Suggestion: Redirect new accounts to the FAQ.

• 26 Replies

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
Suggestion: Redirect new accounts to the FAQ.
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:48:54 PM »
I believe it would make more people read the FAQ if they were redirected to it right after setting up an account. As silly as this may sound, many people seem unaware of the FAQ's existence.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
Re: Suggestion: Redirect new accounts to the FAQ.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
Shouldnt you first actually write an faq that stands up to scrutiny.  Shouldnt this faq contain information that FE'rs believe to be true?

Telling people to read the FAQ, and the telling them you dont believe the contents when they ask you about it, is pretty pointless.
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
Please do not discuss the content of the FAQ in this thread. This is not what it is about.
Feel free to start a new thread if you'd like to begin a discussion about updating the FAQ. As the billionth person to do so, you may* win an iPad 2!

*-You won't.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:22:14 PM by PizzaPlanet »

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
My comment is completely on topic.  Referring people to an FAQ that nobody believes in has no point
I read the faq, and asked many questions about it.  Every answer was that the faq is outdated, and contains no information that is defensible 

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
My comment is completely on topic.
Incorrect.

I read the faq
You belong to a scarce minority.

Every answer was that the faq is outdated, and contains no information that is defensible 
Oh, wait, you didn't read it. How predictable.
Also, if you'd like to start a thread about the FAQ's contents, feel free to. However, I once again request that you cease posting off topic.

Could a moderator please remove Theodolite's trash from this thread?

Skeleton

• Frankly, I have better things to do with my time.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »
I concur with Theodolites relevant post that directing people to the FAQ before it has been thoroughly updated is a waste of time.
If the ultimate objective is to kill Skeleton, we should just do that next.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:55:51 PM »
I concur with Theodolites relevant post that directing people to the FAQ before it has been thoroughly updated is a waste of time.
To be honest, you'd say the same even if it was updated (unless it says 'FE is wrong and this site is a troll') because you are  unwavering in your globularist zealotry.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
yes, please let Davis, Willmore, and James rewrite it, these 3 I know are "true" believers,

the Faqqers are mostly trolls.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
To be honest, you'd say the same even if it was updated (unless it says 'FE is wrong and this site is a troll') because you are  unwavering in your globularist zealotry.

Personally I would love an faq that actually lead to debate.  The only people that even refer to the faq (pizzaplanet, etc) are 0 content trolls

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
The only people that even refer to the faq (pizzaplanet, etc) are 0 content trolls
Incorrect. Just because you refuse to view content does not mean the content isn't there.
In a very recent conversation I have directed you to the FAQ because you were interested in how a FE could hold an atmosphere.
By a weird coincidence (clearly, this has not been intentional. That would be terrible!) the FAQ answer regarding that specific issue is very much up to date.
While the FAQ may contain answers that have been since abandoned, in no way does that invalidate other answers.
Also, the content of the FAQ is not relevant to whether or not people read it. They don't know the content before they've read it; they only know others' opinion about it. It's kind of like watching Fox News. You happen to be an excellent example of this. You haven't read the FAQ, and you will not, because it's easier for you to claim it contains no answers. This may be a surprise to you, but most regulars here won't copy-paste nor rewrite this answer to you. I did, because I'm a very nice person (or because I feel a little bit sorry for you, depending on approach to subject).

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 06:59:25 AM »
The only people that even refer to the faq (pizzaplanet, etc) are 0 content trolls
Incorrect. Just because you refuse to view content does not mean the content isn't there.
In a very recent conversation I have directed you to the FAQ because you were interested in how a FE could hold an atmosphere.
By a weird coincidence (clearly, this has not been intentional. That would be terrible!) the FAQ answer regarding that specific issue is very much up to date.
While the FAQ may contain answers that have been since abandoned, in no way does that invalidate other answers.
Also, the content of the FAQ is not relevant to whether or not people read it. They don't know the content before they've read it; they only know others' opinion about it. It's kind of like watching Fox News. You happen to be an excellent example of this. You haven't read the FAQ, and you will not, because it's easier for you to claim it contains no answers. This may be a surprise to you, but most regulars here won't copy-paste nor rewrite this answer to you. I did, because I'm a very nice person (or because I feel a little bit sorry for you, depending on approach to subject).

I have read the faq, which I told you.  The answers are simply hypothetical ideas, not scientific models or theories.  If you were to post any of the rubbish in response to one of my questions, I would immediately refute it.

I have posted a lot of reasons why FE is impossible in a lot of threads, and none of them have been refuted.  Youre going to have to step up your game if you want to come play with the big boys, and stop FAQQing and trolling

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 10:10:36 AM »
The purpose of the FAQ is to provide some answers to frequently asked questions. It doesn't need to have scientific models or theories. I'm sure you've noticed in your short time here how often some of these questions are asked.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Skeleton

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »
The purpose of the FAQ is to provide some answers to frequently asked questions. It doesn't need to have scientific models or theories. I'm sure you've noticed in your short time here how often some of these questions are asked.

Irrelevant if those answers are proved wrong in other sections of the forum, which they are. Lets do some examples right here.
Q: "Why do you believe the Earth is flat?"
A:  It looks that way up close.
No it doesnt. You cant see anything further than about 25 miles away from an average altitude even under the clearest atmospheric circumstances, ships appear to sink over the horizon, and the horizon is below horizontal eye level. None of that is what a flat plane looks like. Whats next?
Q: "Please explain sunrises and sunsets."
A: It is a perspective effect. The sun is just getting farther away: it looks like it is disappearing because everything gets smaller, and eventually disappears as it gets farther away.
No it doesnt. It can be observed easily not to get smaller. Hold a coin up. Any more?
Q: "What about gravity?"
A1: In the dark energy model, DE accelerates the Earth and all celestial bodies in the universe at 9.81m/s2. This is commonly known as Universal Acceleration, which produces the same effect as "gravity" in our local reference frame.
Q: "Wouldn't the Earth crunch up into itself and eventually transform into a ball if it's indeed a disc?"
A: The dark energy model assumes that the Earth does not possess a gravitational field. What we know as "gravity" is provided by the acceleration of the Earth.
Disproved by local variations in gravitaional pull, impossible in a UA scenario. Are we done yet? Oh, not quite:
Q: "Exactly what shape is the Earth if it is flat? Square or circle?"
A: Circle, like in the UN logo.
And your evidence for this is... what? Does anyone know? I dont remember ever seeing a single post explaining how the flattists "know" this.
Q: "How come the travel time by air from South America to New Zealand, via the polar route, is SHORTER than the travel time going North first and then South again?"
A: The airline pilots are guided by their GPS. Remember that satellites do not exist. The replacement data given from pseudolites deliberately throwing distorting all the paths to make it the flights take different times. The curvature of these paths can add or subtract great distances without the overall turning being obvious to someone traveling it.
Disproved by understanding that this can't happen. See: Bilocation Paradox, navigation by VOR radials, dead reckoning, celestial navigation. Is that all?
Q: "Why doesn't water run off the Earth?"
A: There is a vast "ice wall" that keeps the water where it is. This explains why you can find a vast plane of ice as you travel southward. The wall is roughly 150ft high.
Figure of 150ft arrived at by... who knows? Latitude of ice wall is... oops, theres no agreemaent on whether its north of the south polar base, or south of it. Maybe this is because nobody has ever seen it.

Is there really any sense in directing people to a source of information they will realise is wrong the moment they start reading other sections of the forum? Who does that help?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
The only think you've proved is that you are a boring troll who'll never enter into the spirit of this website.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Skeleton

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »
The only think you've proved is that you are a boring troll who'll never enter into the spirit of this website.

So you define "spirit of this website = inaccuracy", then. Glad we have cleared this up.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
Yes, by the use of those quotation marks it is safe to assume that I am the one defining inaccuracy.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 12:20:36 PM »

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
I have read the faq
Incorrect.

I very much doubt you have access to the information necessary to say that his claim is false, so please refrain from doing so. Also, this is irrelevant.

New users should not be redirected to the FAQ until it is has been improved.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
If you don't know, whenever you talk about it you're invoking the supernatural
Unknown != Magic.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
I very much doubt you have access to the information necessary to say that his claim is false, so please refrain from doing so.
Incorrect. I have verified it experimentally.

Also, this is irrelevant.
I know. Unfortunately, Theodolite has derailed the thread, and everyone decided to carry on with him.

New users should not be redirected to the FAQ until it is has been improved.
I disagree. While improving the FAQ is a very pressing matter, many of the answers currently present in it are the exact same answers people will hear after asking a question.

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »
I very much doubt you have access to the information necessary to say that his claim is false, so please refrain from doing so.
Incorrect.

Are you really claiming that I am lying about what I doubt?
Unknown != Magic.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »
Are you really claiming that I am lying about what I doubt?
Yes. I am assuming that you have researched the situation before expressing your doubts, in which case the only possibility is that you are insincere about your doubts.
Of course, my assumption might be incorrect, in which case the entire conclusion collapses.

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »
Yes. I am assuming that you have researched the situation before expressing your doubts, in which case the only possibility is that you are insincere about your doubts.
Of course, my assumption might be incorrect, in which case I really am wrong.

Your assumption is correct. I know enough to reasonably assume that you and Theo do not live together or have access to each other's web history.
Unknown != Magic.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 01:00:57 PM »
Your assumption is correct. I know enough to reasonably assume that you and Theo do not live together or have access to each other's web history.
Ah, so you didn't research it, you just made an assumption. That renders my assumption incorrect.
Had you researched it, you would know that Theodolite has no idea what's in the FAQ, and therefore has either not read it, or not read it with sufficient attention.

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 01:02:14 PM »
Ah, so you didn't research it, you just made an assumption. That renders my assumption incorrect.

Why research what I already knew? Unless you are implying that I have to 100% know something before I can use it as a premise?
Unknown != Magic.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »
Why research what I already knew?
Because it led you to an entirely incorrect conclusion.

Unless you are implying that I have to 100% know something before I can use it as a premise?
No. I've made an assumption myself in this very thread.

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
Why research what I already knew?
Because it led you to an entirely incorrect conclusion.

Accuracy doesn't affect sincerity.
Unknown != Magic.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 01:25:25 PM »
Accuracy doesn't affect sincerity.
You're right. As I already said, my initial assumption was incorrect, thus ruining my conclusion. You were probably not insincere.