A Bit Of Logic For You To Ponder.

• 78 Replies
Re: A Bit Of Logic For You To Ponder.
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
It's far from being demonstrated as fictional.
“The Earth looks flat, therefore it is” FEers wisdom.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
That's entirely irrelevant. You've asked if it's possible, and you've received your answer.
How likely that possibility might be is an entire new subject.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
It's not irrelevant. It was an answer to you saying that the RE could be fictional.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
It's not irrelevant. It was an answer to you saying that the RE could be fictional.

I think you mean a rebuttal.  An "answer" would require a question to have been asked.

El Cid

• ...And the truth shall set you free.
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
There is a possibility of anything.

For example, we could be alien monkeys with forty-two eyeballs and seventeen brains and eight hearts, hooked up to a machine that gives our nervous system inputs and uses the outputs to give us the illusion of this world.

Let us not talk about possibilities.  Let's assume the universe is objective, and subscribe to the philosophy of Occam's razor; such speculation is meaningless.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
In science we can only say that things are more or less likely. There is no "proof" of the kind you are looking for.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

El Cid

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
In science we can only say that things are more or less likely. There is no "proof" of the kind you are looking for.

Hume says that we cannot even say if something is more or less likely.  If somebody flips a coin from out of your view, and gets heads, and heads again, and heads again, and heads again, then don't you start to suspect that maybe it's a weird coin with two heads?  But you cannot prove this; in fact, you can't say whether it's more likely.  Even if the coin is flipped a million times, only getting heads, it still could entirely be possible that it is a freak coincidence.  If you get tails, then you know immediately that it was.  Even probabilites are rendered meaningless by induction.

But this is not science, which is why I suggest that we assume the universe to be objective, and subscribe to the philosophy of Occam's razor, so that we don't have to worry about "maybe this, maybe that" because we will assume the simplest to be true.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
694 extrasolar planets have been observed. and around 100 billion stars. The probability that the earth is the only flat planet would be 0.144% and out of all celestial bodies we have observed none are flat so the probability of the earth being the only flat celestial body is 0.000000001%. If you want to count all the celestial bodies we estimate there are there is a 0.00000000001% chance that the earth is the only thing in the universe that is flat.

We haven't actually SEEN all of those planets, and all of those stars though. We don't have pictures of every single extrasolar planet and every single star. Astronomers just measure how many stars appear to be in a cluster or area, and then log them all. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

If it only took 1 second to look find each of the 100 billion stars, catalog them, take a picture, and see if it is flat or not, it would still take over 3000 years to complete such a task. Your probabilities are invalid, since we don't actually know how many of those planets and stars are flat or not.

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
With the lack of explanation about the formation of a flat planet, theory lets us think that all planets are round. Until disproven.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »
With the lack of explanation about the formation of life, theory lets us think that life doesn't exist. Until disproven [sic].

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
With the lack of explanation about the how gravitation works, theory lets us think that gravity does not work. Until disproven. [sic]

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
With the lack of evidence of America existing, America didn't exist before it was discovered.

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2011, 02:24:29 AM »
I was talking THEORY. You really have your way in misreading and misunderstanding my mails, you're good!

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:35 AM »
I was talking THEORY. You really have your way in misreading and misunderstanding my mails, you're good!

???

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2011, 01:25:20 AM »

???

What's your point, apart that I wrote the wrong word?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2011, 08:11:48 AM »

???

What's your point, apart that I wrote the wrong word?

What was it suppose to say?

Nails? Pails? Sails? Tails? Rails? Wails? Fails?

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »
Posts!

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
America not existing was a theory. People thought they have already mapped the Earth, and that there is no more land to find.
The theory of gravitation is a theory as well. A clue in the name.

El Cid

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
Source:  http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm

A hypothesis is an educated guess, based on observation. Usually, a hypothesis can be supported or refuted through experimentation or more observation. A hypothesis can be disproven, but not proven to be true.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. A theory is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it. Therefore, theories can be disproven. Basically, if evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, then the hypothesis can become accepted as a good explanation of a phenomenon. One definition of a theory is to say it's an accepted hypothesis.

A law generalizes a body of observations. At the time it is made, no exceptions have been found to a law. Scientific laws explain things, but they do not describe them. One way to tell a law and a theory apart is to ask if the description gives you a means to explain 'why'.

Example: Consider Newton's Law of Gravity. Newton could use this law to predict the behavior of a dropped object, but he couldn't explain why it happened.

As you can see, the difference between a theory and a law are not whether they are proven.  Yes, gravity is a law, but this does not mean it has been "proved."  In fact, General Relativity makes it not entirely true, and yet it is still a law.