Just to clear things up

• 16 Replies
?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
Just to clear things up
« on: October 27, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »
Just to clear things up gravity is not something pushing or pulling on anything. Gravity is the attraction between objects that have mass or energy. That is all
I dont care what you think as long as it's about me.

Re: Just to clear things up
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:04:14 PM »
Thanks for clearing things up. So, objects attracted to each other by the force of gravity are not being pulled toward each other?

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
No, think of it as a vacume of sorts sucking things towards it but never actually trapping them.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »
I see, thanks for clearing things up. So, what is the difference between something being sucked towards something and something being pulled towards something?

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »
Please note that I am stating a very simplified version of gravitation please view the wikepedia page to view a rather big worded, long winded, full explaination of gravitation.

To answer your question: The "sucking" is what everyone perceives as pulling, There really is no exact difference.

P.S I applaud you on your Socretian way of asking questions. Very nice :)

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »
No, think of it as a vacume of sorts sucking things towards it but never actually trapping them.
Oh my.  I think you need to review Physics.
Quantum Ab Hoc

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every point mass in the universe attracts every other point mass with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

where:
 F is the force between the masses,
 G is the gravitational constant,
 m1 is the first mass,
 m2 is the second mass, and
 r is the distance between the masses

Assuming SI units, F is measured in newtons (N), m1 and m2 in kilograms (kg), r in meters (m), and the constant G is approximately equal to 6.674×10^−11 N m2 kg^−2.

It's not sucking and it's not pulling.  It's simply attraction.  Force means how much they move.  Newtons is a unit of weight, and this is how we can determine the force gravity is pulling on an object.  Therefore, it is a unit of force.  Kilograms is mass, newtons is weight, pounds are weight.  Hence, you get things like, "A pressure of x pounds per square inch."  The pounds (unit of weight) is how much force is being applied to every square inch.  There, you get a pressure lesson too.

This is Newton's law of course; Einstein changed up the rules a bit.

Edit:  I felt like I should add this.  Yes!  Energy too.  That was Einstein, again.  Remember E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.  This creates effects such as high energy causing gravity.  In General Relativity, gravity is the warping of spacetime.  This causes things to go faster (through space), and since time and space are a continuum, time will also be distorted (more as we approach the speed of light).  Energy can warp spacetime as well.  You could, hypothetically, shoot a laser with huge amounts of energy and warp spacetime in that direction.  When approaching the laser, you would begin to get "carried away" in the "current" and time would slow down as well.  This is a gravitational wave.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:52:51 PM by El Cid »

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »
Cool copypasta, bro.

Believe it or not we are all aware of that there is a theory of gravity.

El Cid

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »
Cool copypasta, bro.

Believe it or not we are all aware of that there is a theory of gravity.
But I thought FET maintained gravity?  Only that it doesn't affect Earth?

If not, then how do you explain tides?

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »
Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every point mass in the universe attracts every other point mass with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

where:
 F is the force between the masses,
 G is the gravitational constant,
 m1 is the first mass,
 m2 is the second mass, and
 r is the distance between the masses

Assuming SI units, F is measured in newtons (N), m1 and m2 in kilograms (kg), r in meters (m), and the constant G is approximately equal to 6.674×10^−11 N m2 kg^−2.

It's not sucking and it's not pulling.  It's simply attraction.  Force means how much they move.  Newtons is a unit of weight, and this is how we can determine the force gravity is pulling on an object.  Therefore, it is a unit of force.  Kilograms is mass, newtons is weight, pounds are weight.  Hence, you get things like, "A pressure of x pounds per square inch."  The pounds (unit of weight) is how much force is being applied to every square inch.  There, you get a pressure lesson too.

This is Newton's law of course; Einstein changed up the rules a bit.

Edit:  I felt like I should add this.  Yes!  Energy too.  That was Einstein, again.  Remember E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.  This creates effects such as high energy causing gravity.  In General Relativity, gravity is the warping of spacetime.  This causes things to go faster (through space), and since time and space are a continuum, time will also be distorted (more as we approach the speed of light).  Energy can warp spacetime as well.  You could, hypothetically, shoot a laser with huge amounts of energy and warp spacetime in that direction.  When approaching the laser, you would begin to get "carried away" in the "current" and time would slow down as well.  This is a gravitational wave.

Thanks for helping me on this.

I saw a lot of people talk about this wrong in the forum and they wern't all Flat Earthers 

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
Thanks for clearing things up.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »
Oh my.  I think you need to review Physics.

Says the person who likes to make up physics that suits his theory
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »
As gravity is measurable between non-astronomical corpses (?), I don´t think were are talking about a gravity theory, FE´ers
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Three different things are being said here,  so I'll address each one separately.

Just to clear things up gravity is not something pushing or pulling on anything. Gravity is the attraction between objects that have mass or energy. That is all

Yes, we know that. Was this supposed to be a prelude to a point, or are you just a first-year physics student?

(copypasta)

This is just semantics. Does it really matter if our over-simplified mentions of gravity refer to it as pulling, sucking, or an attraction?

As gravity is measurable between non-astronomical corpses (?), I don´t think were are talking about a gravity theory, FE´ers

Measurable by who?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:37:23 PM by Tausami »

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
By you, if you have the patience needed to build a Cavendish Torsion Balance
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

El Cid

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
Aaauuugh!!  Your...your picture!

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
Aaauuugh!!  Your...your picture!

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!

No its not it's true, but lets try to stay on topic please