i just proved the earth is round

• 44 Replies

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
Re: i just proved the earth is round
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »

And you measured it?
No, I did not. I merely judged its size with my eyes, and decided it was too large to be a tiny, distant satellite.
From my eye, I judge it to be moving no faster than 70 times it's size per second.
??? Have you been to see an Optician recently?

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
And you measured it?
No, I did not. I merely judged its size with my eyes, and decided it was too large to be a tiny, distant satellite.
From my eye, I judge it to be moving no faster than 70 times it's size per second.
Why?  Am I seeing something I shouldn't?

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 01:45:10 AM »
And you measured it?
Yes. That dot is moving nowhere near as quickly.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »
And you measured it?
Care to back this claim?

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »
And you measured it?
Care to back this claim?
Look at the width of the dot. Estimate seventy times the width of that dot in your head. Judge whether or not it travels that distance in one second.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
And you measured it?
Care to back this claim?
Look at the width of the dot. Estimate seventy times the width of that dot in your head. Judge whether or not it travels that distance in one second.
Done.  I judge that it does.

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 01:59:11 AM »
And you measured it?
Care to back this claim?
It most certainly does not. There must be something wrong with your eyesight.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »
Perhaps you should suggest a more objective method for supporting this claim

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »
Why? Why should I doubt what I can clearly observe? My eyes are perfectly functional, thank you very much.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:09 AM »
In 360p (the default size of the YouTube object; even though the video is in 240p, it gets stretched, so that the final dimensions are 640x360), the dot is approximately 6 pixels wide. Let's assume that I'm horrendously biased and that the actual width of the dot is 4 pixels (it isn't).
70 times 4 is 280. Let's assume that I'm horrendously biased and that the actual displacement is 240 (it isn't).
Here's a screenshot taken at the 9th second, depicting a 240-pixel displacement (pink), and an approximation of the actually observed displacement over two seconds (red).
EDIT: I've added cyan - a 70-pixel displacement, assuming the station is 1 pixel wide, which it really isn't.

Even with my most sincere anti-FE-bias measures, your claim about the station moving 70 times its width per second, the difference is astounding.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:47:09 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »
In 360p (the default size of the YouTube object; even though the video is in 240p, it gets stretched, so that the final dimensions are 640x360), the dot is approximately 6 pixels wide. Let's assume that I'm horrendously biased and that the actual width of the dot is 4 pixels (it isn't).
70 times 4 is 280. Let's assume that I'm horrendously biased and that the actual displacement is 240 (it isn't).
Here's a screenshot taken at the 9th second, depicting a 240-pixel displacement (pink), and an approximation of the actually observed displacement over two seconds (red).
EDIT: I've added cyan - a 70-pixel displacement, assuming the station is 1 pixel wide, which it really isn't.

Even with my most sincere anti-FE-bias measures, your claim about the station moving 70 times its width per second, the difference is astounding.
So your trying to demonstrate that it's moving too slowly. See, Lord Xenu, even PizzaPlanet agrees that it's not moving too fast.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 09:19:53 AM »

For me to accept this, you must first justify this:

assuming the station is 1 pixel wide, which it really isn't.

Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me that you could be right.  It may even be less than 1 pixel wide.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:23:26 AM by Nolhekh »

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »

So your trying to demonstrate that it's moving too slowly. See, Lord Xenu, even PizzaPlanet agrees that it's not moving too fast.
That it's moving to quickly, or, more likely, that the dot is far too big. Think how small and distant this satellite supposedly is. And yet it appears bigger than a star!

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2011, 10:37:33 AM »
So you're trying to demonstrate that it's moving too slowly. See, Lord Xenu, even PizzaPlanet agrees that it's not moving too fast.
Yes.

Edit: Actually, it just occurred to me that you could be right.  It may even be less than 1 pixel wide.
Of course, but that instantly dismisses the video as fake (or, well, not fake, but not of the ISS).
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »
So you're trying to demonstrate that it's moving too slowly. See, Lord Xenu, even PizzaPlanet agrees that it's not moving too fast.
Yes.

Of course, but that instantly dismisses the video as fake (or, well, not fake, but not of the ISS).

I see no reason to believe that the glint of light in the video represents the true angular size of the object.