Pale Blue Dot

• 47 Replies
Pale Blue Dot
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Carl Sagan had it right. check out the video, has many gorgeous photos of our planet from space.

It's beautiful. Our pale blue dot in the vastness of space that we live in:

http://www.google.com/search?q=earth+from+space&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1111&bih=790

It's absolutely marvelous, this gorgeous earth. Close enough to our sun to have liquid water but not too close for it all to boil up. Land for us to build civilizations on and an oxegen rich atmosphere held in place around our planet by gravity. I am in awe how the laws of physics and interaction of matter through gravity has created such diversity in our universe.

http://www.google.com/search?q=earth+from+space&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1111&bih=790#q=earth+from+space&um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=isz:l&sa=X&ei=zTZNTv6SBMK50AG7xtTyBg&ved=0CAoQpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=e9f4c34a8ff9e903&biw=1111&bih=790

All these photos of a round earth from space, hundreds, thousands, that's a lot of fake photos the combined space agencies around the world had to make to fool everybody. Surely, there has to be some Flat Earther rich enough to gain access to high enough altitudes to see the earth for himself high enough and take a picture of flat earth. no one has yet! all pictures of flat earth are sad renderings or diagrams, no actual photo proof. and here come the conspiracy copouts.....

-UNIVERSE

Re: Pale Blue Dot
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
Surely, there has to be some Flat Earther rich enough to gain access to high enough altitudes to see the earth for himself high enough and take a picture of flat earth. no one has yet! all pictures of flat earth are sad renderings or diagrams, no actual photo proof.

I shrunk your post down to the actual content part.
Just because no one has provided pictures of the flat Earth does not mean that there exist none or that the Earth is not flat. Considering the small number of people who actually believe that Earth is flat, it would not be surprising to discover that none of them have the money.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
If you don't know, whenever you talk about it you're invoking the supernatural
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
of course. just because i don't have pictures of santa claus doesn't mean he's not real. ho ho ho  8)

we have all these high resolution photos of the earth and of other planets and moons taken from the numerous satellites we sent throughout the solar system and you still need more proof of a flat earth, even though there isn't a single realistic photo of a flat one. If NASAs just photoshopping all these fake round earth photos, surely it would be easy to find a designer or hire one to create one for you?!

if a photo of a flat earth came along would you use it as evidence for your cause? or dismiss it since it is just a photo?

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »
even though there isn't a single realistic photo of a flat one. If NASAs just photoshopping all these fake round earth photos, surely it would be easy to find a designer or hire one to create one for you?!

It would. People have the technology to pretty much create any picture they wanted and it be photo-realistic. Here's an example:
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »
ooooo, that rendering is beautiful. best i've seen!

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
Here's a rather pretty and realistic photo showing North America:

However, upon closer inspection (link to 2048x2048 image on Flickr.com) one can see some repeated patterns that appear, shall we say... unnatural?

::)
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”
― René Descartes

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
Very good first post, Piper.  Welcome to the FES.  :)

Tusk

• Official Member
  • Guidance is internal
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »

I'm having that on a T Shirt.

Thank you so much.

Sorry for the interruption. Carry on as normal.
Hang on, I'll just check my personal care factor for this week : nope still don't give a fuck

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:18:13 PM »

http://jpl.nasa.gov/images/blog/studenteds/earth.jpg

However, upon closer inspection (link to 2048x2048 image on Flickr.com) one can see some repeated patterns that appear, shall we say... unnatural?

http://i53.tinypic.com/zwdehc.jpg

If it weren't for the fact that that is not an actual picture picture of the Earth, but a composite, it would make me a little suspicious of NASA.
Unknown != Magic.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »
Why don't we just use the original Pale Blue Marble photo?

Berny
Sometimes the oldies are the best.  Not sure about the Dune movies though.
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »

http://jpl.nasa.gov/images/blog/studenteds/earth.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/zwdehc.jpg

If it weren't for the fact that that is not an actual picture picture of the Earth, but a composite, it would make me a little suspicious of NASA.

So true. Read more about the months of data this is based on.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/BlueMarble/BlueMarble_2002.php

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »
even though there isn't a single realistic photo of a flat one. If NASAs just photoshopping all these fake round earth photos, surely it would be easy to find a designer or hire one to create one for you?!

It would. People have the technology to pretty much create any picture they wanted and it be photo-realistic. Here's an example:

I love it, you can even see the atmosphere dissipating off the edges!
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »

Ok so a composite is not an actual picture, therefore I must conclude that we have no actual close-up pictures of any of the planets and their moons in our solar system.  We merely have fabricated images stitched together by scientists and "visualizers" (whatever those are).  Got it.

It is interesting to note that NASA's reference in the above link to the photo as "a seamless, true-color mosaic of every square kilometer of our planet" is grossly incorrect, as I have shown.
“If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.”
― René Descartes

?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 06:08:40 PM »

Ok so a composite is not an actual picture, therefore I must conclude that we have no actual close-up pictures of any of the planets and their moons in our solar system.  We merely have fabricated images stitched together by scientists and "visualizers" (whatever those are).  Got it.

It is interesting to note that NASA's reference in the above link to the photo as "a seamless, true-color mosaic of every square kilometer of our planet" is grossly incorrect, as I have shown.

Troll harder. Learn about mosaics. Learn that there is more than a single image of the earth.

?

Thork

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 04:15:45 AM »
Today NASA on facebook sent me this

Quote from: NASA on facebook
This picture of a crescent-shaped Earth and Moon -- the first of its kind ever taken by a spacecraft -- was recorded Sept. 18, 1977, by NASA's Voyager 1 when it was 7.25 million miles (11.66 million kilometers) from Earth.
This photo was made from three images taken through color filters, then processed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Because the Earth is many times brighter than the moon, the moon was artificially brightened so that both bodies would show clearly in the prints.

Now first, once you find the moon in that picture, good job. And second after all that photo-shopping, am I supposed to believe this picture is real? It just sounds like NASA saying, "Yeah its obviously shopped, we did shop it and we know we'll get caught, but its legit honest."

Also, here is a picture of the sun and the moon in the same picture.

Just how bright are NASA saying earth is, when you need to brighten the moon so much and can still barely see it, but yet its possible with no photo shopping, to get the sun and moon in the same shot?

Conclusion: Its shopped. The reasons they give for shopping it are BS. Its shopped because earth doesn't look like that. ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:46:28 AM by Thork »

?

Thork

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 05:56:43 AM »
Also ... adding to the OP.

Quote from: http://www.futilitycloset.com/2006/12/29/perspective/
Earth seen from 4 billion miles away, photographed by Voyager 1 on June 6, 1990.

Of the “pale blue dot,” astronomer Carl Sagan said, “That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every ‘superstar,’ every ‘supreme leader,’ every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there — on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.”

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 06:37:18 AM »
Also, here is a picture of the sun and the moon in the same picture.

Just how bright are NASA saying earth is, when you need to brighten the moon so much and can still barely see it, but yet its possible with no photo shopping, to get the sun and moon in the same shot?

Conclusion: Its shopped. The reasons they give for shopping it are BS. Its shopped because earth doesn't look like that. ::)
Are you serious? The earth's atmosphere dims the sun vastly, especially at sunset.
we're expected to throw up our hands and just BELIEVE.

?

Thork

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 06:59:41 AM »
Because the moon is much much higher in the sky? C'mon. NASA are claiming the moon is so dim as to need special shopping. In the picture above it is only about 5 degrees higher in the sky than the sun.
You guys just see what you want to see. Stop making excuses for NASA and start to question them. Its is they who are lying to you. Not FES.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 07:02:21 AM »
Because the moon is much much higher in the sky? C'mon. NASA are claiming the moon is so dim as to need special shopping. In the picture above it is only about 5 degrees higher in the sky than the sun.
You guys just see what you want to see. Stop making excuses for NASA and start to question them. Its is they who are lying to you. Not FES.
Look at the sun at noon. Look at the sun during sunset. Which blinds you faster? Also, in the picture, the moon is full, unlike in the the first picture in which it is a crescent, so that might contribute to it too. Furthermore, that is way higher than 5 degrees.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:07:06 AM by thefireproofmatch »

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 07:10:05 AM »
Also, you seem not to know that the Earth reflects more than twice the amount of light as the moon, in a RE or FE.

?

Thork

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »
NASA need to put the pictures through 3 filters and enhance the brightness to get a picture in which you can barely see the moon. And by sheer fluke the earth's atmosphere, does all that for them, far better than any of their technology could?
And not just to compare the earth and moon in the same shot, but the sun and moon?

You will believe anything the conspiracy tell you as long as it doesn't upset your little apple cart won't you? Even when logic stares you in the face, you give the atmosphere special magical qualities to explain it. lol. RE is a joke.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
You will believe anything the conspiracy tell you as long as it doesn't upset your little apple cart won't you? Even when logic stares you in the face, you give the atmosphere special magical qualities to explain it. lol.
When did I ever say the atmosphere had magical properties? The closer the sun is to the horizon, the more atmosphere the light has to travel through. This also causes the pretty colors during sunset. I don't understand why you just keep using the Conspiracy as a cop out instead of actually trying to counter my points.

FE is a joke
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:21:16 AM by thefireproofmatch »

?

Thork

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 07:25:10 AM »
I will reiterate the facts you are ignoring.

I produced a picture of the sun and the moon in the same picture. The delination of the moon not being all that high.

NASA have claimed the only way they could photo earth and the moon together is to use 3 filters and to brighten up the moon, and even then the picture is so bad as the moon isn't apparently obvious.
And you chose to believe this lame excuse. And no, RE is a joke.
In RE a man can jump into the air for 1 second, travel 193.7 miles and land in the exact same spot. A system with no losses at all. Perpetual motion. Just a small loss might mean landing a foot or two behind your starting point. RET is a joke. An old, repetitive and largely unfunny one, on you.

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 07:28:34 AM »
In RE a man can jump into the air for 1 second, travel 193.7 miles and land in the exact same spot. A system with no losses at all. Perpetual motion.

In FE, a man can jump into the air for one second, travel millions upon millions of miles and land in the exact same spot.
Unknown != Magic.

?

Thork

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 07:32:57 AM »
In RE a man can jump into the air for 1 second, travel 193.7 miles and land in the exact same spot. A system with no losses at all. Perpetual motion.

In FE, a man can jump into the air for one second, travel millions upon millions of miles and land in the exact same spot.
In FE he moves up and down and the earth moves up. Not across. Of course he lands in the same spot in FE. That's how it works. Earth is flat.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
NASA have claimed the only way they could photo earth and the moon together is to use 3 filters and to brighten up the moon, and even then the picture is so bad as the moon isn't apparently obvious.
I am not ignoring that. I believe i told you that the earth is much more brighter than the moon. I'm not the one who is ignoring things.

?

Thork

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 07:39:27 AM »
I accepted that. But the earth is not much brighter than the sun is it? Its much much dimmer than the sun in RET. So how can I happily photograph the sun and moon together, the brightest and dimmest, and not the moon and earth, both of which are of similar luminosity when compared with the sun.
You are ignoring how bright the sun is and saying oh yeah, the atmosphere in those few degrees brightens the moon and dims the sun so you can see it. A feat that could not be matched by NASA in a lab trying merely to get the earth and moon in the same shot.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 07:43:19 AM »
You are ignoring how bright the sun is and saying oh yeah, the atmosphere in those few degrees brightens the moon and dims the sun so you can see it. A feat that could not be matched by NASA in a lab trying merely to get the earth and moon in the same shot.
>never said the moon got brighter

The atmosphere dims the sun more because of its very close proximity to the horizon. Troll smarter.

?

Thork

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 07:47:24 AM »
Lol. The sun can be dimmed by the atmosphere in those few degrees sufficient to make a shot where both are very clear.

But NASA using 3 filters and brightening the moon can only manage

NASA are only trying to get the moon and earth in a shot. The natural shot has the sun in it. The sun! The really bright sun!

It has to be the poorest excuse I have seen from NASA in a while. Do not claim the atmosphere is some magic photo-lab. It makes you appear foolish.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:51:08 AM by Thork »

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 07:55:05 AM »
Lol. The sun can be dimmed by the atmosphere in those few degrees sufficient to make a shot where both are very clear.

But NASA using 3 filters and brightening the moon can only manage

It has to be the poorest excuse I have seen from NASA in a while. Do not claim the atmosphere is some magic photo-lab. It makes you appear foolish.
Can i use my get-out-of-thread free card? I've already said everything that i can say that makes your arguments incorrect, but you keep brushing them off and say i claim unreasonable things, when in fact you either don't understand or choose to ignore them.