James May from Top Gear rides in a U-2 spy plane

• 80 Replies
James May from Top Gear rides in a U-2 spy plane
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:33:55 AM »
At 6:10 you can clearly see very good special effects.

Ice wall ninja

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: James May from Top Gear rides in a U-2 spy plane
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:21:04 AM »
They are looking down at a circle.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:58 AM »
a very good video of our giant disc,

thanks for sharing

Skeleton

• Frankly, I have better things to do with my time.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »

Then how come it shows North America as being at the edge then?  :P
If the ultimate objective is to kill Skeleton, we should just do that next.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »

I didn't see that. If you look into the distance the atmosphere builds up and you can't really see surface features.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »

Canada is the ice wall? 
Ice wall ninja

Skeleton

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »

I didn't see that. If you look into the distance the atmosphere builds up and you can't really see surface features.

I watched the whole programme when it was shown on TV.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
A bastardized Dragon Lady.  Somewhat sad. 

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
What would you expect to see? Our line of sight is a circular, one would expect a rounded edge to our field of vision.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:33:32 PM »
What would you expect to see? Our line of sight is a circular
Incorrect.
we're expected to throw up our hands and just BELIEVE.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »
Incorrect.

Incorrect

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »
Incorrect.

Incorrect
Please elaborate.

Our line of sight is circular regardless of what theory you prescribe to.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »
Incorrect.

Incorrect
Please elaborate.

Do you mean as in, we can see around 360 degrees? By line of sight presumed he meant the straight line from the eye to the object that is being viewed.

Skeleton

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »
Incorrect.

Incorrect
Please elaborate.

If by line of sight you mean field of vision, its not circular.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »
Incorrect.

Incorrect
Please elaborate.

What if we cut one of your eyes out?
Would it then be circular?

Berny
Zombie Movie Night
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
Incorrect.

Incorrect
Please elaborate.

This is a Parsifal-esque level of pedantry. It is semi-circular then, depending on one's peripheral vision.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Skeleton

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

This is a Parsifal-esque level of pedantry. It is semi-circular then, depending on one's peripheral vision.

Its not pedantry at all. If by line of sight he actually meant field of vision it makes a big difference to claims made about it. Even the view from a single eye is not circular. You can test this yourself, but I will be a tease and let you work out how.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »

Its not pedantry at all. If by line of sight he actually meant field of vision it makes a big difference to claims made about it. Even the view from a single eye is not circular. You can test this yourself, but I will be a tease and let you work out how.
Lolwut? Clearly there has been some misunderstanding. One's line of sight (field of vision, whatever you want to call it) is curved, as for about a 160 degree arc you can see equally in every direction. I thought it was pretty simple that it is an arc of a circle.

Skeleton

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »

Lolwut? Clearly there has been some misunderstanding. One's line of sight (field of vision, whatever you want to call it) is curved, as for about a 160 degree arc you can see equally in every direction. I thought it was pretty simple that it is an arc of a circle.

You cant see equally in every direction. You assume you can because your eye is round, but each eye has part of its vision blocked by your facial features such as nose and brow. Unless your eye is on a stalk or you are grotesquely deformed, these areas are permanently vignetting your sight. The lateral side of your vision has the greatest periphery, the superior part the least. The medio-lateral axis has greater coverage than the supero-inferior axis (in laymans terms you can see more side to side than you can up and down).
You would think this would be noticeable but it isnt very because your eyes are used to it throughout your life. You also are almost unable to see colour at the edge of your vision but your brain fills it in for you without you realising.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »

You cant see equally in every direction. You assume you can because your eye is round, but each eye has part of its vision blocked by your facial features such as nose and brow. Unless your eye is on a stalk or you are grotesquely deformed, these areas are permanently vignetting your sight. The lateral side of your vision has the greatest periphery, the superior part the least. The medio-lateral axis has greater coverage than the supero-inferior axis (in laymans terms you can see more side to side than you can up and down).
You would think this would be noticeable but it isnt very because your eyes are used to it throughout your life. You also are almost unable to see colour at the edge of your vision but your brain fills it in for you without you realising.

Go to the ocean and look at the horizon. It will be curved.

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »

How is this relevant? Also, the curvature is too insignificant to be seen at sea level.

Skeleton

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 05:46:39 AM »

1. Irrelevant

2. Incorrect.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 12:32:17 AM »
Start watching the video below at 5:04, you can clearly see him look left then right. If the earth was flat then alot of it would not be reciving light from a spotlight. But the entire side is lit up, showing us that the FET is wrong.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:35:31 AM by AndersonG22 »
Ice wall ninja

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 03:28:16 AM »

And here I thought Thork was the resident expert on semantic derails.

The point of the original comment about line of sight had nothing to do with eye/face anatomy and the relative extent of your peripheral vision in various directions.  I think we can all fairly agree that the video in question was shot using some sort of camera, which presumably has a symmetrical lens system for capturing images and a symmetrical boundary restricting outside light.

In such a device, the field of vision is indeed circular (or approximately so).  If a camera can only see (hypothetically) objects 40 yards directly in front, then barring any major defects we can take this to be the radius of its field of vision.  Said another way:  if a camera pointed along the x-axis can see objects up to 40 yards away along that axis, then it will not be able to see objects 40 yards along the x-axis and 1 yard along the y-axis; it will, however, be able to see objects within the circle defined by x^2 + y^2 = 1600 (within the left/right bounds of its vision of course).

The original comment about line of line of sight was meant (I think) to imply that for objects receding into infinity we will observe a circular shape over a large enough area, presumably because we can only see to a certain distance.  Thus, for a flat Earth that extends infinitely along its plane, any observer sufficiently high up will note a circular boundary to the portion of Earth that they can see.

If you really want to find flaw with the argument, ask instead about the reasons which might limit the distance that we can see.  Without obstruction, light will travel into infinity.  In this case, observing blackness beyond a certain radius indicates that either there is nothing in that direction at all to emit/reflect light, or that there is something that is obstructing the light.

If it were the first case, then there would not even be a question of the shape of our line of sight.  Since the poster (Hazbollah, I think?) made the comment, we must therefore assume that he believes something is obstructing light from traveling after a long enough distance. 

The only thing possible to obstruct light in this case is the atmosphere (a reasonable candidate, to be sure).  The problem with this, however, is that such an observation of a very regularly-shaped circular section would require an extremely homogenous chunk of atmosphere between the observer and the horizon.  Without this homogeneity, different amounts of light will be obstructed over different areas, and the horizon that we see here would not be very regularly shaped. 

It is well known that the atmosphere is far from homogenous.  It may contain a fairly regular mix of gases, but it varies greatly in density, moisture content, temperature, etc. (hence, weather happens).  All of these things would affect the transmission of light through the medium.  The clouds alone in this video are enough to demonstrate that no such homogeneity is being observed.

So the question becomes:  If you expect your observations from limited field of vision to imitate a circle, then you must also expect the limiting factors to be regular along the field; when no such regularity exists, what else could be an explanation for the observed circularity?

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:20 AM »
Start watching the video below at 5:04, you can clearly see him look left then right. If the earth was flat then alot of it would not be reciving light from a spotlight. But the entire side is lit up, showing us that the FET is wrong.

Flat earthers, please respond.
Ice wall ninja

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 10:53:43 PM »
To START: forgiveness is a truly beautiful and amazing characteristic of humans... none the less i am going to post a few screenshots of this video to point out some things that RE'S and FE'S of the like can both agree on.

1. Wide angle lens curvature.
2. PROOF of a Wide Angular lens
3. Evidence as to curvature of film
4. PROOF as to why the camera man didn't zoom in all the way into the earth in his handheld camera view.
5. I do believe it is the ONLY TIME the Hand Held cameraman looked at the stationary camera, and it directly proceeded the view of this screenshot

so lady's and gentleman, probably only Gentlemen... the show you have all been waiting for.
Fear has to do with Punishment, test it out, most time's i get fearful I am afraid of the consequenes of something.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »

this is sequenced, meaning in the order in which the frames were taken, as evidence you can count the time lapse numbers(as if numbers mean anything anymore). Evidence is for the net to decide for themselves what they think, I have my opinions, but I am always open to others. Especially if they are logical and truthful.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 11:15:49 PM »

The parts that aren't lit up are the dark parts. They might be difficult to distinguish from the also dark space. I would think that to be obvious.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
I sense a look to see if anyone is watching, an exposure of the deceit with a slight hint of (i'm gonna get so busted for this), then a look to heaven, then a sense of despair.

any others?

BTW. IN ORDER TO SEE PICTURES MORE CLEARLY YOU HAVE TO ZOOM TO THE RIGHT.