On the Notion of Dr. Samuel Rowbotham

• 174 Replies
?

Thork

Re: On the Notion of Dr. Samuel Rowbotham
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2011, 11:00:34 AM »
I just noticed that one of those articles tells us where Samuel Birley Rowbotham studied at:

He studied at the University of Edinburgh, one of the world's top 20 universities according to the website.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is game, set and the match.

Excellent research Tom.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2011, 11:49:32 AM »
Excellent work as usual, Tom.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

sirTheMore

• Hello kind gentlemen.
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
I just noticed that one of those articles tells us where Samuel Birley Rowbotham studied at:

He studied at the University of Edinburgh, one of the world's top 20 universities according to the website.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is game, set and the match.

Excellent research Tom.

May God bless you gentlemen.  Thank you for your hard work on these matters.

Kind gentlemen, I do wish to declare that although these fora are for the sole purpose of education of the flat earth, I would also enjoy expressing my gratitude for the opportunity to post in them.  Thank you all for your time and interest in this subject.

?

Thork

« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »
A quick note on Dr Samuel Rowbotham's obituary

You will notice he is Samuel Rowbotham M.D. and referred to at the bottom of the page as Dr Rowbotham.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Medicine
Doctor of Medicine (MD, from the Latin Medicinae Doctor meaning "Teacher of Medicine") is a doctoral degree for physicians

Also please cast your eyes on the first line of this patent acceptance

I quote "Specification of the Patent granted to Samuel Rowbotham, of Putney in the County of Surrey, Doctor of Medicine ..."

Doctor of Medicine. I think there are a few Round Earthers who need to come back in here and apologise to all of the FErs for trying to besmirch our beloved hero, Dr Samuel Birley Rowbotham.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:12:14 PM by Thork »

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »
And he invented the first fire-proof suit, too! Wow. A true Zetetic hero.

?

Thork

« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
Yes, he invented fireproof starch as well as a new type of caustic soda, a liquid india-rubber, a process for soap manufacture, Dr Pepper, a life-preserving cylindrical railway carriage and something macabre which may be the theme of a spooky Halloween thread coming to you soon.

I lurk like the yahoo spider. O0

I tracked down a few of Dr Rowbotham's technical drawings for the 'life-preserving cylindrical railway carriage' if you are interested.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:49:42 PM by Thork »

Lord Xenu

• ALL HAIL XENU!
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2011, 02:53:39 PM »
That is indeed a marvelous idea! However, I think that in a modern train-crash, the force of impact might cause those carriages to rotate rather quickly and dangerously...

?

Thork

« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2011, 02:57:58 PM »
I think the idea was stolen and adapted for hamsters.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
Boy, the REers are quiet all of a sudden, aren't they?  I know it's embarrassing, guys, but you could at least stick your head in to apologize for the baseless accusations you've been making.  Especially now that that evidence you've been begging for has been brought to light.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2011, 04:22:11 PM »
im not really questioning if he was or not, but for a stupid person like myself can you highlight the part where it says he studied there and his full name. i only saw a single name and i never read that he studied there :S

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
Why should RE'ers apologize for holding FE'ers to the same standards that FE'ers hold RE'ers?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Thork

« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »
Why should RE'ers apologize for holding FE'ers to the same standards that FE'ers hold RE'ers?
Almost. Try again. This time get the phrase 'I'm sorry' into the sentence.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »
Because I'm not sorry.  Personally, I don't really care one way or another if Rowbotham is a doctor or not.  In my mind, he's still a con artist and a fraud when it comes to FET and I have seen no evidence to change my mind on that.  I have also seen no evidence that he invented Dr. Pepper, Coca-Cola or any other modern carbonated soft drink.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
Because I'm not sorry.  Personally, I don't really care one way or another if Rowbotham is a doctor or not.  In my mind, he's still a con artist and a fraud when it comes to FET and I have seen no evidence to change my mind on that.  I have also seen no evidence that he invented Dr. Pepper, Coca-Cola or any other modern carbonated soft drink.

Kind of a coincidence, then. Rowbotham introduces the health benefits of phosphorous to the public for the first time in the mid-1800's, and then the phosphate soda industry starts up, touting the health benefits of phosphorous.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »

Kind of a coincidence, then. Rowbotham introduces the health benefits of phosphorous to the public for the first time in the mid-1800's, and then the phosphate soda industry starts up, touting the health benefits of phosphorous.

Which has nothing at all to do with his being wrong about the shape of the earth.

« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »

Which has nothing at all to do with his being wrong about the shape of the earth.

Isn't it tiring to lug around those goalposts?

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
For the same reasons why it's horrible and unreasonable for me to hold you to your own standards, of course. :)
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2011, 07:59:24 AM »
Let me be the first RE guy to just come out and say it.

I apologize for steadfastly (is that even a word) arguing against SBR's credibility when it comes to his education. I will no longer protest his education or credentials.

While that one line, in that rticle, is hardly proof that he finished his education to the satisfaction of a PHD. Especially seing as the department of medical studies was not fuly founded at that school at that time. I do believe that he did complete higher formal education (for the day) and should be called doctor. I'll still call him SBR because its easier to type than Dr.SBR.

I am pretty entertained by this thread though. and it has given me some great lulz. Even you FE zealots must be giggling a bit when you post in a thread like this. To go from "(not a doctor)" to how he pionered modern cola and was a great unsung invetor/great mont of the 1800's is laughable. Do you guys even know how manny patents are given out for total failure inventions? whatever......

I do still think he was a fraud about many subjects, a confidence man, and dead wrong about everything in ENAG.

I am not above an apology and I was absent from the thread for the last couple days because I was no where near a computer. Again I apologize for claiming he was not formally educated. It turns out SBR was probably a Dr.SBR.
Your god was nailed to a cross. Mine carries a hammer...... any questions?

?

Thork

« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2011, 08:30:53 AM »
You are most gracious. Thank you.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

Funny.  Somehow it was very important to you that he wasn't a real doctor, when you were coming up with your imaginary scenario that fit the case, but now knowing that he was a real doctor it means absolutely nothing?  Do you remember arguing with me when I made the argument that the question of whether or not he was a real doctor has no bearing on the shape of the Earth?  It goes to his credibility, you said...

Hypocrisy, thy name is Markjo.

?

Thork

« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2011, 02:43:40 AM »
... and so with that, we can conclusively prove the earth is flat.

Personally, I don't really care one way or another if the earth is flat or not.  In my mind, its still round when it comes to FET and I have seen no evidence to change my mind on that.  I have also seen no evidence that the turtle exists either.

Awful, just awful.

?

Puttah

« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2011, 03:56:12 AM »

Somehow the slightest shred of credibility for FES means that the Earth is flat? Interesting...
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2011, 06:19:04 AM »
Are you suggesting that no one ever flunked out of med school or padded their resume in the 19th century?  Just because he studied medicine doesn't automatically mean that he earned a Phd in medicine, or even graduated.  If you want to make assumptions, then there doesn't seem to be much that I can do to stop you.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2011, 06:20:58 AM »

Personally, I don't really care one way or another if the earth is flat or not.  In my mind, its still round when it comes to FET and I have seen no evidence to change my mind on that.  I have also seen no evidence that the turtle exists either.

Awful, just awful.

Yes, it is just awful when you "quote" something that I didn't say.

« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2011, 07:06:37 AM »
There is still no doubt SBR was a crackpot 'scientist' and even if he did complete medical school, to the satisfaction of a PHD and not lower level achievements, that does not make him correct about anything in ENAG.

In fact SBR was dead wrong about most everything he published related to FE. I dont know anything about his life poitions but his understanding of the physical world is dead wrong. His accomplice Lady Blount was no better.
Your god was nailed to a cross. Mine carries a hammer...... any questions?