Persieds Meteor shower

• 92 Replies
?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
Persieds Meteor shower
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »
Ah, tonight and tomorrow night are the peak nights of the persied meteor shower. I'll be camping out tonight and be watching meteors after midnight.

Anyways, I thought of FE. I searched and found some topics on the subject of meteor showers, but no FE explanation. So, I thought to give it another shot. FE, explain the following two points.
1) Why do certain meteor showers, like the persieds, occur 365 days apart all the time?
2) Why is the meteor/hour rate greatest from midnight to dawn?

In RE, the answers are trivial:
A comet leaves dust behind it, so there is a constant dust stream in the same location that the earth moves through:
1) Since this dust stream is from a comet path which is constant, the earth will pass through it once a year (365 days).
2) Since dawn is always at the "front" of the earth, in terms of the earth's movement around the sun, the meteors are most visible after midnight and the shower is best right before dawn while it is dark enough to still see the meteors.

So, FE, what's up with the annual meteor showers?

More info at:
http://www.imo.net/zhr

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: Persieds Meteor shower
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
Ah, tonight and tomorrow night are the peak nights of the persied meteor shower. I'll be camping out tonight and be watching meteors after midnight.

Anyways, I thought of FE. I searched and found some topics on the subject of meteor showers, but no FE explanation. So, I thought to give it another shot. FE, explain the following two points.
1) Why do certain meteor showers, like the persieds, occur 365 days apart all the time?

1) Meteors, in my opinion, are simply stellar ejecta.
2) Because it is easier to see meteors (and stars for that matter) when the night sky is darkest.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

momentia

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »

1) Meteors, in my opinion, are simply stellar ejecta.
2) Because it is easier to see meteors (and stars for that matter) when the night sky is darkest.

Well, I saw a few, but clouds rolled in and obscured most of the sky.

1) Ok, now explain the periodicity.
2) Night is as dark before midnight as after. Anyways, all meteors in the shower seem to radiate from a point due to perspective. This point, in all meteor showers (I've checked the major ones online, and know from experience), is always at their zenith close to dawn, never at any other time of the day. Why is there this asymmetry according to FE?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Periodicity may be the result of recurrent stellar novae. If the ejecta is directly above the observer it will, of course,  be closer and more visible.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Skeleton

• Frankly, I have better things to do with my time.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
Periodicity may be the result of recurrent stellar novae. If the ejecta is directly above the observer it will, of course,  be closer and more visible.

ITT: Ski knows nothing at all about astronomy.
If the ultimate objective is to kill Skeleton, we should just do that next.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
if the Earth (as with everything above it)is accelerating at 9.8 m/sec objects from space can never hit the Earth (even is "cast off" from planets or stars they would still accelerate upwards), otherwise Universal Acceleration would be false.

Could it be possible these flashes out light are cause by our sun? Since it never really sets its possible that due to unknown phenomonon, flashes of our sun can be seen?

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
if the Earth (as with everything above it)is accelerating at 9.8 m/sec objects from space can never hit the Earth (even is "cast off" from planets or stars they would still accelerate upwards), otherwise Universal Acceleration would be false.

Could it be possible these flashes out light are cause by our sun? Since it never really sets its possible that due to unknown phenomonon, flashes of our sun can be seen?

What about Meteorites?  We get plenty of small ones falling to earth, as well as the occasional big beastie...
The Gulf of Mexico, 65 million years ago is quite a nice example!
BSc (Hons) Geology
Fellow of the Geological Society of London

Skeleton

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »

UA has been proved false by variations in strength of gravity in different places on earth, something that is utterly impossible with UA. Just accept it doesnt exist, OK?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »

Of course the particles are being accelerated "upwards" at 9.8 m/s/s. This acceleration does not preclude a net velocity or net acceleration "downwards".

?

momentia

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »

So, for at least 2000 years (data from China), the SAME STAR has gone supernova every 365 days?
And there is no bright point in the sky like a regular supernova?
And similar supernova always follow the same periodicity?
And the zenith for these supernova always occurs at dawn?

I think your idea needs a lot of revising, starting with the shape of the earth and knowledge of astronomy.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »
If the sun is only 3000 miles away, Im sure we can estimate its size and mass.

What percent of its total volume do these meteors entail?  What mechanism causes them to eject?
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

Skeleton

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »

Of course the particles are being accelerated "upwards" at 9.8 m/s/s. This acceleration does not preclude a net velocity or net acceleration "downwards".

Ski will reconcile this statement of upwards acceleration at 9.8m/s/s with the fact that it varies between 9.78m/s/s and 9.832m/s/s, a variation of about 0.5%, depending on where you are. I have popcorn to eat while I watch him flail about explaining how different bits of his flat plane are moving at different speeds.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 02:16:20 AM »
If the sun is only 3000 miles away, Im sure we can estimate its size and mass.

What percent of its total volume do these meteors entail?  What mechanism causes them to eject?

And what causes them to hold significantly different compositions than the sun itself?  And, then, why do meteorites themselves have different properties and compositions (Iron, Stony, Chondrite, and so on...)?
BSc (Hons) Geology
Fellow of the Geological Society of London

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »
Modern science suggests that meteors are rocks which fall from the Moon, the Antimoon and the other celestial bodies.  Be very careful observing meteor showers; I do not know why anyone would want to take a shower under a cascade of falling rocks but I can assure you it is very dangerous.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Lorddave

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
Modern science suggests that meteors are rocks which fall from the Moon, the Antimoon and the other celestial bodies.  Be very careful observing meteor showers; I do not know why anyone would want to take a shower under a cascade of falling rocks but I can assure you it is very dangerous.
Only to you perhaps. But I am protected by friction.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:46:56 AM »
I do not know why anyone would want to take a shower under a cascade of falling rocks but I can assure you it is very dangerous.

How many documented cases are there of anyone ever being hit by a meteor?  I can assure you that the number is very small.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Skeleton

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »
I do not know why anyone would want to take a shower under a cascade of falling rocks but I can assure you it is very dangerous.

How many documented cases are there of anyone ever being hit by a meteor?  I can assure you that the number is very small.

IIRC, I think it is one injury to the arm and one death of a dog. No humans have been killed that are documented.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »

IIRC, I think it is one injury to the arm and one death of a dog. No humans have been killed that are documented.

Thank you for your unsupported and laughable guess regarding whether or not people have been killed by meteors.  I'm sure a quick google search would reveal that you're absolutely wrong.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 09:20:18 AM »

Thank you for your unsupported and laughable guess regarding whether or not people have been killed by meteors.  I'm sure a quick google search would reveal that you're absolutely wrong.

Actually, a quick google search reveals that he is not far off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite#Meteorites_in_history
There are several reported instances of falling meteorites having killed both people and livestock, but a few of these appear more credible than others. The most infamous reported fatality from a meteorite impact is that of an Egyptian dog that was killed in 1911, although this report is highly disputed. This particular meteorite fall was identified in the 1980s as Martian in origin. However, there is substantial evidence that the meteorite known as Valera hit and killed a cow upon impact, nearly dividing the animal in two, and similar unsubstantiated reports of a horse being struck and killed by a stone of the New Concord fall also abound. Throughout history, many first and second-hand reports of meteorites falling on and killing both humans and other animals abound, but none have been well documented.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 09:35:55 AM »
It does not take a genius, to discover that a cascade of rocks falling from the sky is a danger to life and limb.  If you run about in the open air and let your pets play amongst the falling rocks, I would not be surprised if you undergo a serious accident!
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Lorddave

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »
It does not take a genius, to discover that a cascade of rocks falling from the sky is a danger to life and limb.  If you run about in the open air and let your pets play amongst the falling rocks, I would not be surprised if you undergo a serious accident!
But I am immune to such things by Friction.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 09:39:30 AM »
Do you have any evidence for your outlandish claims?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »

Actually, a quick google search reveals that he is not far off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite#Meteorites_in_history
There are several reported instances of falling meteorites having killed both people and livestock, but a few of these appear more credible than others. The most infamous reported fatality from a meteorite impact is that of an Egyptian dog that was killed in 1911, although this report is highly disputed. This particular meteorite fall was identified in the 1980s as Martian in origin. However, there is substantial evidence that the meteorite known as Valera hit and killed a cow upon impact, nearly dividing the animal in two, and similar unsubstantiated reports of a horse being struck and killed by a stone of the New Concord fall also abound. Throughout history, many first and second-hand reports of meteorites falling on and killing both humans and other animals abound, but none have been well documented.

Rebuttal:
http://www.dba-oracle.com/news_meteor_strikes_may_hit_people.htm
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:41 AM »

Then you have no documented evidence that anyone has ever been killed by meteors.  Thanks for clearing that up, James.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »
Then you have no documented evidence that anyone has ever been killed by meteors.  Thanks for clearing that up, James.
It's okay, I've found some:
http://www.oberlin.edu/faculty/bsimonso/group9.htm
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 11:06:26 AM »
So, for at least 2000 years (data from China), the SAME STAR has gone supernova every 365 days?

Not a supernova; but perhaps novae. And recurrent novae are not unheard of.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:11:22 AM by Ski »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
It's okay, I've found some:
http://www.oberlin.edu/faculty/bsimonso/group9.htm

Shhh!!!  James is supposed to be doing the research.  >:(

Even if there are a few documented cases, I still have a far better chance of hitting the PowerBall jackpot than getting hit by a meteor.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
Even if there are a few documented cases, I still have a far better chance of hitting the PowerBall jackpot than getting hit by a meteor.
Apparently, your chances of getting hit killed by a meteor are higher than those of dying in a terrorist attack. I saw a source for that a while ago, let's see if I can find it again.

EDIT: Ah, there we go: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/10/13/death-by-meteorite/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:17:33 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

zork

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »

And there is no bright point in the sky like a regular supernova?
And similar supernova always follow the same periodicity?
And the zenith for these supernova always occurs at dawn?

I think your idea needs a lot of revising, starting with the shape of the earth and knowledge of astronomy.
In the light of James answer I cant hold on but have to speculate in same seriousness that maybe the 365 days are the mating period of stars and so they ejaculate and their ejecta reaches the earth. Stars are living organisms you know. And there is thousands of them. Unfortunately the ejecta from couple hundred or so only reaches the earth and the most powerful ones make the great meteor showers.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Lorddave

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
Do you have any evidence for your outlandish claims?
I have not been bit by falling rocks, even during a meteor shower.

Do you not teach that we should obsesrve our surroundings and come to our conclusions based on that?  If the Earth looks flat, it is flat.  Is that not what FET is about?
So if I observe that I, nor many others have been injured by meteor showers, surely that is conclusive evidence, based on the Zenticism, that meteor showers are not dangerous.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:58:38 PM by Lorddave »