Occupy Wall Street

• 566 Replies
?

Blanko

• Terrorist
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #540 on: January 01, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
http://www.monbiot.com/2011/12/19/how-freedom-became-tyranny/

That is all freedom though, he must really hate freedom since he's ranting about it so much.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #541 on: January 01, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
They all hate us for our freedom.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #542 on: January 01, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Yeah, fucking OWS, can't even appreciate our freedoms.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #543 on: January 03, 2012, 04:53:23 AM »
Quote from: General Douchebag link=topic=50890.msg1284613#msg1284613 We haven't tried normal bullets [i
yet[/i], let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Tell that to the Congresswoman in Arizona. Oh wait.

It did the job, didn't it?

And what job was that exactly?

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #544 on: January 03, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »
Quote from: General Douchebag link=topic=50890.msg1284613#msg1284613 We haven't tried normal bullets [i
yet[/i], let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Tell that to the Congresswoman in Arizona. Oh wait.

It did the job, didn't it?

And what job was that exactly?

It pierced like a mofo.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #545 on: January 04, 2012, 04:44:27 AM »

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #546 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
It pierced like a mofo.

Noted.

You didn't note that at the time? Or are you referring to the callous way I'm talking about it? Because you have to account for the presence of Mids.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #547 on: January 05, 2012, 04:31:16 AM »
I was noting your response to my question.

I wasn't understanding what you were implying with the "job" it was trying to accomplish.

Because you have to account for the presence of Mids.

Yes, Mids has that effect on people.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #548 on: January 05, 2012, 04:47:52 AM »

I wasn't understanding what you were implying with the "job" it was trying to accomplish.

It sounds so ominous. Should I expect drones?

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #549 on: January 05, 2012, 04:55:05 AM »

Drones are for pussies. 

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #550 on: January 05, 2012, 05:03:47 AM »

Drones are for pussies. 

Or people who want to be able to carry out illegal activity by having it all classified and performed by a civilian agency. If you wanted to execute me without a drone you'd need to piss around with extradition, and trials, and retroactively applying new laws that give capital punishment for talking about stuff... All that paperwork!

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #551 on: January 05, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
Well for the record I would never want to execute you.  You are my favorite internet persona on this forum.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #552 on: January 05, 2012, 05:12:32 AM »
Well for the record I would never want to execute you.  You are my favorite internet persona on this forum.

D'aww, shucks. For the record, you wouldn't be able to anyway. The military is subject to all kinds of crazy laws and shit about killing civilians.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #553 on: January 05, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »

D'aww, shucks. For the record, you wouldn't be able to anyway. The military is subject to all kinds of crazy laws and shit about killing civilians.

Well if you ask most non-americans we dont follow that shit anyways.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2012, 06:06:40 AM »

Well if you ask most non-americans we dont follow that shit anyways.

At least you pretend to. The CIA straight doesn't give a shit. They're nothing more than government-sponsored terrorists.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #555 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/12/occupy-wall-street-activists-15m-personal-debt

Occupy Wall Street activists buy $15m of Americans' personal debt
Rolling Jubilee spent $400,000 to purchase debt cheaply from banks before 'abolishing' it, freeing individuals from their bills

Occupy Wall Street activists buy $15m of Americans' personal debt
Rolling Jubilee spent $400,000 to purchase debt cheaply from banks before 'abolishing' it, freeing individuals from their bills

Adam Gabbatt in New York
theguardian.com, Tuesday 12 November 2013 10.34 EST

A group of Occupy Wall Street activists has bought almost $15m of Americans' personal debt over the last year as part of the Rolling Jubilee project to help people pay off their outstanding credit.

Rolling Jubilee, set up by Occupy's Strike Debt group following the street protests that swept the world in 2011, launched on 15 November 2012. The group purchases personal debt cheaply from banks before "abolishing" it, freeing individuals from their bills.

By purchasing the debt at knockdown prices the group has managed to free $14,734,569.87 of personal debt, mainly medical debt, spending only $400,000.

"We thought that the ratio would be about 20 to 1," said Andrew Ross, a member of Strike Debt and professor of social and cultural analysis at New York University. He said the team initially envisaged raising $50,000, which would have enabled it to buy $1m in debt.

"In fact we've been able to buy debt a lot more cheaply than that."

The group is able to buy debt so cheaply due to the nature of the "secondary debt market". If individuals consistently fail to pay bills from credit cards, loans, or medical insurance the bank or lender that issued the funds will eventually cut its losses by selling that debt to a third party. These sales occur for a fraction of the debt’s true values – typically for five cents on the dollar – and debt-buying companies then attempt to recoup the debt from the individual debtor and thus make a profit.

The Rolling Jubilee project was mostly conceived as a "public education project", Ross said.

"We're under no illusions that $15m is just a tiny drop in the secondary debt market. It doesn't make a dent in the amount of debt.

"Our purpose in doing this, aside from helping some people along the way – there's certainly many, many people who are very thankful that their debts are abolished – our primary purpose was to spread information about the workings of this secondary debt market."

The group has focussed on buying medical debt, and has acquired the $14.7m in three separate purchases, most recently spending $13.5m on medical debt owed by 2,693 people across 45 states and Puerto Rico, Rolling Jubilee said in a press release.

“No one should have to go into debt or bankruptcy because they get sick,” said Laura Hanna, an organiser with the group. Hanna said 62% of all personal bankruptcies have medical debt as a contributing factor.

Due to the nature of the debt market, the group is unable to specify whose debt it purchases, taking on the amounts before it discovers individuals’ identities. When Rolling Jubilee has bought the debt they send notes to their debtors “telling them they’re off the hook”, Ross said.

Ross, whose book, Creditocracy and the case for debt refusal, outlines the problems of the debt industry and calls for a “debtors’ movement” to resist credit, said the group had received letters from people whose debt they had lifted thanking them for the service. But the real victory was in spreading knowledge of the nature of the debt industry, he said.

"Very few people know how cheaply their debts have been bought by collectors. It changes the psychology of the debtor, knowing this.

“So when you get called up by the debt collector, and you're being asked to pay the full amount of your debt, you now know that the debt collector has bought your debt very, very cheaply. As cheaply as we bought it. And that gives you moral ammunition to have a different conversation with the debt collector."

If anyone was wondering what OWS was up to these days. I never hear anything about this on American news.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lorddave

« Reply #556 on: November 12, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
If this is accurate then why aren't people hiring others to buy their debt cheap?  It would certainly be cheaper than actually paying it.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #557 on: November 12, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
If this is accurate then why aren't people hiring others to buy their debt cheap?  It would certainly be cheaper than actually paying it.

Because the kind of debt being sold that low is likely debt that was forfeited on due to bankruptcy issues I would imagine. 
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #558 on: November 12, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »
People who are in debt wouldn't have the money to hire people to buy their debt. 

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #559 on: November 12, 2013, 05:12:18 PM »
As a debt collector I can say that only morons actually voluntarily pay the full amount of their debt once it enters the secondary market anyway.

It's always a pleasure to talk to those people!
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Lorddave

« Reply #560 on: November 13, 2013, 02:31:00 AM »
As a debt collector I can say that only morons actually voluntarily pay the full amount of their debt once it enters the secondary market anyway.

It's always a pleasure to talk to those people!
I think its ignorance more than lack of intelligence. 

So tell us, how does one know its in the secondary market and how does one go about paying less the full?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #561 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:37 AM »
Most places charge off debt pretty quickly. If you're getting calls from collectors on a regular basis, you can be sure it has entered the secondary market. Credit card companies used to do their own collections, but I think most of them (probably all of them) have done away with their collection departments, as it's probably cheaper to sell off the debt at a discount than it is to pay the extra salaries. They can also write off the losses on their taxes.

You can pay less than the full amount if you negotiate. A lot of people are unaware of their options, so collectors take advantage of their ignorance. You can hire debt reduction services, there are lots of credit counseling companies, which are basically people who will negotiate with your creditors and save you some money. 

BTW, all the debt that OWS has purchased was medical debt. 

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #562 on: November 14, 2013, 12:44:31 AM »
Space Cowgirl is right, I believe, though I personally think that most of these places that advertise to negotiate a settlement for you are wastes of money, because the service they provide can  easily be done by the consumer himself.  The only benefit is that they do have the power to negotiate lower settlements than normal (without a debtor on the line to put the pressure on most clients I've dealt with will adopt a "take what you can get within reason" attitude toward these organizations), but I question how much of a benefit that really is, in the end, since you'll end up paying the fees for their services.  I really just don't know what they typically charge.  And some of them are just scams.  I'd be wary at any rate.  Freedom Debt Relief and Care One, both of which I've heard or seen advertised and dealt with extensively at work, seem to be reliable and reputable, if you're afraid you won't be able to do it on your own or just don't want to go to the trouble.

Six months seems to be a normal amount of time to allow a debt to go unpaid before charging it off.  I think I've seen it even shorter than that.  Once it's charged off you'll almost certainly be able to pay less than what you owe.  If you're being contacted by a collection agency about the debt, it's been charged off.

A debt collector will almost always ask for the balance in full, but will almost never press for it.  How much of a discount you can get depends on the client's (ie the debt owner's) guidelines but keep in mind that he's not really expecting the full balance, so he'll begin the settlement negotiations with a higher percentage of the balance; you can usually go lower.  If he starts at 80, he'll usually go down to 60 or maybe 50.  If he starts at 60 shoot for 40.  There's always a blanket amount that can be accepted, and the collector can usually even accept less than that, as long as the client approves it.  Again it comes down to taking what you can get from some people.  In the end it all reads the same on your credit; no matter how much you settle for it will be reflected as a settlement, unless the creditor has a special program where paying can clear the debt off the credit.  But that is rare and should not be expected.  And generally older debt can be negotiated lower than newer debt; if it's about to fall off the statute of limitations expect 25% or lower to not be out of the question.  By this point you've essentially been labeled as uncollectable, and again, the attitude is take what you can get.

Of course different types of debt are treated differently.  I can say with confidence that what I say above applies to credit card debt because that's mostly what I have dealt with.  I've never collected medical debt so I can't say with certainty that it's as easy to settle as credit card debt but I'd be surprised if it wasn't, and given the fact that it doesn't have the same effect on your credit I'd imagine it's easier.  Student loans are treated very differently from credit card debt but I'm not sure how that affects one's ability to negotiate a settlement (I believe it is more difficult).  Real estate debt is treated similarly to credit card debt with a few wrinkles thrown in; for example if the debt is settled by means of a short sale, 5% is a normal accepted amount for a second mortgage.  And Bob's your uncle.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #563 on: November 20, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »
OWS started out gud but ended as another social justice bawfest.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #564 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
It's founded on social justice baw'ing
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #565 on: November 21, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »
It's founded on social justice baw'ing

Any peaceful protest is a baw-fest.  What is your point?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #566 on: November 21, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
More like Cockupy Ball Teat am I right