The Human Eye is definitely the right tool to determine the shape of the earth

• 48 Replies
?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
The human eye is a flawless tool, which is only operated by open minded scientific people.

Here are some examples of how amazing the human eye is at discerning with extreme accuracy the orientation of objects.

The above image does not contain any motion
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
What tool do you suggest? How far are you willing to take this Berkleyan idea? If I cannot trust my eyes, can I trust the instruments I use? After all, people have hallucinated. Perhaps astronauts are only hallucinating the earth's curvature? Some people cannot distinguish colour. Perhaps colour does not truly exist.
For that matter should I trust my reason? People's minds are highly unstable. Food and other drugs clearly influence it's ability to reason. How then can I rely on such an easily malleable tool?

No. This cannot stand. Whatever truth may be divined must be divined using the tools we are given to the best of our ability lest we delve into pure sophism.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo

That is correct, though I admit I don't see what you're getting at.

This image doesn't contain any motion either:

Does it tell us anything about the shape of the Earth?
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

But when I look at the apple it doesn't look like it is moveing like the OP pic. I think the point is the human eye is easily tricked and not to be relied on for the arguement it looks flat therefore it is.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Because the apparent motion of the OP's image changes based on where my eyes are, it is either an optical illusion or expensive eye-tracking equipment was added to my computer when I wasn't looking. Thus, I can logically assume that the it a stationary image.

There, you see: reason made you think that you couldn't rely solely on your eyes.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
The image in the op only moves because our eyes are extremely accurate.

The human eye can detect a single photon in a dark room.

The word you are looking for is sensitive not accurate. Acordeing to the link our eye is sensitive enough to see a single photon but not very likely.
A quote from the article "neural filters only allow a signal to pass to the brain to trigger a conscious response when at least about five to nine arrive within less than 100 ms."

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor

Incorrectly identifying a stationary object is not an indicator of accuracy.

This one requires reading, understanding, and following written instructions.  Hopefully accomplishing this test isnt limited to RE'rs

Swirling illusion
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:57:05 PM by Theodolite »

Because the apparent motion of the OP's image changes based on where my eyes are, it is either an optical illusion or expensive eye-tracking equipment was added to my computer when I wasn't looking. Thus, I can logically assume that the it a stationary image.

What proof do you have that the conspiracy hasn't modified your computer in this way?
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
I assumed that we are all aware that this illusion works on a piece of paper

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer

Yes it is. The eye is able to receive input from hundreds of different sources at once and accurately report them to the brain. While you are looking at one thing, the eye is capturing information from other things. The brain sees that the little spots are misaligned and adjusts it for you. The image wouldn't move if our eyes weren't accurate and had such amazing resolving power.

No camera can match the human eye. It is the most advanced imaging tool on earth.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:51:47 AM by Tom Bishop »

Yes it is. The eye is able to receive input from hundreds of different sources at once and accurately report them to the brain. While you are looking at one thing, the eye is capturing information from other things. The brain sees that the little spots are misaligned and adjusts it for you. The image wouldn't move if our eyes weren't accurate and had such amazing resolving power.

No camera can match the human eye. It is the most advanced imaging tool on earth.

A person looking at the picture will tell you that it looks like it is moving. A camera with imaging software will tell you that the picture definitely not moving. If the human eye is so very advanced, why is it fooled by this simple illusion whereas a camera is not?
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
You took the words out of my mouth, also, if you wish to debate this topic, please take the time to print the image and you will see that the illusion persists.  It points out basic flaws in the human eye, as does the 2nd link.  I can provide dozens more, all of which point out how easily fooled the human eye is.

This question for for FE'rs (well, people who present themselves as believing in a FE)

If you were standing in a soccer field, and there were 2 stakes in the ground 40 feet apart, and you were standing between them.  Do you think you could place a 3rd stake in line between the first 2 stakes using your human eye, lining yourself up with them...

(this is first week surveying, for those that are keeping score at home)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:44:58 PM by Theodolite »

What about the zoom function?

PizzaPlanet

But when I look at the apple it doesn't look like it is moveing like the OP pic.
What are you talking about? The OP's pic isn't moving. Even the OP himself confirms it.

I did not say it was moving. I said it looked like it was moving.

PizzaPlanet

But it doesn't.

Yes, that is why it is called a illusion.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
be nice barrog, the illusion requires an IQ over 50 to comprehend, and describe said comrehension

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
be nice barrog, the illusion requires an IQ over 50 to comprehend, and describe said comrehension

Thork rides the short bus to forum every day.  We all need to show him patience and understanding.  He is not different from you or I, he is special.

Thork rides the short bus to forum every day.  We all need to show him patience and understanding.  He is not different from you or I, he is special.

Hopefully you guys are just very subtle, and the irony is intentional.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
My irony is almost always intentional, I can assure you.  Unless, of course, I do not understand it.  In that case, it may be unintentional, but either way, the irony gets across.

PizzaPlanet

You seem to be missing my point. What I've been trying to say, and I believe I was making myself clear, is that I see no "illusion" whatsoever in this picture. It's perfectly still, no matter how long I stare at it, or squint my eyes. What is it that I'm supposed to see?

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Ad hominem, you think you're better than I am...
Also, I can provide evidence of my IQ being higher than 50, if you wish. I'm not even going to expect the credentials you've claimed you have in return! Well, I am going to expect them, but I won't explicitly demand them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:04:50 AM by PizzaPlanet »

?

trig

You seem to be missing my point. What I've been trying to say, and I believe I was making myself clear, is that I see no "illusion" whatsoever in this picture. It's perfectly still, no matter how long I stare at it, or squint my eyes. What is it that I'm supposed to see?

Nice trolling. Or maybe you are in desperate need of glasses, since the illusion stops when the colored blocks are seen blurred.

Anyway, just to give you the benefit of the doubt, try looking at the picture at different distances, always having all of the picture on sight. Some 20 cm high at arms length should be good enough.

Ahh I see. You may have been clear but it was lost on me. Maybe you are color blind? I ask this because seeing the color is nesscery for it to work. Also if I stare it will not work. I have to move my eyes around the pic a bit to make the illusion work. It should look like the color wheels are turning.

PizzaPlanet

Or maybe you are in desperate need of glasses, since the illusion stops when the colored blocks are seen blurred.
I do wear glasses. I've had my prescription checked recently. With glasses on, my eyesight is "20/20", as you Americans would describe it.

Ahh I see. You may have been clear but it was lost on me. Maybe you are color blind? I ask this because seeing the color is nesscery for it to work. Also if I stare it will not work. I have to move my eyes around the pic a bit to make the illusion work. It should look like the color wheels are turning.
I'm not colour-blind to the best of my knowledge. I can see yellow, blue and black elements in these circles. If there are any others, then I'm likely colour-blind.

I've spent too much time entirely trying to make this work now, and it just doesn't. I'm sorry that I was aggressive about this - I suspected Theodolite is just trolling as usual.

It doesn't work for you so Theodolite is trolling?

Intersting view...

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Or maybe you are in desperate need of glasses, since the illusion stops when the colored blocks are seen blurred.
I do wear glasses. I've had my prescription checked recently. With glasses on, my eyesight is "20/20", as you Americans would describe it.

I'm not colour-blind to the best of my knowledge. I can see yellow, blue and black elements in these circles. If there are any others, then I'm likely colour-blind.

I've spent too much time entirely trying to make this work now, and it just doesn't. I'm sorry that I was aggressive about this - I suspected Theodolite is just trolling as usual.
You are likely looking at it from too far away.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor

I understand now.  I am so used to people on here pretending to not understand something, but you truly dont see the illusion.  Try the link, there is another illusion there.

And I'm not trolling, I provided significant evidence that zetecism is flawed due to the human eye being unreliable.

Also, no one has answered my question about putting stakes in line