Derek Deville's home-made rocket.

• 37 Replies
?

The Knowledge

• FE'ers don't do experiments. It costs too much.
Re: Derek Deville's home-made rocket.
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »
Diffusion of light is enough to make an airplane disappear on a clear day. City buildings disappear into the murk on a smoggy day. Think of all the weather between you and the rim country. Why would you expect to see mountains at that distance. There are days that I can barely see the mountains 20 miles from my home.

Denver is 15 to 20 miles distant in this photo from lookout mountain. Think of how small the mountains of the rim country are so many miles away. Why would one expect to see them at all?

:P

You can't claim that it's unusual to see 20 miles, perfectly reasonable to see 3000 miles and ludicrous to see 9000 miles in the same thread. You just look like a dithering prat when you do that.

Different circumstances allow for different view distances.

Correct, which is why his original statement that it was unusual to see more than twenty miles in normal atmosphere near the ground is a complete fallacy, designed to mislead. Trolling revealed.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »
Correct, which is why his original statement that it was unusual to see more than twenty miles in normal atmosphere near the ground is a complete fallacy, designed to mislead. Trolling revealed.

I never said that it was unusual to see more than twenty miles. I said, "There are days that I can barely see the mountains 20 miles from my home." 
It is you who are attempting to be misleading, or is English not your native tongue?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »

I never said that it was unusual to see more than twenty miles. I said, "There are days that I can barely see the mountains 20 miles from my home." 
It is you who are attempting to be misleading, or is English not your native tongue?

Semantics. Your phrasing and tone of the post was clearly designed to create the impression that you thought it unusual to see much more than 20 miles most of the time.
Trying to defend yourself over your use of exact words is like saying "I could quite easily smash Ski's face in with a hammer" does not imply "I want to smash Ski's face in with a hammer". Sure, the exact meaning is completely different but reading one creates the impression of the other in the reader. Pizza Planet tried the same thing in reverse over in another thread, trying to make out I had claimed RET gravity theories were perfect because I used the phrase "RET has a working theory of gravity".  ::)
Your troll-fu is pathetically weak.
Watermelon, Rhubarb Rhubarb, no one believes the Earth is Flat, Peas and Carrots,  walla.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
Saying, "There are days when it rains' in no way implies that it usually rains. I'm tired of your pointless bickering just to argue. If you have something useful to say, say it. If you suffer from poor reading comprehension, rectify it.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
I love it when the noobs get pedantic to avoid admitting they're wrong.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »
I love it when the noobs trolls get pedantic to avoid admitting they're wrong.

Oh, the irony. I'm overwhelmed...

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 04:54:55 PM »

That's not what irony means.

That statement, however, was ironic.

?

The Knowledge

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »

That's not what irony means.

That statement, however, was ironic.

Good.