Obama's Financial picks aren't as sunny as one would hope....

• 44 Replies
?

Gigamonsta

• Earth Shape Agnostic (ESA) - QUESTION EVERYTHING
Re: Obama's Financial picks aren't as sunny as one would hope....
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
THE OBAMA IS GOING DOWN!!!

we are gonna shove a boot right up obamas ass as we kick him outta the white house! that new world order schill isnt gonna stop us! how many times have we seen this fascist, marxist, coward bow down before world leaders! he wants america SUBJUGATED to foreigners in the name of his marxist beliefs and will stop at NOTHING to do it! he is a garbage economics leader. well mr prez its time we give you THE BOOT!!!
If you believe America is the greatest nation on Earth then you're going to doom us all.

i never said that! america has been compromised years ago by the new world order. granted obama will be replaced with a new world order schill until more people know of the NWO's existence and its goals! but THE OBAMA is a particularly odious NWO'er. his defeat in an election would be incredibly embarassing!

knock knock! its election time!!!

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »
Well theres another half billion gone.....You're welcome Finland.  I suppose i should be happy its not China.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/car-company-us-loan-builds-cars-finland/story?id=14770875

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
And sad to say, that 'news' story is two years old. 

Lorddave

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 03:00:24 AM »
Well theres another half billion gone.....You're welcome Finland.  I suppose i should be happy its not China.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/car-company-us-loan-builds-cars-finland/story?id=14770875

Did you read the article?

First:
Henrik Fisker said the U.S. money so far has been spent on engineering and design work that stayed in the U.S., not on the 500 manufacturing jobs that went to a rural Finnish firm, Valmet Automotive.
Sounds to me like people who got college degrees in engineering benefited from the loan, not unskilled labor.

And of course why should you be surprised that electric cars can't be produced here without building a new plant? All the factories being closed down are for gasoline vehicles and the only places capable o making the electric ones are being used by other companies.

This is a pretty big failure on your part dude. I expected better from you.

edit:
Removed the incorrect statement.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:44:17 AM by Lorddave »
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 07:41:19 AM »

First off it was not $1 billion.

Maybe that's why he said a half billion.

Lorddave

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »

First off it was not $1 billion.

Maybe that's why he said a half billion.

Whoops. My bad. I didn't read carefully enough.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2011, 08:48:01 AM »
And sad to say, that 'news' story is two years old.

Oct. 20, 2011?

The original loan was made 2 years ago...is that what you mean?

First:
Henrik Fisker said the U.S. money so far has been spent on engineering and design work that stayed in the U.S., not on the 500 manufacturing jobs that went to a rural Finnish firm, Valmet Automotive.
Sounds to me like people who got college degrees in engineering benefited from the loan, not unskilled labor.

Did you read the article?  That's your best argument for the money?  How many engineers you think they employed?  10, 100, 1,000?  Show me an intemized list of where that cash went and I will retract the post.

ABC News sent questions to the White House Monday and requested an interview with the vice president. Biden was not made available, but an official in his office said "the Office of the Vice President did not encourage the Department of Energy to choose any particular company over any other but, like others in the Administration, supported the Department's loan program and the creation of car manufacturing jobs in the United States."]

And of course why should you be surprised that electric cars can't be produced here without building a new plant? All the factories being closed down are for gasoline vehicles and the only places capable o making the electric ones are being used by other companies.

Whether or not I am surprised is irrelevant.  Shouldn't the government thought about that prior to them handing out our money?

Im not sure how...if any thing it's ABCs failure.  I just posted it.  The article lines up with the OP.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 09:01:05 AM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:27:01 PM by Mrs. Peach »

Lorddave

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »

First:

Did you read the article?  That's your best argument for the money?  How many engineers you think they employed?  10, 100, 1,000?  Show me an intemized list of where that cash went and I will retract the post.

ABC News sent questions to the White House Monday and requested an interview with the vice president. Biden was not made available, but an official in his office said "the Office of the Vice President did not encourage the Department of Energy to choose any particular company over any other but, like others in the Administration, supported the Department's loan program and the creation of car manufacturing jobs in the United States."]
I can't and neither can you.  That's all private business information.
And irrelevant.  Manufacturing jobs require more than people putting things together.  Besides, half of the work is automated anyway.  Why should we, as a nation, keep supporting old, out dated methods of mass production just so the uneducated can have a job?  You want us to be like China and it's Rice Farmers?

Whether or not I am surprised is irrelevant.  Shouldn't the government thought about that prior to them handing out our money?
Maybe they did or maybe they didn't.  Maybe they just thought it would be Gasoline powered cars?  Maybe the company just assumed they could find a plant within 2 years? 

Of course it doesn't really matter does it?  Half a billion probably didn't even cover the whole cost of R&D.

Im not sure how...if any thing it's ABCs failure.  I just posted it.  The article lines up with the OP.
Not really.  R&D in the US means it was US companies that actually did the work and thus hold the copyright to the designs.
And since the manufacturing is being done by a separate company, well...
not on the 500 manufacturing jobs that went to a rural Finnish firm, Valmet Automotive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisker_Automotive

See, Fisker is American.  So you're upset that half a billion went into an American Company that put American workers in jobs and secured American technological designs for American Electric Cars? 

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
I'm all for US rice farmers and am glad they have a job but that's just me.

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »
 ::)

What is he doing in this image anyway?!

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
And irrelevant.  Manufacturing jobs require more than people putting things together.  Besides, half of the work is automated anyway.  Why should we, as a nation, keep supporting old, out dated methods of mass production just so the uneducated can have a job?  You want us to be like China and it's Rice Farmers?

I think I found the flaw in your thought process.  We can't all be "educated" as you say.  Not everyone WANTS to go to college.  Is farming so bad?  Just because you don't like manual labor doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.  Some like it for the freedom of working outdoors.  Some like to use thier hands for a hard days work.  And you have no right to judge them as "uneducated".  There are alot of manual labor jobs out there that need to get done.  It makes it so you can work indoors in a controlled climate environment and fix computers.  You should be thanking them.

Maybe they did or maybe they didn't.  Maybe they just thought it would be Gasoline powered cars?  Maybe the company just assumed they could find a plant within 2 years? 

Of course it doesn't really matter does it?  Half a billion probably didn't even cover the whole cost of R&D.

Why would the department of energy...the same one that loaned the money to Solyandra give money to the same old gas powered cars?  That doesn't even make sense.  The whole point of these loans was to promote his green energy agenda.

Not really.  R&D in the US means it was US companies that actually did the work and thus hold the copyright to the designs.
not on the 500 manufacturing jobs that went to a rural Finnish firm, Valmet Automotive.

See, Fisker is American.  So you're upset that half a billion went into an American Company that put American workers in jobs and secured American technological designs for American Electric Cars?

I am upset because half a billion went into another Amercian company that outsourced a part(if not major part) of their operation to another country.  I am upset because of the way the laws, taxes and tariffs are in this country that companies can find it more profitable to employ 500 Finnish people than 500 Americans.  But I blame the unions for that as well.

Lorddave

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »

I think I found the flaw in your thought process.  We can't all be "educated" as you say.  Not everyone WANTS to go to college.  Is farming so bad?  Just because you don't like manual labor doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.  Some like it for the freedom of working outdoors.  Some like to use thier hands for a hard days work.  And you have no right to judge them as "uneducated".  There are alot of manual labor jobs out there that need to get done.  It makes it so you can work indoors in a controlled climate environment and fix computers.  You should be thanking them.

Who said I'm opposed to all manual labor?
And who says all manual labor is uneducated?  You need a lot of education and knowledge to farm.  You need a lot of skill and knowledge to make a vase or build a house or craft a table.

You do not need a lot of education or skill to screw a set of bolts into the floor of a car on an assembly line.  Or to put the passenger seat in.
I'm just saying that those jobs that can be automated will be automated eventually so we shouldn't waste our time preserving them but preparing for their inevitable transition.

Why would the department of energy...the same one that loaned the money to Solyandra give money to the same old gas powered cars?  That doesn't even make sense.  The whole point of these loans was to promote his green energy agenda.
And how has it not?  R&D is the first step to any green technology.  I'm sure it cost more than $500 million to develop the car.

I am upset because half a billion went into another Amercian company that outsourced a part(if not major part) of their operation to another country.  I am upset because of the way the laws, taxes and tariffs are in this country that companies can find it more profitable to employ 500 Finnish people than 500 Americans.  But I blame the unions for that as well.
I agree with you on the part about the laws, taxes, and tariffs.  The problem is that it's been going on for the last 20 years or more so we can't blame any one group.

Also:
It's not the fault of the Unions.  Unless you feel that a company who agrees to a contract in good times should be allowed to ignore those same obligations in bad times?  Aren't you always promoting fiscal responsibility? 

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 01:33:49 PM »

Personally, I don't appreciate this notion. Most jobs I have in mind can be very physically focused, as I wish to work in the field as a geochemist. There's not much you can do in the mining industry without an education.

People might not wish to go to college, and that's fine. But having a degree doesn't mean you sit in an office.

Lorddave

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »

Personally, I don't appreciate this notion. Most jobs I have in mind can be very physically focused, as I wish to work in the field as a geochemist. There's not much you can do in the mining industry without an education.

People might not wish to go to college, and that's fine. But having a degree doesn't mean you sit in an office.
Indeed.  Even a Trade School isn't what I'd consider "unskilled labor" and that's not considered college either.