"Because Samuel Birley Rowbotham said so" - a valid argument?

• 79 Replies
?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
Re: "Because Samuel Birley Rowbotham said so" - a valid argument?
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 07:44:41 AM »
My claim to be a surveyor is more valid than old sammy's.
Not at all. It's a wild claim that you've been throwing around to validate your (possibly Wikipedia-based) knowledge.

My statements and claims are long standing on this forum, no one has debated me on the topic, so according to the way this place operates, its considered fact.

If you wish to discuss reasons why I am not a surveyor, please provide links to modern survey procedures and outline errors in my statements.

I have already linked a university's website's article on surveying, it is very precise and correctly identifies modern procedures.

If you missed it, please use the search function, lurk moar, and burn ENaG

My claim to be a surveyor is more valid than old sammy's.

Fantastic!  According to most REers though just your word on this is not enough.  I'm sure you'll be willing to back this claim up by posting your credentials, as has been demanded of us regarding Dr Rowbotham.

Sure, I have just posted a copy of my education, identified my employer, and written down my professional designation in the same thread that the rest of you have posted your personal information. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:47:36 AM by Theodolite »
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:04 AM »
Sure, I have just posted a copy of my education, identified my employer, and written down my professional designation in the same thread that the rest of you have posted your personal information.

Which thread is that?  Can I have a link?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 07:55:15 AM »

Check your post history, its the one where you provided your personal information

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »

Check your post history, its the one where you provided your personal information

I've never provided any personal information.  Of course, I've never made any claims regarding my education or profession, either.

So, link?

PizzaPlanet

• google
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 08:29:03 AM »
Looks like Theodolite is making shit up.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Thork

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:59 AM »
He makes tea in a surveyor's office. I'm sure we got to the bottom of this before. He's like an admin clerk or something.

« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »
ITT: Momentia does what FE zealos have yet to do. Do an experiment (albiet not perfect) and post the results. Lots of pictures, lots of info.

Then: Pedantic arguing about Theolodites credentials and opinions.

Am I the only one who looked ate Momentias post? do you FE zealots not see how devastating that is to your precious BLE, SBR, and ENAG? Even if his surveying technique was a little flawed you cant argue with the pictures and a laser pointing up over the target bridge.

Momentia..... thanks for doing this stuff. You are my hero.
Your god was nailed to a cross. Mine carries a hammer...... any questions?

?

Thork

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »
I didn't even bother replying to Momentia's pictures because even other RErs could see how flawed that argument was.
Please, momentia.  You are talking about centimeters over a 6 mile stretch of water.  Your diagram of a round Earth is grossly exaggerated.  And neither of the photos you presented show what could even remotely be construed as a completely straight 6 mile path of water.

There is no hard data, measurement, or figures. He finishes with "it appears". Very convincing I'm sure. ::)

Momentia..... thanks for doing this stuff. You are my hero.
Get a room. You are making other people uncomfortable.

PizzaPlanet

• google
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 09:30:43 AM »
Momentia's "experiment" (which is entirely unverified and inconclusive) supports EAT, as EAT-FE results would, indeed, be equivalent to RE results.
Of course, it would first have to be actually performed, probably utilising lasers. Posting pictures doesn't help at all.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
First, this is not my personal experiment, it is some one else's.

Second, I choose the word "appear" too quickly.
Heres a photo that is blurrier, but demonstrates scale better, as it has a boxcar going over the top:

You can see that the far bridge is at least one boxcar height below the second bridge, (measured at the second bridge.)
Boxcars are always taller than 1 meter, so the third bridge is much lower than predicted for FE. Therefore RE.

Also, Pizza, if "EAT-FE results would, indeed, be equivalent to RE results," what evidence do you have for a flat earth?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
Momentia's "experiment" (which is entirely unverified and inconclusive) supports EAT, as EAT-FE results would, indeed, be equivalent to RE results.

Does this mean that you concede that the earth does look round?  I ask because the whole point of the BLE is to prove that the earth doesn't look round. 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
My credentials:

Mr XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, BCLS

?

trig

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2011, 04:48:31 AM »
Dr Rowbotham was an excellent man who excelled in everything he attempted, including medicine. When he played golf it is recorded that he usually scored at least 4 hole-in-ones per round.

Why should we doubt such a great man?
Why do you even bother trolling the upper fora? Even Tiger Woods is orders of magnitude below the feat that you attribute to non-doctor Rowbotham. One count, done 4 years ago, was of 19 hole in one's, and that is an astounding feat.

You might as well say that Rowbotham ran 100 meters in 8 seconds.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »
But, I thought that Rowbotham could walk on water, heal the crippled, and turn water into wine.  Oh, wait, I am thing about someone else.

?

Thork

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
But, I thought that Rowbotham could walk on water, heal the crippled, and turn water into wine.  Oh, wait, I am thing about someone else.
No, that's Rowbotham.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2011, 06:03:34 PM »
No, that's Rowbotham.

hahaha where is the like button

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
No, that's Rowbotham.

Next to the dislike button.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »
No, that's Rowbotham.

Next to the dislike button.

dam you i actually looked

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
And we know that there is indeed someone with your alleged name. We want something more... concrete.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2011, 01:47:06 PM »
And we know that there is indeed someone with your alleged name. We want something more... concrete.

How about the fact that Rowbotham used non adequate means of surveying as described by his experiment, and therefore produced results that have no bearing on the shape of the earth.  Its obvious as someone who is not a surveyor that observing with the tools available to him at the time that inaccurate results could easily have been produced.

What is really in need of something more a concrete explanation is your reasoning behind excepting the observations of a man who was not a surveyor by today's standards, nor did he have access to the preciseness of today's equipment, yet you still accept based off of experiments that he conducted over a hundred years ago that he is in fact correct and that eistien, perhaps the smartest man ever to have lived, is incorrect about the shape of the earth?

To me it would seem much more zetetic to accept the possibility that there were factors overlooked by Rowbotham than it would be to assume that the earth is flat.  Why jump to such big conclusions?  When I perform an experiment in biology or chemistry, and i get a non standard result, i dont immediately jump to the conclusion that all biologists or chemists before me were wrong, i take a long hard look at my experiment, while noting my results.  Rowbotham should have rendered his own results inconclusive, and assumed that there was something that he missed or some inaccuracy in his method.  He should have recorded his results, and not disregarded them, but they are far from conclusive evidence that the earth is flat.