Other Discussion Boards > Philosophy, Religion & Society

UK Internet Censorship Proposal

(1/5) > >>

Hazbollah:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15252128
I have to say I have mixed thoughts on this. As someone who's 'got the t-shirt' I think that such a scheme is flawed in many ways. Mainly moral (it's essentially outright censorship and sets a bad precedent) but also practical in that it's impossible to run a block in such a way what with proxies and such.
Opinions?

Thork:
I don't understand the problem? The ISPs are offering a consumer choice. You can choose to have adult material blocked. If you change your mind you can ring your ISP and demand your pron back.

I don't understand how this is any different to parental control on Windows or Google's safesearch etc. Its an option. Its not forced onto you. I think its a waste of time, and that purveyors of muck will still find a way to get daddy his fix, even though mummy has insisted to BT or Sky that no one in the house would be interested in that sort of thing. But I don't think this is a restriction of civil liberties as the options above suggest. Its empowerment. You can choose.

Saddam Hussein:
Yeah, I don't quite understand the controversy here either.

Thork:
Lol, 8 people have all voted that this is an outrage. Would any of you care to express why?

Vindictus:
The idea has been pushed in Australia, only to be constantly knocked back and denied. When they trialed it, all it did was slow the internet down. Anyone with any technical knowledge could simply bypass it. So, besides the idea being terrible, it was also terribly executed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version