RErs ... earn $10,000

• 35 Replies
?

Thork

RErs ... earn $10,000
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
As you all know, FErs have throughout history offered rewards to prove earth flat. Not one has ever been claimed.

Below I submit one such challenge. It is still active and all you need to do is prove one tiny aspect of FET is wrong. The original $1000 reward offer asks for scientific proof-positive (not hearsay, popular opinion, “expert” testimony, majority vote, personal conviction ,organizational ruling, conventional usage, superficial analogy, appeal to “simplicity,” or other indirect means of persuasion) that the earth moves. He has recently increased the offer to $10,000. Still no takers.

"I have offered a substantial reward for such proof if it exists, and haven’t seen anything remotely resembling what I seek in almost two decades since the offer was first made. I'm sure it is not out there. So take note, theologians. Take note, scientists. Take note, Galileo. And quit bluffing. Geocentricity is coming back,and there isn’t a thing you can do to stop it. It offers tremendous advantages over the reigning Copernican model, both scientifically and scripturally. I can just hear you guys saying a few years from now:“We knew it all along"."

He has spent more than two decades offering a reward to anyone who can prove what almost everyone believes: The Earth revolves around the sun. He recently upped that reward offer from $1,000 to $10,000: five grand to anyone who offers "scientific proof positive" that the Earth orbits the sun; another five grand to anyone who proves that the Earth rotates on its axis.

If you think you have what NASA and Newton lacked, write to R.G. Elmendorf at 208 S. Magnolia Drive, Glenshaw 15116.

Source http://www.post-gazette.com/columnists/20020121brian0121p1.asp

So Round Earthers, not only are you unable to provide evidence earth is round, none of you have even been able to prove earth spins or that it is not the centre of the solar system.

Also note for RErs
Quote from: http://www.post-gazette.com/columnists/20020121brian0121p1.asp
Don't tell him about the Foucault Pendulum, the 19th-century device that purportedly shows that our planet rotates beneath a pendulum whose motion remains fixed in space. Elmendorf self-published an 82-page book in 1994 declaring the pendulums fakes.
I must locate a copy as this confirms what I have said many times on this forum.

So RErs ... what have you got?

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
Re: RErs ... earn $10,000
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
Wow... if that's still his address he lives about 20 minutes from me.

He lost me once he mentioned scripture.  You can't prove anything to a religious fanatic.
By eliminating all present contradicting possibilities you would arrive at the present truth. It's impossible to arrive at a future truth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/aberration.html
Stellar Aberration was discovered in 1725 by Bradley,
 in a marvelous example of how we poor humans do lurch (slowly and painfully) forward!
 Since ancient times, dedicated investigators had tried ... and tried ... to find stellar parallax, hoping to prove that the Earth goes around the Sun.
 Bradley was engaged in yet another such attempt ... when he stumbled across the unpredicted phenomenon of stellar aberration -
 thereby proving that the Earth goes around the Sun!
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Well you have an address Markjo and logicalskeptic. If you have all the answers, write him and tell him. It would be interesting to see if any of you can claim the money.

Wow... if that's still his address he lives about 20 minutes from me.

He lost me once he mentioned scripture.  You can't prove anything to a religious fanatic.
Religious fanatics still have money that is as fun to spend as anyone elses.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
As you all know, FErs have throughout history offered rewards to prove earth flat. Not one has ever been claimed.

Below I submit one such challenge. It is still active and all you need to do is prove one tiny aspect of FET is wrong. The original $1000 reward offer asks for scientific proof-positive (not hearsay, popular opinion, “expert” testimony, majority vote, personal conviction ,organizational ruling, conventional usage, superficial analogy, appeal to “simplicity,” or other indirect means of persuasion) (OR ANYTHING THAT I CAN'T SIMPLY SAY THE CONSPIRACY MADE UP) that the earth moves. He has recently increased the offer to $10,000. Still no takers.

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »

I agree... they just don't have the open mind to accept another point of view.
By eliminating all present contradicting possibilities you would arrive at the present truth. It's impossible to arrive at a future truth.

?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »

Below I submit one such challenge. It is still active and all you need to do is prove one tiny aspect of FET is wrong. The original $1000 reward offer asks for scientific proof-positive (not hearsay, popular opinion, “expert” testimony, majority vote, personal conviction ,organizational ruling, conventional usage, superficial analogy, appeal to “simplicity,” or other indirect means of persuasion) (OR ANYTHING THAT I CAN'T SIMPLY SAY THE CONSPIRACY MADE UP) that the earth moves. He has recently increased the offer to $10,000. Still no takers.

What conspiracy? He is a bible bashing geocentric. He believes earth to be flat but he doesn't think there is a conspiracy. He just thinks you are wrong!

Once you have the proof, you could sue him into the floor for not paying up.

Why are you all scared? You argue with us for free, but you don't want to argue the exact same thing for $10k? Set this old guy straight. All these unclaimed FET wagers make RET look awful.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
ummmm because if he is so set in his ways already there is no way anything i will say no matter how scientifically sound will not convince him.

?

Thork

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:29 PM »
There's an assumption. Have you got any facts today?

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »

Once you have the proof, you could sue him into the floor for not paying up.

Why are you all scared? You argue with us for free, but you don't want to argue the exact same thing for $10k? Set this old guy straight. All these unclaimed FET wagers make RET look awful.

I never claimed to have absolute proof of anything.  I just have yet to see a flat earth theory that explains the world and universe around us anywhere near as well as round earth theory does.  I consider myself open minded and I'd be excited to see a flat earth theory that can match round earth theory. 

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »
Can someone book me a ticket in the next space mission?
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
Can someone book me a ticket in the next space mission?

That wouldn't prove anything.  Just saying.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 03:50:19 AM »
Yeah, being in orbit around a RE wouldn't prove anything.

Ha ha ha.

?

Thork

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 03:52:50 AM »
I think you miss the point. There is no point spending a million dollars to win $10,000. If you are so convinced the earth moves, you will have to use your brain and come up with a proof that is low cost.

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 04:05:05 AM »
The point is disproving? Why should you dismiss space flight (or very-high altitude)?

?

Thork

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 04:20:52 AM »
The point is disproving? Why should you dismiss space flight (or very-high altitude)?
The point is relieving this old 'fool' of $10,000. It seems a bit stupid to do that if it will cost you more that $10,000, does it not? You need to dig deep. Come up with something homemade, something you can do in your garage ... something Zetetic.

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 05:40:38 AM »
Yeah, being in orbit around a RE wouldn't prove anything.

Ha ha ha.

So your proof is going to be "I was in orbit, trust me."  Good luck with that.

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 05:53:41 AM »
It looks as if every valid proof is going to be dismissed by FE'ers.

?

Thork

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 05:59:57 AM »
It looks as if every valid proof is going to be dismissed by FE'ers.
This is not a competition by this site. He can't dismiss a proof. He offered a public wager. Why are you so frightened of challenging him? You might just as well admit we have been right all along.

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 06:02:30 AM »
Provocation won't work.

How about Faucault's pendulum?

?

Thork

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 06:04:31 AM »
Provocation won't work.

How about Faucault's pendulum?
You haven't read the OP properly have you?

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 06:17:41 AM »
Since this guy will dismiss every scientific fact or experiment, I am not going to try and do better than thousands of scientifics before me.

Therefore spaceflight (dismissed, what a surprise), therefore Foucault's pendulum (dismissed, what a surprise), etc, etc.

?

Thork

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 06:19:03 AM »
So you cannot prove earth is spinning or revolving around the sun? Very well. It has been noted.

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 06:22:42 AM »
Yeah, contrary to a lot of people here, I don't pretend to be more intelligent than I am.

And since you've agreed that you are dismissing most proofs, there's no need for me to waste any more time..

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 06:43:43 AM »
It is possible to dismiss any proofs by just lying.
Example:

Nutcase: "Prove to me that pandas eat bamboo"
Normal person: "Look, there's a panda eating bamboo"
Nutcase: "That's not proof".

His dismissal of Foucault pendulums is just a slightly more complex amplification of this example. Physics predicts on a rotating earth, a Foucault pendulum should behave as we observe. When this is pointed out to him, he dismisses it as not proof, even though it is. If you're prepared to reject facts then you can dismiss absolutely anything, from the existence of your own nose to the existence of deities - which rather bizarrely, he will accept. Nice hypocrisy.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
Like in George Orwell's timeless classic, "1984."

They use doublethink - the simultaneous holding of two contradictory beliefs - to prevent Thought Crime, anything that was against the Party.  Thought Crime was punishable by death.

Here is how Winston Smith described doublethink in the novel:

"To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself. That was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.'

A horrifying dystopia where the poor stay poor and those in power stay in power forever.  It's a classic.  I recommend it to everyone.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
Thank you for that condescending and irrelevant post.

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 09:54:30 AM »
So we're supposed to believe that some society that won't even try to prove their own beliefs is going to hand over $10000 to someone who "proves" it.

Yeah.

Right.

You should lurk moar in your own forums.
The FAQ needs updating to reflect the falsehood of the FAQ.

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
So we're supposed to believe that some society that won't even try to prove their own beliefs is going to hand over $10000 to someone who "proves" it.

Yeah.

Right.

You should lurk moar in your own forums.

This isn't a reward offered by the FES.  You should read the article.