Gears of War 3

• 62 Replies

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Gears of War 3
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
Gears of War 3 is going to be dumb, and Epic needs to stop whoring out the Gears of War franchise so much.  Is it really too much to ask that they let well enough alone?  If they keep this up, their spinoff games will get progressively shittier, and people will eventually think of the entire series as bad overall.

Okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way, has anyone bought the game?  I have, and although I haven't gone through the whole game yet, so far it seems pretty good.  No big surprises.  There are new weapons, new characters, new races, new maps, the usual things you expect from the next installment in a franchise.  Horde mode is back with a few extra features, and there's this new addition, "Beast mode," which is basically Horde mode in reverse (i.e. you're the Locust attacking human defenders).

And the campaign mode remains as strong as it was in the previous games, which is a nice break from certain other franchises that just slapped together half-assed shit for campaigns in their later games.  The storyline is genuinely intriguing, the characters are sympathetic, and there's actually pretty decent voice acting.  And that's saying a lot for a game in this kind of genre.

So, yeah.  Discuss.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:51:13 PM by Saddam Hussein »

?

Thork

Re: Gears of War 3
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
Everyone has ignored this which is a shame because it was a good review. However I don't own or intend to own it. I don't really play games. The bookies think it will be 3rd place in the xmas selling list behind Fifa 12 (Europe) and the new COD due out soon. I'd probably buy COD:MW3 if I wanted a game.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
I think Yahtzee put it best when he described it as 'thick necked refrigerator armor marine 3'.

Then again, I haven't played much of GoW, so I can shut the fuck up.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
I think Yahtzee put it best when he described it as 'thick necked refrigerator armor marine 3'.

Interestingly enough, the graphics in this game actually toned down the sizes and shapes of the characters' bodies, making them look a little more natural.  And the armor they wear is simplified, apparently because the events of the campaign take place in summer, not winter.  The Gears are all still pretty jacked, and the armor still looks silly, but they look a lot less like steroid-cranking freaks.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:36:56 AM »
Meh is all I really have to say about it, but that might be because I've played the shit out of the past two games. The campaign was pretty boring. The only memorable thing that happened was the event with Dom. I'm glad I rented it, because I've played all I want to play the past two days.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 02:09:46 AM »
If they keep this up, their spinoff games will get progressively shittier, and people will eventually think of the entire series as bad overall.

Oh, I already do. Trust me.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
Well, I've finished the campaign now.  Can't say I agree with Andrew.  I thought it was pretty good.  It wasn't amazing, but I had a lot of fun doing it.  And without spoiling anything, it does resolve itself at the end pretty nicely - no bullshit attempt to set up a cliffhanger, like what Halo did.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
Why can't Saddam make threads about good games?

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »

It's good, I've just played so much Gears that it was boring for me.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:28:15 PM »

Because there are no good games, according to you.  Well, except for Pokemon, the cutting-edge RPG.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 05:57:12 AM »

Because there are no good games, according to you.  Well, except for Pokemon, the cutting-edge RPG.

Yeah, I bet you thought I liked Halo 3 too, simply because I argued against you on a matter that had nothing to do with my preference with the game.

Remember, like what happened in the Pokemon argument? Keep that up, and I'm going to start making remarks about how your logical reasoning shows signs out autism.

But on the subject of good games, Dark Souls just came out, and it's fucking awesome. So go get that.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
Remember, like what happened in the Pokemon argument? Keep that up, and I'm going to start making remarks about how your logical reasoning shows signs out autism.

...what?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »

...what?

Are you having trouble understanding something I'm saying?

Don't make me say it.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
I made a joke about the discussion on Pokemon games in RM, and you're talking about...autism?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »
I made a joke about the discussion on Pokemon games in RM, and you're talking about...autism?

Yes, and?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
Saddam has been in stunned silence for over an hour now. I like that response. I think it's the right one.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Tgor

• Universe Accelerator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
I personally thought that the campaign was very good the cutscenes played like a good movie. I thought the playable parts were also good, they added just enough rail shooting to break up the monotony of "duck and cover" the one thing I dont like about the game is the unlockable gun skins and characters, not many can be unlocked through gameplay. I give it 9/10
I dont care what you think as long as it's about me.

?

Archibald

• mans reach exceeds his grasp
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »
I personally thought that the campaign was very good the cutscenes played like a good movie. I thought the playable parts were also good, they added just enough rail shooting to break up the monotony of "duck and cover" the one thing I dont like about the game is the unlockable gun skins and characters, not many can be unlocked through gameplay. I give it 9/10

It is a great trilogy.  The third installment was truly most excellent.  Rage is also good if you have a PS3.  Its like mad max mixed with the hills have eyes.  Its FPS but racing oriented.
For whatever reason you allow Clocktower to derail any thread Archibald posts in.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »

Yahtzee is an annoyingly jaded biased shit. :(
Recently listened to:

Vindictus

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 12:43:15 AM »

Well, that's his character. Doesn't mean the things he says are any less spot on.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 04:33:33 AM »

Well, that's his character. Doesn't mean the things he says are any less spot on.

Not necessarily, although they often are.
Recently listened to:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
I still have no idea what Blanko was talking about.

Anyway, I'm bumping this thread to talk about some shitty prequel called Judgment that Epic has churned out.  It's the sell-out game, much like ODST was for Halo.  The trilogy was complete!  They didn't need to add this!  But they did.  And so I am officially disavowing and condemning Epic for this, lest Blanko accuse me of being a fanboy who only judges Bungie for whoring out their franchises past the point of integrity.

We had a great time, Gears of War, but it's over now. :(

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »
I still have no idea what Blanko was talking about.

Really? It's not that difficult. Especially since you brought up the Pokemon argument.

Also, ODST was the best one.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »
I don't remember the Pokemon argument.

Vindictus

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
I think the important thing to take away from it is that you're autistic.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »

It involved you making frivolous claims that had nothing to do with the argument itself, and I was kind of parodying that.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
I think the important thing to take away from it is that you're autistic.

NO U

It involved you making frivolous claims that had nothing to do with the argument itself, and I was kind of parodying that.

This means nothing to me, because I don't remember it.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »

This means nothing to me, because I don't remember it.

That's okay, because you don't actually have to look farther than this thread. See:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
Wasn't that a valid reply to your question of why I didn't make threads about good games?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »
Wasn't that a valid reply to your question of why I didn't make threads about good games?

No.