the reversal of the poles on a flat earth

• 27 Replies
?

britishgent

• Eli, Eli Lama Sabachthani?
« on: September 17, 2006, 03:40:16 AM »
a question popped up in south pole north pole conspiracy...how would the reversal of the poles work on a FE...i see no posible motive or evidence for a conspiracy but am quite interested in how this would work on the flat earth ????
Global warming: Liberal hoax
The earth is not getting warmer after all; the effect is really just the prevalence of air conditioning. It just seems warmer when we go outside.

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:33:15 AM »
These people believe that the earth is flat, they're unlikely to understand the concept of geomagnetic reversal.
t's round, guys. Get over it.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 06:39:54 AM »
Quote from: "The Monkey"
These people believe that the earth is flat, they're unlikely to understand the concept of geomagnetic reversal.

The concept is not difficult, but most FE's would have no reason to believe it ever happened.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 01:15:50 PM »
Yeah, I see no verifiable evidence for pole reversal. It's just them telling us it happened, where's the science?
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »
Magnetic records in rocks apparently.

I'm also interested in how FEers explain magnetic variation. Does that mean the centre of the earth is changing position?

?

britishgent

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 02:04:53 PM »
bit of a cop out reli try a non-!!CONSPIRACY!! explanation
The earth is not getting warmer after all; the effect is really just the prevalence of air conditioning. It just seems warmer when we go outside.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 02:06:08 PM »
it is accualy a very good point.
quote="DiegoDraw"]"And Moses said unto his brethren: 'The Earth is flat!...biznatches,'" [/quote]
DOT INFO

?

britishgent

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 02:12:53 PM »
sorry wot is the good point??

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 02:15:41 PM »
reverse polls
quote="DiegoDraw"]"And Moses said unto his brethren: 'The Earth is flat!...biznatches,'" [/quote]
DOT INFO

?

britishgent

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »
i just dnt c how it can fit in2 the FE pole theory i am a FE believer just hopin 4 sum sort of theory/explanation

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 05:32:35 PM »
variation, anyone?

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 09:59:38 PM »
1) The scientists who claimed to have observed the geomagnetic fossils in sediment at the bottom of the ocean are part of the conspiracy, and lying.

2) The conspiracy planted those fossils in order to facilitate the flipping-magnetosphere hypothesis, and the scientists were duped.

Either way, I don't see anything about the pole reversal theory that threatens the FE model. Scientists think it happens every few thousand years, so unless I see it in my lifetime, I'm not going to worry about it.

Anyways, what is the RE explanation for this phenomenon, assuming it actually has happened?

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 03:44:15 AM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"
Yeah, I see no verifiable evidence for pole reversal. It's just them telling us it happened, where's the science?

oh for fucks sake. heard of magnetic stripes at subduction zones? paleomagnatism?

then again, why am i trying to explain this to a flat-earther?
tf?

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 03:45:18 AM »
Quote from: "Ezkerraldean"

oh for fucks sake. heard of magnetic stripes at subduction zones? paleomagnatism?

True, most are just ignorant to the fact of reason.
 am the center of the universe

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 03:52:21 AM »
The Earth's north magnetic pole is drifting away from North America so fast that it could end up in Siberia within 50 years, scientists have said. The shift could mean that Alaska will lose its northern lights, or auroras, which might then be more visible in areas of Siberia and Europe. The magnetic poles are different from geographic poles, the surface points marking the axis of Earth's rotation. Magnetic poles are known to migrate and, occasionally, swap places. "This may be part of a normal oscillation and it will eventually migrate back toward Canada," Joseph Stoner, a palaeomagnetist at Oregon State University, told a meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in San Francisco. Wandering poles Previous studies have shown that the strength of the Earth's magnetic shield has decreased 10% over the past 150 years. During the same period, the north magnetic pole wandered about 1,100km (685 miles) into the Arctic, according to the new analysis. The rate of the magnetic pole's movement has increased in the last century compared with fairly steady movement in the previous four centuries, the Oregon researchers said. The Oregon team examined the sediment record from several Arctic lakes. Since the sediments record the Earth's magnetic field at the time, scientists used carbon dating to track changes in the magnetic field. They found that the north magnetic field shifted significantly in the last thousand years. It generally migrated between northern Canada and Siberia, but has occasionally moved in other directions. Rate of change At the present rate, the north magnetic pole could swing out of northern Canada into Siberia. If that happens, Alaska could lose its northern lights, or auroras, which occur when charged particles streaming away from the Sun collide with gases in the ionosphere, causing them to glow. The north magnetic pole was first discovered in 1831 and when it was revisited in 1904, explorers found it had moved by 50km (31 miles). For centuries, navigators using compasses had to learn to deal with the difference between magnetic and geographic north. A compass needle points to the north magnetic pole, not the geographic North Pole.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 03:53:58 AM »
The Earth's north magnetic pole is drifting away from North America so fast that it could end up in Siberia within 50 years, scientists have said.

What does this mean, what will happen. Am i going to have to buy a new compass?
 am the center of the universe

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 04:40:17 AM »

Why are you trying to explain this to a flat-earther? If this forum has proven anything, it's that the average flat-earther knows a lot more about the RE model than the average RE'er.

Specifically, I've already addressed paleomagnetism.

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 04:49:53 AM »
Nope, but you may have to buy a new map. Seafarers have special charts which are oriented north-south, but have a "compass rose" on them, which shows the direction of magnetic north in year X, with a little note saying "varation increasing 9' anually", so if the chart says the variation (Angle between true and magnetic north) in 2000 was 5 degrees, increasing 10' anually, the variation now will be 6 degrees.

And I still haven't been given an explanatin of this by a FEer. And don't say it's part of the conspiracy. Try navigating with a 50 year old chart without applying the change in variation and see where you end up!!

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 05:04:01 AM »
Quote from: "Luke_smith64"
The Earth's north magnetic pole is drifting away from North America so fast that it could end up in Siberia within 50 years, scientists have said.

What does this mean, what will happen. Am i going to have to buy a new compass?
no, it drifts all the time.
tf?

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 05:05:22 AM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"

Why are you trying to explain this to a flat-earther? If this forum has proven anything, it's that the average flat-earther knows a lot more about the RE model than the average RE'er.

well, what dogplatter said goes against that doesnt it?

i havent seen any FEer show any knowledge of geology. i love their seismic wave diagram! and then of course there is my planetary geology, and my own work on Huygens which requires round earth, gravity, heliocentricism otherwise we wouldn't have got the darn thing to Titan. but they just cry Conspiracy. they know fuck all.
tf?

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 06:23:25 AM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"

well, what dogplatter said goes against that doesnt it?

No, not really. He said he has seen no verifiable evidence of pole reversal, and I went on to give a couple reasons why paleomagnetism isn't valid evidence. Seems like we're on the same page.

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 06:45:15 AM »
The Earth's north magnetic pole is drifting away from North America so fast that it could end up in Siberia within 50 years, scientists have said. The shift could mean that Alaska will lose its northern lights, or auroras, which might then be more visible in areas of Siberia and Europe. The magnetic poles are different from geographic poles, the surface points marking the axis of Earth's rotation. Magnetic poles are known to migrate and, occasionally, swap places. "This may be part of a normal oscillation and it will eventually migrate back toward Canada," Joseph Stoner, a palaeomagnetist at Oregon State University, told a meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in San Francisco. Wandering poles Previous studies have shown that the strength of the Earth's magnetic shield has decreased 10% over the past 150 years. During the same period, the north magnetic pole wandered about 1,100km (685 miles) into the Arctic, according to the new analysis. The rate of the magnetic pole's movement has increased in the last century compared with fairly steady movement in the previous four centuries, the Oregon researchers said. The Oregon team examined the sediment record from several Arctic lakes. Since the sediments record the Earth's magnetic field at the time, scientists used carbon dating to track changes in the magnetic field. They found that the north magnetic field shifted significantly in the last thousand years. It generally migrated between northern Canada and Siberia, but has occasionally moved in other directions. Rate of change At the present rate, the north magnetic pole could swing out of northern Canada into Siberia. If that happens, Alaska could lose its northern lights, or auroras, which occur when charged particles streaming away from the Sun collide with gases in the ionosphere, causing them to glow. The north magnetic pole was first discovered in 1831 and when it was revisited in 1904, explorers found it had moved by 50km (31 miles). For centuries, navigators using compasses had to learn to deal with the difference between magnetic and geographic north. A compass needle points to the north magnetic pole, not the geographic North Pole.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

?

britishgent

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 03:57:41 PM »
there is a lot of evidence for the pole shifts, no conspiracy and still no answer???????

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 01:24:20 AM »
Some websites that may help FE believers understand how and why they are wrong

Geomagnetic Reversal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_polarity_reversal

http://geophysics.suite101.com/article.cfm/geomagnetic_reversal

concise.britannica.com/ebc/article-9365439/geomagnetic-reversal

Paleomagnetism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleomagnetism

www.bartleby.com/65/pa/paleomag.html

geography.lancs.ac.uk/cemp/resources/software.htm

I'm sorry but geomagnetic reversal and polar drift do exist and are very real. There is evidence here on Earth. FE theory also fails to explain the magnetic field lines themselves as I stated here...

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1361&start=75

Sorry FE theory...but you have some serious explaining to do
...population who believe in globularism solely on the basis of having been told so?

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 05:16:25 AM »

Want evidence? Sure, easiest thing we ever did.

Go find a nice steady, open piece of land away from metal objects.

Get yourself the strongest, oh, 6 inch or so bar magnet you can.
Find a 4 foot wooden dowel, screws, mounting hardware and etc...
Find or make a 4.5 to 5 foot wide round circular (bowl? dish? water holding device?) that's at least 6 inches deep, and make a cover for the top out of plexiglass to keep the wind out.
And last but not least, a sharpie marker or other marking device that can last years.
Cut, file, or whatever you wanna do to one end of the dowel to make it come down to a nice point that you'll be able to mark on another surface.
mount the magnet to the middle of the wooden dowel, carefully, as to find a place where the dowel will float evenly in water. Try to have magnetic north face the point you made on the dowel.

Add water to 5 foot (bowl? dish) or whatever it was you made to hold all this.

Place dowel in, make sure it floats level in the water. Securely attach the cover, then let the whole thing sit for a few hours so that the magnet can turn the wood like a compass.

After your sure the dowel is pointing at magnetic north. (Check with another compass if you like), take your marking device and mark on the plexiglass cover the spot/direction your homemade compass is pointing. If necessary, also mark the cover's attachments so that you can place the cover on the exact same way later.

Drain water, protect the whole mess from the elements and leave it alone for 5-8 years.

In 5 to 8 years, fill it back up and let it point at magnetic north again. Since scientists are saying that right now the poles are drifting at a rather fast rate, the compass should point in a (however slight) different direction.

There, you've got proof in as little as 5 years. :p

?

frauntoz

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »
Quote from: "Quarrior"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_polarity_reversal
http://geophysics.suite101.com/article.cfm/geomagnetic_reversal
http://concise.britannica.com/ebc/article-9365439/geomagnetic-reversal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleomagnetism
www.bartleby.com/65/pa/paleomag.html
http://geography.lancs.ac.uk/cemp/resources/software.htm
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1361&start=75

Hey Quarrior,

I am new to this and a RE'er... I must say brother that you do not provide very valid arguments, you just flood the forum with links.  Take a look at what others are writing, valid arguments that cite sources... You, just cite sources and they are extremely repetitive at that.

I notice you are VERY quick to argue, almost instantaneously when any reply comes your way, so just stay calm.  I'm sure that in your professional (?) life, you've learned of what constructive criticism is.  This is your new chance to take it like a man.  I'm sure you will let us know how you take it.

As a RE'er, it appears that I see a lack of evidence of why the Earth is round at times.  I've followed Quarrior's entourage (the links that follow him everywhere) but even on Wikipedia's pages they really are just statements "This is the way it is" type of stuff...  Certainly an interesting discussion.  Therefore I see merit in FE'ers efforts as why should they prove the Earth is flat any more than the RE'ers should prove their own theories?

Isn't anyone suspicious as to why so many RE'ers statements can be shot down so quickly?  Even if it's not all the statements, but just some, that's still worrying.  If it's rock solid truth that the Earth is round then nothing should be able to be disproved or seriously questioned.  Just seems that the answer may not be so clear.

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 10:04:52 AM »
Quote from: "MooBs"
When a full Moon occurs in the plane of Earth's orbit, the Moon slowly moves through Earth's shadow. Every time that shadow is seen, its edge is round. The only solid that always projects a round shadow is a sphere.

Explain Tom I love you so.

EDIT: According to

how would the Earth block the sun? :|

Quote from: "frauntoz"
Isn't anyone suspicious as to why so many RE'ers statements can be shot down so quickly?  Even if it's not all the statements, but just some, that's still worrying.  If it's rock solid truth that the Earth is round then nothing should be able to be disproved or seriously questioned.  Just seems that the answer may not be so clear.

Its because they give 1 liners and just say "NASA CONSPIRACY!!". Then ignore all the posts that make the FE theory wrong.
In FE Literature there are three celestial bodies that inhabit the sky. The Sun. The Moon. And the Shadow Object.
You have performed an illegal operation. Tom Bishop will now shut down, you will lose all unsaved arguments.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 10:58:06 AM »
When a full Moon occurs in the plane of Earth's orbit, the Moon slowly moves through Earth's shadow. Every time that shadow is seen, its edge is round. The only solid that always projects a round shadow is a sphere.

Explain Tom I love you so.

EDIT: According to

how would the Earth block the sun? :|

Quote from: "frauntoz"

Its because they give 1 liners and just say "NASA CONSPIRACY!!". Then ignore all the posts that make the FE theory wrong.

If you'd conduct the experiminents you would know.
I can't explain them though, because I'm not a scientisht.
 once saw a video of a monkey washing a cat, that's CRAZY!!
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
In FE Literature there are three celestial bodies that inhabit the sky. The Sun. The Moon. And the Shadow Object.