On the Notion of Dr. Samuel Rowbotham

• 174 Replies
Re: On the Notion of Dr. Samuel Rowbotham
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 01:42:44 PM »
Again, carving something in stone doesn't make it true.

Are you just going to take someone's word for it in this instance, and not take the word of anyone who says they have orbited a round earth? Pseudo-skepticism at its finest.
So all we need to do is carve "The Earth is a globe" into a piece of stone and this whole website will disappear? Awesome.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »
I haven't seen anything to suggest he is not a doctor. Nothing. Not one single source from any of you. All the evidence suggests he is and that is the most reasonable conclusion.

So you want me to prove a negative?

What institution awarded Mr. Rowbotham a doctorate?

It's  not proving a negative. You are claiming that Dr. Rowboatham did not get a doctorate. Thus, the burden of proof is on you.

It's more reasonable for the people claiming that he has a doctorate to assume the burden of proof.

The burden has been met. There are numerous 1800's articles references calling him Dr. In "Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea" by the historian Christine Garwood she notes that Rowbotham practiced medicine and ran a private medical office. She did extensive research into his background. If Rowbotham was practicing medicine without a license we would know about it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:59:24 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
Why does SBR's biggest fanboy not refer to him as Doctor? Surely Tom Bishop would not disrespect such a highly regarded scientific FE mind by not including his proper title when referring to him. Or is it that SBR is not a doctor, as has been shown in other threads on the FES, and Tom knows it.

If ANYONE knew where he went to school this would not be an issue. Look up any great scientific person (and som enon scientific) from history and you will easily be able to find their credentials. SBR is no exception, other than we only have instances of him being referred to as doctor, but no reference to where or what he formally studied.

I suspect that if he had a formal education of any kind, his assertions about perspective and curvature and vanishing points might all be based in observed reality rather thn his own made up pseudoscience.

And for the last time: The subject of SBR's education is not relevant to siTheMore's OP other than I assert that the title as stated in the OP is not accurate. I am still interested to see how sirTheMore's reading is coming and what details are compelling to him.

Man you FE guys are good at avoiding the point, while completley derailing a thread.
Your god was nailed to a cross. Mine carries a hammer...... any questions?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 02:01:10 PM »
I haven't seen anything to suggest he is not a doctor. Nothing. Not one single source from any of you. All the evidence suggests he is and that is the most reasonable conclusion.

So you want me to prove a negative?

What institution awarded Mr. Rowbotham a doctorate?

It's  not proving a negative. You are claiming that Dr. Rowboatham did not get a doctorate. Thus, the burden of proof is on you.

It's more reasonable for the people claiming that he has a doctorate to assume the burden of proof.

The burden has been met. There are plenty of 1800's references calling him Dr. Rowbotham. In "Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea" by the historian Christine Garwood she notes that Rowbotham practiced medicine and ran a private medical office.

Practicing medicine and being a real doctor do not necessarily mean the same thing.  I read that he sold snake oil that he claimed would cure any illness.  That does not mean he had any education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Rowbotham
He was also alleged to be using the name "Dr. Samuel Birley", selling the secrets for prolonging human life and curing every disease imaginable

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Why does SBR's biggest fanboy not refer to him as Doctor? Surely Tom Bishop would not disrespect such a highly regarded scientific FE mind by not including his proper title when referring to him. Or is it that SBR is not a doctor, as has been shown in other threads on the FES, and Tom knows it.

You believe that Tom argues that Rowbotham was a doctor, but doesn't actually believe it and inadvertently reveals this by not always referring to him as doctor? Brilliant!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »

Bill Cosby earned a doctorate in education, but do people call him Dr. Bill Cosby? No. They call him Bill Cosby.

Quote from: jroa
Practicing medicine and being a real doctor do not necessarily mean the same thing.

So you allege that Rowbotham practiced medicine without a license his entire life and got away with it?  ???

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »

Bill Cosby earned a doctorate in education, but do people call him Dr. Bill Cosby? No. They call him Bill Cosby.

Practicing medicine and being a real doctor do not necessarily mean the same thing.

So you allege that Rowbotham practiced medicine without a license his entire life and got away with it?  ???

No, I did not say he practiced medicine his whole life.  I said that practicing medicine does not prove he was a recognized doctor.  I have been to many websites doing research on this individual, and I have found only one that suggests he ever used the title Doctor, and that was with an alias and he was selling a cure-all potion.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

No, I did not say he practiced medicine his whole life.  I said that practicing medicine does not prove he was a recognized doctor.  I have been to many websites doing research on this individual, and I have found only one that suggests he ever used the title Doctor, and that was with an alias and he was selling a cure-all potion.

Rowbotham sold nutritional supplements and advertised that they could assist a number of ailments. No one denies that good nutrition can help the immune system and keep the body fit for fighting off disease and ailments. He explains it all in his literature. It wasn't a "cure-all potion".

Rowbotham popularized good nutrition long before it became fashionable. He should be praised for the innovative thinker he was, not demonized as a snake oil salesman.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:24:33 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »

You believe that Tom argues that Rowbotham was a doctor, but doesn't actually believe it and inadvertently reveals this by not always referring to him as doctor? Brilliant!

Essentially yes.
Toms classic arguements are semantics mostly. He defies the existence of gravity because there are still unclear peices of the puzzle as to the nature of gravity. I.e. Gravitons and such.
So I simply apply the same kind of logic about SBR. If he was a doctor we would know everything there is to know about his education and background. Thus without these firm facts and understanding SBR must not be a doctor. Furthermore TB confirms my suspicion by not referring to his own personal hero with the proper title he would be due.

If Rowbotham was practicing medicine without a license we would know about it.
If SBR was practicing WITH a liscence we would know it. playing a doctor to sell snake oil is not a new scheme nor was it uncommon. Out of anyone here Tom you should be the guy with some difinitive evidence of his education and credentials. Please present them since we cant seen to let this one go.

?

Thork

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
He called himself Doctor Birley when selling 'nutritional supplements'. I'd love a bottle for my shelf. Just as a momento.

'Dr Birley's Nerve Syrup', a phosphorus-containing remedy for neurasthenia.

There is even a book, but I can't find a copy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phosphorus-discovered-prepared-Dr-Birley/dp/B00177WW4M

Cool link
Quote from: http://www.bmj.com/content/2/2495/1286.full.pdf
BIRLEY'S ANTI-CATARRH.
Supplied by Gordon, Murray, and Co., Limited, 10, Adam
Street, Stranld, London. Price is, lid. per bottle, contain.
ing nearly 3 fluid ounces. The bottle was accompanied by
four pages of printed matter headed " The Birley Monthly
Report," in which the "Anti-Catarrh" is included in a
" List and Prices of Dr. Birley's Compounds of Free (or
Unoxidised) Phosphorus," and described as " Special
Remedy for Catarrh and Influenza." The following
extracts are from, the same circular, under the heading
"The Wonders of Phosphorus."
Free (or unoxidised) Phosphorus, whose chief seat or situation
is in the brain, is one of the most important elements contained
in our bodies. Without Free Phosphorus there can be no
thought, and very probably no life...
One thing is proved beyond doubt, that the degree of intellectual thought depends upon the amount of Free Phosphorus in
the brain, and just as the Phosphorus is unduly wasted, so does;
the brain power weaken....
Free Phosphorus, it is thus shown, must be the saving agent
-no other means is possible. This one element must be
replaced.
The directions are:
For an ordinary cold take one tea-spoonful every two hours
until better, then every third and fourth hour, and finally night
and morning.
For severe attacks, commence by taking a dose every hour
until better, then gradually increase the period between each
dose as attack abates. For Children, give half doses.
Analysis showed the presence of:
Sugar (partly as " invert sugar ") ... 74 parts
Tartaric acid ... ... ... ... 1.15
Phosphoric acid ... ... ... 0.07 part
Alcohol ... ... ... trace
Water to ... ... ... ... 100 fluid parts
No free phosphorus could be detected, but the odour
when the bottle was first opened suggested the presence of
a trace. From the presence of a trace of alcohol it appears
probable that an alcoholic solution of phosphorus had been
added, and the phosphoric acid had been formed by its
oxidation. If the phosphorus found were in the free state
each fluid drachm would contain about E grain. The
liquid was of a light straw colour, probably produced by
addition of a trace of colouring matter.
Estimated cost of ingredients for 3 fluid ounces,4d.

Lol, 74 parts sugar. Must have been yummy. Phosphorous is good for you though. You get it from fish and it does help your brains.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:38:19 PM by Thork »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 02:38:16 PM »

Rowbotham sold nutritional supplements and advertised that they could assist a number of ailments. No one denies that good nutrition can help the immune system and keep the body fit for fighting off disease and ailments. He explains it all in his literature. It wasn't a "cure-all potion".

Rowbotham popularized good nutrition long before it became fashionable. He should be praised for the innovative thinker he was, not demonized as a snake oil salesman.

Which medical school did he attend?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »

Sadly his personal belongings and papers are long gone.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »

BLU
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
Nice find Thork. Though I wonder if you are playing at both sides a little here. I would not conclude that your find gives credibility to SBR being a doctor of any kind. Some conclusions I could draw from your find would be:
1 - Dr. Birley may not be the same guy as SBR
2 - If in Fact SBR and Dr. Burley are the same guy, I might think he was fearful of reprisal if someone figured out his medicine did not have any of the precious phosphorus in it, and wass mostly sugar water
3 - This is another example of SBR writing documents that are lies in a manner that seems professional, but ultimatley a hoax.

jroa - I may have been to blunt in my comparison about snake oil salesmen. I was attemption to point out that people presenting themselfs as something they are not in order to make money or remain free from liability is/was not a new or uncommon thing. I do actually htink that SBR was a guy who wanted to understand the world better. I do think that he was attempting to contribute to the various communities that he was a part of. Having said that and based on his own writhings and conclusions in ENAG I thin khe was sorely mistaken in the vast majority of his asumptions, methodology, amd conclusions/assertions.

I hope never to portray SBR as a bad guy. more simply put I thikn he is a flawed scientist, and poor source of evidence about many things.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:21:09 PM by Sentient Pizza »

?

Thork

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »
@Sentient, Dr Birley is definitely Rowbotham. Check my link below. You will enjoy. I will not be taking questions afterwards as you did not find this yourselves. Its horribly biased and written by an unsympathetic REr.

For those who enjoy a good lurk, I have found an online copy of the verbosely titled Worlds of Their Own: A Brief History of Misguided Ideas : Creationism, Flat Earthism, Energy scams and the Velitovsky affair.

Perma noobs should have a good lurk. I'm going to link you straight into the details of Rowbotham's life. It doesn't suggest he is not a doctor but there is some funny stuff in there.
http://goo.gl/Vapiq

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
He is also cited as a Doctor on at least one of his Patent Grants.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

General Disarray

• Official Member
  • Magic specialist
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 12:19:24 AM »
But the one institution which would know for sure if he is a doctor or not (the one which granted this mythical PhD) cannot be identified. You sure seem to be taking the word of a lot of people rather than starting from inquiry.
You don't want to make an enemy of me. I'm very powerful.

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 06:21:35 AM »
@Sentient, Dr Birley is definitely Rowbotham. Check my link below. You will enjoy. I will not be taking questions afterwards as you did not find this yourselves. Its horribly biased and written by an unsympathetic REr.

For those who enjoy a good lurk, I have found an online copy of the verbosely titled Worlds of Their Own: A Brief History of Misguided Ideas : Creationism, Flat Earthism, Energy scams and the Velitovsky affair.

Perma noobs should have a good lurk. I'm going to link you straight into the details of Rowbotham's life. It doesn't suggest he is not a doctor but there is some funny stuff in there.

That was hilarious. Well done Thork.

I may have to retract my previous retraction about the comparison of SBR to a snake oil salesman. It really is quite funny that every time I read a new thing about SBR the case for his validity gets weaker and weaker.

?

sirTheMore

• Hello kind gentlemen.
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:20 AM »

I absolutely cannot wait to delve deeper into the Dr's theories.  With every page turn, more mysteries are revealed!
Warmest,
sirTheMore

Kind gentlemen, I do wish to declare that although these fora are for the sole purpose of education of the flat earth, I would also enjoy expressing my gratitude for the opportunity to post in them.  Thank you all for your time and interest in this subject.

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 08:15:35 AM »

That was hilarious. Well done Thork.

I may have to retract my previous retraction about the comparison of SBR to a snake oil salesman. It really is quite funny that every time I read a new thing about SBR the case for his validity gets weaker and weaker.
Snake Oil salesman don't get any better than our dear old Samuel Birley Rowbothom.  Gift of the gab, ability to avoid arguments by sleight of hand, earnest energetic sales pitch.  He had it all. 
First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "

?

Thork

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
That's Dr Samuel Birley Rowbotham to you.

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »
That's Dr 'Snake Oil' Samuel Birley Rowbotham to you.
Fixed.
First human spacewalker, Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov: “Lifting my head I could see the curvature of the Earth's horizon. ’So the world really is round,’ I said softly to myself, as if the words came from somewhere deep in my soul. "

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »

Actually, he practiced medicine under the names Tryon and Dr. Birley.  Hmmm...  I wonder why he didn't use his proper name.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »

Actually, he practiced medicine under the names Tryon and Dr. Birley.  Hmmm...  I wonder why he didn't use his proper name.

Because people who knew him by his real name thought he was a loon.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
Rowbotham's contemporaries used "nom de guerres" as well. Yet Dr. Rowbotham is almost without exception referred to as "Dr. Rowbotham" by his contemporary detractors. If he was not a doctor, would they not have latched on to this puerile attack as you have all done?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

General Disarray

• Official Member
  • Magic specialist
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:56 PM »
But the one institution which would know for sure if he is a doctor or not (the one which granted this mythical PhD) cannot be identified. You sure seem to be taking the word of a lot of people rather than starting from inquiry.
You don't want to make an enemy of me. I'm very powerful.

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2011, 06:30:40 AM »
Rowbotham's contemporaries used "nom de guerres" as well. Yet Dr. Rowbotham is almost without exception referred to as "Dr. Rowbotham" by his contemporary detractors. If he was not a doctor, would they not have latched on to this puerile attack as you have all done?

more to the point since this thread can not get away from the great "Dr." debate: If he was a doctor his modern followers would atleast referr to him as doctor in their own library http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=62

not even one mention of Dr. SBR in your own library. Just get over it. He called himself doctor under a couple false names to give that character some credibility and thats all. He was not a doctor. And for as long as this thread has been active I'm sure one of your industrious FE believers would have found some better evidence by now.

SBR was many things. Maybe even great things. A Doctor, he was not.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 07:46:11 AM »

more to the point since this thread can not get away from the great "Dr." debate: If he was a doctor his modern followers would atleast referr to him as doctor in their own library http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=62

not even one mention of Dr. SBR in your own library. Just get over it. He called himself doctor under a couple false names to give that character some credibility and thats all. He was not a doctor. And for as long as this thread has been active I'm sure one of your industrious FE believers would have found some better evidence by now.

SBR was many things. Maybe even great things. A Doctor, he was not.

So he's a fake doctor because we don't call him Dr. Samuel Briley Rowbotham every time we speak his name?

?

Thork

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »
He down-played his name and status because he was "not seeking personal glory". This was mentioned in the text I provided.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »
He down-played his name and status because he was "not seeking personal glory". This was mentioned in the text I provided.

Really?  Everything that I have read while researching Mr. SBR says that he was a great lecturer and promoter.  Why would he down-play his title?