Stupid FE theories

• 55 Replies

Skeleton

• Frankly, I have better things to do with my time.
Stupid FE theories
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:57:15 PM »
...to quote from Thork.
Thork recently denounced the increasingly popular south centric model as "a stupid FE theory".
I would like any flattists who agree with him to post in this thread why the north centric model is better and not stupid. After all, since the moderators think discussion of a south centric model is so silly it belongs in the nonsense section of the forum, there must be a jolly good reason why the north centric one is better. I have been told that "nobody believes the south centric model", and I am keen to know why this is, as the north centric one must have some supreme advantages to persuade everyone.
Of course, everyone realises that historical precedent is irrelevant, as all flattists weigh the data carefully and do not subscribe to dogma or "it is written" as an excuse. And as we all know from history, the first theory of how something works is rarely the correct one.
If the ultimate objective is to kill Skeleton, we should just do that next.

?

Thork

Re: Stupid FE theories
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:02:15 PM »
inb4 rm.

Why don't RErs ever give us maps like this?

Its about as important.

Skeleton

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
inb4 rm.

Its about as important.

A map like that is perfectly usable and indeed there is no reason not to use it other than convention, which as we agree is irrelevant. However, its a little different with a map of a flat earth. It makes quite a big difference in terms of the surface area of countries. And whether or not Antarctica is a massive edge ring 25,000 miles across or a very much smaller central continent.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
No one puts a map on their wall that way round. No one thinks a flat earth is south-centric.

Skeleton

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
No one puts a map on their wall that way round. No one thinks a flat earth is south-centric.

Very true, Brother Thork, very true. I would like to know why this is. Can you help?

?

thefireproofmatch

• ಠ_ರೃ
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
No one thinks a flat earth is south-centric.
Incorrect. At least skeleton does.
we're expected to throw up our hands and just BELIEVE.

Skeleton

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
No one thinks a flat earth is south-centric.
Incorrect. At least skeleton does.

Actually I dont. I think the earth approximates a sphere. However, I am curious why the north centric model has gained favour over the south centric one, which has been suggested before by others, so FES members must have been aware it was proposed.

?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
inb4 rm.

Its about as important.

This:

is the same as this:

This:

is not the same as this:

Skeleton

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
Excellent demonstration of a south centric map there, Momentia.

?

momentia

• Light abhors a straight line.
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »
Excellent demonstration of a south centric map there, Momentia.

I know, in this model, Antarctica isn't a ridiculous shape. It would explain how scientific bases exist there.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 03:48:24 AM »
Stop trolling skeleton. I have given you very obvious answers before as to why this is.

However you have titled this thread 'Stupid FE theories'.

They are not FE theories. They are your stupid theories. No one here subscribes to them.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 03:59:23 AM »
Stop trolling skeleton. I have given you very obvious answers before as to why this is.

Perhaps you could still answer his question, just to humor the rest of us?

I am still pretty new here and haven't gone back to read every thread for the past ~1 year or so (since you registered), so I may have missed this specific content.

?

Thork

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 04:01:16 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49591.msg1218202#msg1218202

One such example. I'm not wasting any more time on it. Its nonsense.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 04:36:46 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply Thork.  While you're at it, would you mind helping me out with a couple other questions I have?  I took a lot of time and posted some fairly detailed arguments in a couple threads last week, and got no replies from FErs :(

Specifically, I'm hoping to get your thoughts on the following two posts:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49803.msg1223457#msg1223457
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49302.msg1221373#msg1221373

Both of these are discussions in which you were participating, but vanished shortly after I contributed.  Let me know what you think, I'd like to keep these discussions open.

Thanks!

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 04:54:42 AM »
How about, this can't work because people regularly cross the North Pole? This isn't very hard, you know.

?

Thork

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:59 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply Thork.  While you're at it, would you mind helping me out with a couple other questions I have?  I took a lot of time and posted some fairly detailed arguments in a couple threads last week, and got no replies from FErs :(

Specifically, I'm hoping to get your thoughts on the following two posts:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49803.msg1223457#msg1223457
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49302.msg1221373#msg1221373

Both of these are discussions in which you were participating, but vanished shortly after I contributed.  Let me know what you think, I'd like to keep these discussions open.

Thanks!
Done.

Skeleton

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »
How about, this can't work because people regularly cross the North Pole? This isn't very hard, you know.

How about, this cant work because people regularly cross the South Pole? This is harder than it looks.

Skeleton

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=49591.msg1218202#msg1218202

One such example. I'm not wasting any more time on it. Its nonsense.

There is a very easy answer to this. It is the reason round earthers designate Antartica a continent and the Arctic does not get this distinction.
The Arctic is a floating lump of ice.
The Antarctic sits on rock.
These are undisputable facts, that neither party argues.

So the icewall is sat on a bed of rock. A rocky rim around the earth, if you will. With the ice on top, this forms an impenetrable barrier keeping our oceans from spilling out over this rim.  And yes. Global warming terrifies flat earthers. Should the ice wall melt, our oceans would rush through the breach and with most of the planets water gone, no rain, no food, no life.  :o

This is also one of the reasons FErs know that the North Pole is the axis mundi and the South Pole the rim. The other way round and the water would drain from underneath.

I have highlighted a mistake in red for your benefit.
This is not at all a problem, in the south centric model there is still a wall of rock under the ice but nobody has ventured far enough north to encounter it yet. They have only gone as far as the floating sea ice that borders it. Just like how in the north centric model nobody has explored further south than the area where the south polar bases are, even though that model allows them to do that. In both models there is a big unexplored area around the rim. The SCM simply has its wall a little further out, right against the rim.

?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »
I'm not wasting any more time on it.

Skeleton

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
I'm not wasting any more time on it.

I think you just did. I think you just conceded defeat.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »

How about, this cant work because people regularly cross the South Pole? This is harder than it looks.

Not often, and not until after we'd been to space. Your move.

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
"FE" "flat earth" a very archaic term, has many crazy theories,
just very glad there is Mavericks like Master Willmore, James, and Davis to "right" the ship.

Please take the FAQQERS with grain of salt. 

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »

Excellent point, by no one, you obviously mean very few people.  This is also true of a flat earth.  "No one" believes in a flat earth.
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

Skeleton

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 10:29:53 AM »

Are you saying we first went to space before 1929?
The south pole is more often crossed than the north pole because there is a permanently staffed base there and far more people transiting in and out. There is, as far as I know, no base at the north pole. This is entirely consistent with the south pole being located at a single central point and the north pole not being located at a single point. Why, that exact situation is what you find in the SCM, goodness me!

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »

Excellent point, by no one, you obviously mean very few people.  This is also true of a flat earth.  "No one" believes in a flat earth.
Why do you waste so much time on here if you're so sure the earth is round?
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »

Are you saying we first went to space before 1929?
The south pole is more often crossed than the north pole because there is a permanently staffed base there and far more people transiting in and out. There is, as far as I know, no base at the north pole. This is entirely consistent with the south pole being located at a single central point and the north pole not being located at a single point. Why, that exact situation is what you find in the SCM, goodness me!

In 1929, an air force pilot allegedly flew over the South Pole. In 1911, Roald Amundsen claimed to have made it to the South Pole along with Robert Scott, but as the vast majority of the two parties going (including Scott and his entire party) died, this must be taken with a grain of salt. It wasn't until 1956 that a human verifiably  set foot on the South Pole, presumably with Nasa's help.

?

Puttah

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
It's just in my nature to try and correct idiots.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
the simple fact is you cannot tell what map would be the right one.

?

Theodolite

• NASA's Chief Surveyor
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »

Just because you dont understand the value I find in this forum, does not mean that it does not exist.

Maybe its something to do for a chuckle, as I correct minor errors in satellite's flightpaths while processing my survey data.
Gather round my gentle sheep, I have a wonderful spherical story for you

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »
the simple fact is you cannot tell what map would be the right one.

ahh yes also the map would be of no value as the current ones work perfectly well