Flattened Poles

• 76 Replies
?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
Re: Flattened Poles
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »
Every day, the earth looks flatter and flatter.

Mizuki x
Just so I got this straight... Every picture that you have seen has shown a round earth without sufficient flattening (in your opinion), and this makes the earth look flat to you?
By eliminating all present contradicting possibilities you would arrive at the present truth. It's impossible to arrive at a future truth.

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
As I said, find a picture of the earth that is big enough that one pixel equals 1 kilometer, and is high-def enough that the edge can be defined down to a single pixel, and was taken from an orbit exactly in line with the equator.  Now zoom in and measure the pixels from north to south and east to west, because if you just look at the complete picture, it will still look perfectly round.

If you have an image editor program, creat a new image that measures 13000x13000 pixels, use the circle tool to create a circle 12756 across, resize the image leaving the width the same but scrunching it down by 44 pixels.  Observe circle.

WOW! It still looks perfectly round.  So no, you're not going to find a photo of the earth that shows a noticeable 'flattening' of the poles.
Convenient. "It's there. It really is. By coincidence, there's no way you could ever see it, but it reaaaaaaally is there!"
Just like the sub-moon, anti-moon, the edge of the flat earth and the people who guard it (or infinite plain, depending on your preference), moonshrimp, dark energy field, non-euclidean folded-space earth, the 1:1 scale map re-sizing issue, and probably some others.

Anyway, whether you believe in the round earth pole/equator diameter difference or not, I'm just explaining why a difference that small in a picture of a circle that big won't be noticeable just by looking at it.

*edited to remove 'harmful moonlight' from list, as some people here have convinced themselves so thoroughly that it's harmful, that it might really be (for them anyhow).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:31:45 PM by 29silhouette »

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
As I said, find a picture of the earth that is big enough that one pixel equals 1 kilometer, and is high-def enough that the edge can be defined down to a single pixel, and was taken from an orbit exactly in line with the equator.  Now zoom in and measure the pixels from north to south and east to west, because if you just look at the complete picture, it will still look perfectly round.

If you have an image editor program, creat a new image that measures 13000x13000 pixels, use the circle tool to create a circle 12756 across, resize the image leaving the width the same but scrunching it down by 44 pixels.  Observe circle.

WOW! It still looks perfectly round.  So no, you're not going to find a photo of the earth that shows a noticeable 'flattening' of the poles.
Convenient. "It's there. It really is. By coincidence, there's no way you could ever see it, but it reaaaaaaally is there!"

Like Bendy Light?

Berny
29silhouette forgot that one in his list
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »

Mizuki x
Just so I got this straight... Every picture that you have seen has shown a round earth without sufficient flattening (in your opinion), and this makes the earth look flat to you?

Hi Problem.

No, i'm afraid that you haven't got this straight. You have, unfortunately, come to the wrong conclusion.

Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »

Mizuki x

Hi Problem.

No, i'm afraid that you haven't got this straight. You have, unfortunately, come to the wrong conclusion.

Mizuki x

Please explain where I have gone wrong.
By eliminating all present contradicting possibilities you would arrive at the present truth. It's impossible to arrive at a future truth.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »

Mizuki x

Hi Problem.

Mizuki x

Please explain where I have gone wrong.

Ok.

When i started to look for some good evidence of the world being a globe, i thought this would be an easy task. These days, apparently, we have rockets that can propel men (and women) into space, and satellites. I thought that surely NASA would have footage of the earth rotating that proves it's a globe. I was genuinely surprised when i found that i couldn't find any. Please believe me, i am being 100% sincere about this.

Then i remembered being taught in school about the flattened poles. I could find no footage of that either.

So maybe both these generally accepted 'facts' are both falacies. Which caused me to make the metaphorical comment 'every day, the world looks flatter and flatter.'

Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

?

Part of the Problem

• The Liberal
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »

When i started to look for some good evidence of the world being a globe, i thought this would be an easy task. These days, apparently, we have rockets that can propel men (and women) into space, and satellites. I thought that surely NASA would have footage of the earth rotating that proves it's a globe. I was genuinely surprised when i found that i couldn't find any. Please believe me, i am being 100% sincere about this.

Mizuki x

RET doesn't claim that the flattening is noticeable.  I don't see how looking at a picture or film and not noticing the flattening is a black eye to the theory.  Also, I'm not questioning your sincerity.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

How does this not look like a rotating globe, Mizuki? ???
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Like Bendy Light?

Berny
29silhouette forgot that one in his list
Guess I should have put that in there too. 

Jeff
Wondered if the 'squashed looking setting moon when seen from high altitude' or the 'slightly magnified setting sun when seen through a dusty atmosphere' counted though.

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
Ok.

Then i remembered being taught in school about the flattened poles. I could find no footage of that either.

So maybe both these generally accepted 'facts' are both falacies. Which caused me to make the metaphorical comment 'every day, the world looks flatter and flatter.'

Mizuki x

I've seen videos of the earth taken from orbiting spacecraft (just the area below and forward of the craft).  Had a channel when I was in Germany that showed that alot with some music added.  Found some time-lapse footage of the whole thing rotating on youtube just now.

A video of it rotating played back in real-time would be kind of boring.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »

Hi Around And About.

You come across as one of the more reasonable and tolerant members of the forum that are pro-round earth, so i hate to say it, but there really is nothing globe shaped in that video.

The search continues.

Mizuki x

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

Hi Around And About.

You come across as one of the more reasonable and tolerant members of the forum that are pro-round earth, so i hate to say it, but there really is nothing globe shaped in that video.

The search continues.

Mizuki x

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">
Quote from: Tom Bishop
If you don't know, whenever you talk about it you're invoking the supernatural
Unknown != Magic.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »

Hi Around And About.

The search continues.

Mizuki x

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

Thank you Harutsedo, that is the best one i have seen.

I didn't find that one when i was looking. Many of the ones i viewed looked fake somehow, and indeed many of the comments that people had left via their Youtube accounts expressed that very same thought. Your video is obviously genuine footage taken from a satellite or suchlike. However, because the footage is only showing a portion of the earth at any one time, i'm sure that a flat earth believer would say that this is merely footage of different regions of the flat earth.

Mizuki x

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
According to that video (since you trust it), you must believe that Africa extends to the edge of the Earth. Is this correct?
Unknown != Magic.

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
According to that video (since you trust it), you must believe that Africa extends to the edge of the Earth. Is this correct?

For all i know, it very well might do.

I understand that there has been well-documented controversy surrounding the different cartographic projections of the world map.

Mizuki x

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »

I understand that there has been well-documented controversy surrounding the different cartographic projections of the world map.

Mizuki x

Controversy surrounding projections. Not the relative arrangement of entire continents. There is no used projection that places Africa at the edge of the Earth. Not even FET agrees with that. And I think Africans falling off the edge off the Earth would have made the news by now. It would also place Africa at the south pole. Africa has a giant desert in the south pole, you say?
Unknown != Magic.

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »

Mizuki x
It also shows Florida with the edge beyond it, probably around Texas, which would put me well beyond the edge.

It's cold out here.

But, seriously... " target="_blank" class="new_win">http://