Faster than light neutrinos

• 14 Replies
Faster than light neutrinos
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
You, sir, can't comprehend the idea of bottoms.

Re: Faster than light neutrinos
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »
Anytime anyone says that they observed anything traveling faster than the speed of light is taking a tremendous leap and setting themselves up for embarrassment. It is ballsy and, if true, will shake physics off it's foundation.
an vir

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »
Anytime anyone says that they observed anything traveling faster than the speed of light is taking a tremendous leap and setting themselves up for embarrassment. It is ballsy and, if true, will shake physics off it's foundation.

For the record, he's flat out saying he doesn't believe his own results. He just can't figure out what went wrong.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:55:08 PM »
The speed of light is an asymptote. Acceleration to that limit requires infinite energy and undergoes time dilation. However, if neutrinos are already moving faster than c, what's the problem?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
They probably used two clocks or something. My parlour room clock is five minutes slower than my dining room clock. So when I move from the dining room to the parlour room I arrive before I left!

I have written to all the significant journals to explain that I patented this idea several years ago (when I first observed my two clock conundrum). I am in expectation of a reply soon.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »
They probably used two clocks or something. My parlour room clock is five minutes slower than my dining room clock. So when I move from the dining room to the parlour room I arrive before I left!

I have written to all the significant journals to explain that I patented this idea several years ago (when I first observed my two clock conundrum). I am in expectation of a reply soon.

GPS measurements and atomic clocks were used to synchronize timing between the two facilities.

The ultimate finding was that the neutrinos arrived 60.7 nanoseconds faster than light in a vacuum would have, with a statistical uncertainty of only plus or minus 6.9 nanoseconds and measurement uncertainty of plus or minus 7.4 nanoseconds.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:53:23 AM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Lorddave

You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:20 AM »
At the end, it seems that it was just a measure error. Itīs pretty hard to measure the speed of something without electrical charge, with a just-theorical masss, and has the radius of a proton
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

Lorddave

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
At the end, it seems that it was just a measure error. Itīs pretty hard to measure the speed of something without electrical charge, with a just-theorical masss, and has the radius of a proton

And physics as we know it is saved.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Conker

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

And physics as we know it is saved.

There will be no so much changes, as Taquios are a posible solution to relativity equations

?

BanNASA

• Actually a round earther who likes NASA a lot
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:49 AM »
By "Taquios", I suppose you mean tachyons, right?

Conker

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »
Yes, I though it was "Thaquions", but I mispelled, sorry.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »

I can't find any news for this. As far as I can tell we won't know until next year
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228443.900-smart-guide-to-2012-neutrinos-may-be-tachyons.html

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 02:55:05 PM »

Did you read my post?

Conker

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 03:55:27 AM »

Did you read my post?

Yes I did