WTF is Bitcoin?

• 87 Replies

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
Re: WTF is Bitcoin?
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
Wait - how can money be backed by a gold standard if the amount of gold that has ever been mined in the world is less than the value of U.S. currency that is circulating?

Berny
Also what JD posted
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 06:01:12 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Reserve_Act
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_Shock
Irrelevant.
How exactly is that irrelevant?  I thought the current topic of discussion of the gold standard and more broadly currency backed up by a standard.  I assume that three articles on various historical laws concerning the gold standard in the US to be relevant.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

parsec

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
If you can't bring these to a store and get food with them, what's the point? Nobody takes them at this point.
People believe in it.

A bitcoin is worth whatever people believe they are worth. Just like the US Dollar or Euro.

Johannes is terrible.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 10:49:04 PM »
Johannes is terrible.

Just terrible.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:33 AM »
How exactly is that irrelevant?  I thought the current topic of discussion of the gold standard and more broadly currency backed up by a standard.  I assume that three articles on various historical laws concerning the gold standard in the US to be relevant.
And in that you were wrong. The banknotes come with a warrant signed by whatever important guy in the US signs them (aka has their signature printed on them). The law is entirely irrelevant in that matter. For an adequate comparison, the US Constitution is entirely irrelevant as long as intelligence agencies are concerned. There's no real reason for it. It just happens.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:13 AM »
Wait - how can money be backed by a gold standard if the amount of gold that has ever been mined in the world is less than the value of U.S. currency that is circulating?
Goods, coinage
rif

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:50 AM »
And in that you were wrong. The banknotes come with a warrant signed by whatever important guy in the US signs them (aka has their signature printed on them). The law is entirely irrelevant in that matter. For an adequate comparison, the US Constitution is entirely irrelevant as long as intelligence agencies are concerned. There's no real reason for it. It just happens.
Yeah, the law is entirely irrelevant in matters of law which explicitly talk about the matter at hand.  ::)  Warrants and executing warrants have nothing at all to do with current law on the matter.  US Federal Reserve Notes are not Demand Notes anymore.  You can not exchange them for anything other than money and are backed by only the "full faith and credit of the U.S. government".

The picture you cited of a 10,000 Federal Reserve Demand Bank Note is outdated and no longer valid.  Show me some current tender which states it can be exchanged upon demand and you may have an argument.  However, instead you will find nonsurprisingly that US tender holds the mark "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" an explicit change away from demand notes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:22:19 AM by John Davis »
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 07:35:42 AM »
Can I ask why the libertarians want to bring back the gold standard if we are still on the gold standard?

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
Dammit. One of the few things i know about. :(

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »
Dammit. One of the few things i know about. :(

Then hop on in danners. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to economics.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
Can I ask why the libertarians want to bring back the gold standard if we are still on the gold standard?
Yes. I'm sure the libertarians will be happy to answer your question.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »

That depends on which "we" you are referring to.  Some countries may still be on the gold standard.  The US, however, isn't one of them.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
The US hasn't been on gold standard for a long time.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »

Having behind us the producing masses of this nation and the world, supported by the commercial interests, the laboring interests and the toilers everywhere, we will answer their demand for a gold standard by saying to them: You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns, you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold.

Let us all remember poor William Jenning Bryan before he popped his suspenders at The Monkey Trial.

parsec

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 04:35:54 AM »
The Wizard of Oz.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »

That depends on which "we" you are referring to.  Some countries may still be on the gold standard.  The US, however, isn't one of them.

I'm referring to the "united states we."

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »

The Unite States ditched the gold standard in 1933. The American dollar is based on faith.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 09:30:28 AM »

The Unite States ditched the gold standard in 1933. The American dollar is based on faith.

Yup....

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 09:32:50 AM »
Good to know the same thing driving people to believe in an invisible being that controls everything is the same thing driving our money.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 09:35:39 AM »
Good to know the same thing driving people to believe in an invisible being that controls everything is the same thing driving our money.

Yup, greed controls both.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »
Yes. I'm sure the libertarians will be happy to answer your question.
Ok. The answer is we are not on the gold standard.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
I'm not sure why whether or not the US is on "the gold standard" has become part of this conversation, really.

parsec

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »
I'm not sure why whether or not the US is on "the gold standard" has become part of this conversation, really.

Unless your country is still on the gold standard that is just a promise to pay whatever the money is worth.
I'm not sure which country you refer to as "mine". However, I'll have you know most countries are "still on the gold standard". In most countries (n.b. US included), bank note is merely a confirmation of rights to claim your money.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Um, and? Did you miss a full stop between two sentences there? Perhaps you had thought it to be a semicolon?

parsec

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
Um, and? Did you miss a full stop between two sentences there? Perhaps you had thought it to be a semicolon?

The point is you thought U.S. still operated under a gold standard and now you're trying to save your ass by being a bitch.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 05:39:48 PM »
False.

parsec

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:48:40 PM by parsec »

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
The Wizard of Oz.

I didn't know. Funny dat.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »

The point is you thought U.S. still operated under a gold standard and now you're trying to save your ass by being a bitch.
False.

Oh really?

What will the bank pay you in? Other pieces of paper?
Goods, coinage, or the legal tender of your country (in case of the US, gold).

In this quote you state that gold is the legal tender of the US. It is not.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:16:18 PM by EnglshGentleman »