How long has The Conspiracy Existed?

• 54 Replies
How long has The Conspiracy Existed?
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »
I'm looking for some diverse answers as to how long The Round Earth Conspiracy has been around.

I've seen claims of a round Earth date back to age of the Greeks and Romans, though those may be fabrications created by the conspiracy, so I'm not sure.

?

alex00

• The Earth is as flat as Pamela Anderson
Re: How long has The Conspiracy Existed?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
there is no conspiracy, its all BS
The Official Flat Earth Lawyer:

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
yes, there is no massive conspiracy.
the earth just appears to be spherical, especially when you were taught that.
it really is just a giant disc, and when they think they are orbiting around the earth, they are really circling the disc.
in just months when commercial space flight begins the truth will come out quickly.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 02:00:27 AM »
I believe you can pinpoint the date to 1664.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=50048.msg1229448#msg1229448

However these are my findings and not generally accepted by the society ... yet.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 02:52:23 AM »
It's generally accepted that it started with NASA. Aristotle was simply wrong.

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »
No, that is not generally accepted. The USA is not the centre of the universe.

NASA was formed in 1958. Sputnik 1 allegedly orbited a round earth in 1957. NASA was a reaction to Sputnik. The conspiracy is obviously older than NASA.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:21:01 AM by Thork »

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:56:02 AM »
yes, there is no massive conspiracy.
the earth just appears to be spherical, especially when you were taught that.
it really is just a giant disc, and when they think they are orbiting around the earth, they are really circling the disc.
in just months when commercial space flight begins the truth will come out quickly.
How would that make any difference?  If Astronauts who regularly orbit the Earth are deceived by this optical illusion you espouse, then how will civilians in near space have any better prospect of viewing the Earth as a flat disc?

First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:38 AM »
I'm looking for some diverse answers as to how long The Round Earth Conspiracy has been around.

I've seen claims of a round Earth date back to age of the Greeks and Romans, though those may be fabrications created by the conspiracy, so I'm not sure.

As long as the forum has been here.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 04:50:50 AM »

The conspiracy arrived with the invention of tinfoil. It's how these guys block out the RE propaganda that's getting beamed into our heads all the time. Once they put on the homemade anti-propaganda hats, BOOM, they saw the light and a conspiracy was born.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 05:27:47 AM »
Thank you. Some of the answers here have been interesting.

I have one other question.  Assuming this conspiracy were true,  why haven't any of you blackmailed The current leader of the Conspiracy?

How hard could it be, to send letters to random Science organizations in the hopes of stumbling across the conspiracy?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 05:31:38 AM »
I, personally, send blackmail letters to people in the name of the FET.  For some reason, they don't seem to get a lot of responses.  Go figure.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »
I, personally, send blackmail letters to people in the name of the FET.  For some reason, they don't seem to get a lot of responses.  Go figure.
You know that constitutes undeniable proof that the conspiracy exists, right? I mean, if there was no conspiracy, they wouldn't be afraid to send a reply, right? Can I have some tinfoil, please?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
The conspiracy traces to Nuremberg the 14th and 15th centuries and the ascendency of the BGMG under the House of Guelph. In the 15th century cartography was entering an exciting new time. New lands were being found. Previously uncharted islands, indeed even continents, were being added to world maps. The BGMG found a splendid way to find massive amounts of Royal funding (commissions). If you convince burgeoning world powers that their maps are completely inadequate and only a globe can accurately depict the earth, one is in for a lot of commissioned work. Add to that the fact globes became a status symbol in vogue among the wealthy of the period and you have an enormous cash cow.
But this ignores (or only scrapes) the actual depth of the plan. The goal of the BGMG was not map-making or wealth from it. The simple goal was power. To gain influence at court led to all sorts of potential for abuse of such power. This was an age where the court was the center of power; "scientists" vied to have their ideas heard. The difference between living in obscurity and becoming a household name was a "discovery" away.
Further, it was the Age of Discovery, where untold wealth might be a ship's journey away for a kingdom -- indeed this was the genesis of European imperialism. Map makers invented islands and continents to attain funding for expeditions. The closer you find yourselves to the strings of power, the more opportunity for corruption.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
The conspiracy traces to Nuremberg the 14th and 15th centuries and the ascendency of the BGMG under the House of Guelph. In the 15th century cartography was entering an exciting new time. New lands were being found. Previously uncharted islands, indeed even continents, were being added to world maps. The BGMG found a splendid way to find massive amounts of Royal funding (commissions). If you convince burgeoning world powers that their maps are completely inadequate and only a globe can accurately depict the earth, one is in for a lot of commissioned work. Add to that the fact globes became a status symbol in vogue among the wealthy of the period and you have an enormous cash cow.
But this ignores (or only scrapes) the actual depth of the plan. The goal of the BGMG was not map-making or wealth from it. The simple goal was power. To gain influence at court led to all sorts of potential for abuse of such power. This was an age where the court was the center of power; "scientists" vied to have their ideas heard. The difference between living in obscurity and becoming a household name was a "discovery" away.
Further, it was the Age of Discovery, where untold wealth might be a ship's journey away for a kingdom -- indeed this was the genesis of European imperialism. Map makers invented islands and continents to attain funding for expeditions. The closer you find yourselves to the strings of power, the more opportunity for corruption.

Actually, it think it might have had to have started earlier; Contrary to popular belief, most people thought the earth was round back then.  Since it was common knowledge, so to speak, "discovering" that the earth was round would've been as meaningless as "discovering" that water was blue.

I've read that Eratosthenes managed to "measure" the circumference of the earth, about a thousand years before Colonial Times; Again, the Greeks and Romans believed that the earth was at least somewhat Spherical.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »
The Greeks of antiquity pursued the Pythagorean ideal that the earth was a globe based on it's being a holy shape. It was in no way an empirical idea. The idea that people thought the earth was round before the conspiracy is, of course, true. There was nothing nefarious about this belief. They were simply mistaken. Eratosthanes, for example, assumes the sun is inconceivably far away and that the sun's light arrives in parallel waves. This is not the case. The light fixture above my kitchen table will cause the shadows belonging to the cups and vase to be cast at differing angles. This in no way proves my table is a sphere.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »

As long as the forum has been here.

This.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
Eratosthanes, for example, assumes the sun is inconceivably far away and that the sun's light arrives in parallel waves.

Eratosthanes did not set out to prove that the earth is round.  He set out to calculate the diameter of the round earth.  The method that he used works consistently in a round earth environment, however the same method provides inconsistent results when used in a flat earth environment.  The experiment itself does not necessarily prove that the earth is round, but trying it in a FE context does clearly show that the earth can't be flat.

Before you ask, yes I can say from personal experience that the method provides consistent RE results because I have personally performed this experiment as part of a 9th grade earth science class lab.  My results were consistent with other class members who performed the same experiment.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:01:11 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
Eratosthanes did not set out to prove that the earth is round.  He set out to calculate the diameter of the round earth. 

Precisely. He did not try to prove the earth round. He assumed the earth was round and proceeded. Which is why it is extremely frustrating to see every globularist and his brother tell us something akin to: "Eratosthenes proved the earth was a globe thousands of years before NASA."

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
No, that is not generally accepted. The USA is not the centre of the universe.

NASA was formed in 1958. Sputnik 1 allegedly orbited a round earth in 1957. NASA was a reaction to Sputnik. The conspiracy is obviously older than NASA.

*sigh*

You know what I mean.

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »
The Greeks of antiquity pursued the Pythagorean ideal that the earth was a globe based on it's being a holy shape. It was in no way an empirical idea. The idea that people thought the earth was round before the conspiracy is, of course, true. There was nothing nefarious about this belief. They were simply mistaken. Eratosthanes, for example, assumes the sun is inconceivably far away and that the sun's light arrives in parallel waves. This is not the case. The light fixture above my kitchen table will cause the shadows belonging to the cups and vase to be cast at differing angles. This in no way proves my table is a sphere.

My point was, that if the idea of a Round earth came before the conspiracy, regardless of it's veracity, there's no point in "discovering" that the earth is round; There would be nothing to gain from pointing out the "obvious*", regardless of whether or not it were true.

*As in, "The earth is round? No shit, Columbus."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
Eratosthanes did not set out to prove that the earth is round.  He set out to calculate the diameter of the round earth. 

Precisely. He did not try to prove the earth round. He assumed the earth was round and proceeded. Which is why it is extremely frustrating to see every globularist and his brother tell us something akin to: "Eratosthenes proved the earth was a globe thousands of years before NASA."

But the fact remains that Eratosthanes's method provides consistent results in a round earth context but does not provide consistent results in a flat earth context.  This undeniable fact strongly suggests that his assumption of a round earth was correct.

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »

My point was, that if the idea of a Round earth came before the conspiracy, regardless of it's veracity, there's no point in "discovering" that the earth is round; There would be nothing to gain from pointing out the "obvious*", regardless of whether or not it were true.

*As in, "The earth is round? No shit, Columbus."

Anyone?

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »
Also see my Shakespeare thread which was, I feel unjustifiably, moved to RM:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=50882.msg1247731#msg1247731

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=50882.msg1247731#msg1247731

Irrelevant and off topic.  If you feel that a thread has been unjustly moved, then discuss it in the appropriate forum.

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 08:50:53 AM »

Irrelevant and off topic.  If you feel that a thread has been unjustly moved, then discuss it in the appropriate forum.
It is evidence that the conspiracy has existed at least since the Elizabethan era. It is very much on topic.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »

It is evidence that the conspiracy has existed at least since the Elizabethan era. It is very much on topic.
Speculation is not evidence.

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »

Speculation is not evidence.
Literary analysis has been used to prove more bizarre things before. Are you saying that the entire field is invalid? And with a conspiracy that has learned advanced techniques for covering its tracks, hard evidence is difficult to come by.

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
If you were to look it up on wikipedia, you would find a very interesting fact. Obama's ancestors were the first africans to live in ancient greece. They created the entire conspiracy to ensure that their descendents would be the rulers of the United States of America.

?

alex00

• The Earth is as flat as Pamela Anderson
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »

Uhh Russia was first country to see space.
The Official Flat Earth Lawyer:

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »
The conspiracy traces to Nuremberg the 14th and 15th centuries and the ascendency of the BGMG under the House of Guelph.

Ah yes, the Bavarian Globe Makers Guild.  Far and away the most corrupt organization to exist prior to the formation of NASA.

Uhh Russia was first country to see space.

Yes, you might want to try catching up before trying to look intelligent.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?