To what end?

• 12 Replies
To what end?
« on: July 28, 2005, 03:47:38 PM »
What possible benefit would the government have to gain by convincing its citizens that the world is spherical?

Considering that it's nearly impossible for a group of people that large and dynamic to keep a secret, I assume the reasons are equally dramatic. Or at least equally improbable. ;)

To what end?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 10:04:51 AM »
The government is in a tricky position. They know the earth is flat but if they admit it they would immediately become unelectable. The reason for the cover up, therfore, is to retain power.

?

SciTy

To what end?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »
This is the same question I came to while reading about the Flat Earth Society.

See... I have a feeling a lot of things are being hidden by the governments of the world at the behest of a consolidated ruling class that manages each country of the world like branches of a company.  Usually I can determine the reason to cover certain things up... but I can't think of many reasons why they would want to cover up the flat earth idea if it is true.

The only idea I have is that perhaps that the earth was created for some kind of experiment and to have everyone know that that was the case would invalidate the experiment... so whoever is running the experiment is creating the illusion of a spherical earth so as to convince the population of some sort of sovereignty and freedom.

To what end?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 12:20:33 PM »
The only idea I have is that perhaps that the earth was created for some kind of experiment and to have everyone know that that was the case would invalidate the experiment... so whoever is running the experiment is creating the illusion of a spherical earth so as to convince the population of some sort of sovereignty and freedom.

You need to be more careful, they could be watching. For God's sake man, use the code!

?

SciTy

To what end?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
You need to be more careful, they could be watching. For God's sake man, use the code!

Right, right.

The BIBLE says THAT THE EARTH IS FLAT AND And that THE GALILEO IS A FONEY!

Also SCIENCE IS A LOAD OF HORSE BALOGNA AND PUCKEY!

NASA HOAXES EVERYTHING!  FLAMING LOGS ARE REALLY ALIVE WITH THE POWER OF RELIGION!  THEY BELIEVE!!

THE BIBLE!

ROUND PEOPLE WOULD FALL OFF OF FLAT PEOPLE IF FLAT PEOPLE WERE ROUND ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!!

AUSTRALIA IS A BALOGNA!!

In an aside: I know that phoney is spelled incorrectly

To what end?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 02:09:59 PM »
What is more likely?

That millions of people are being lied to about something that is easily disprovably with math and can be demonstrated with shadows and spacecraft.

OR

the world is round.

This whole site HAS to be a joke, nobody is this dumb, I am falling for it arent I?

To what end?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 04:08:17 AM »
Don't you see?

The government are protecting us!  If we all knew the earth was flat, then we would never be able to fight the collective urge to see what happens if we all grouped together in one place, subsequently toppling the earth, and sending us sliding off the edge, therefore bringing about the end of all humanity (except for those who could grab onto trees in time).

Simple...
sst...

....wanna buy some particles?

To what end?
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 05:09:08 AM »
never be able to fight the collective urge to see what happens if we all grouped together in one place, subsequently toppling the earth, and sending us sliding off the edge

Even the round earthers are tempted, see:

http://www.newscientist.com/backpage.ns?id=mg18725102.100

To what end?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 05:27:07 PM »
Quote from: "bcampestris"
The government is in a tricky position. They know the earth is flat but if they admit it they would immediately become unelectable. The reason for the cover up, therfore, is to retain power.

How does the voters' belief that the world is round enable them to vote?

To what end?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 11:26:52 PM »
Quote from: "Kaelri"

I think what he's saying is that we wouldn't vote for them if we found out that they're lying to us. Of course, we re-elected Bush, so that point's moot.

By the way - world jump day? lmao. that's classic.

To what end?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 06:54:22 AM »
Quote from: "hxcivic97"
Quote from: "Kaelri"

I think what he's saying is that we wouldn't vote for them if we found out that they're lying to us. Of course, we re-elected Bush, so that point's moot.

By the way - world jump day? lmao. that's classic.

Yes, I mean why did they lie in the first place? What was the original benefit of the deception?

?

DarkSideOfTheSpoon

To what end?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 07:57:30 PM »
never be able to fight the collective urge to see what happens if we all grouped together in one place, subsequently toppling the earth, and sending us sliding off the edge

Even the round earthers are tempted, see:

http://www.newscientist.com/backpage.ns?id=mg18725102.100

http://www.worldjumpday.org/

LMAO! The people who made that site are genius! It would be hilarious to see how many people actually fall for it. (I'm assuming here that it is a trick)

To what end?
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 05:39:41 PM »
No there serious and it could be dangerous. Of course they wil never move the earth (c newtons 3rd law of motion) but imagine what they will do to the plate they are standing on.