Androids will end humanity!

• 18 Replies

Lorddave

Androids will end humanity!
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
I am currently watching the anime Chobits. (shush.  It's rare that I watch the stuff these days and netfix had the whole series.)

And it got me thinking: If we built androids to act as our personal computers our society would crumble.  Creating your perfect mate would be simply a matter of programming.  Even if it's only a basic range of emotions and responses, it could very easily lead to people choosing machines over real people.  This would cause population growth to cease and our civilization would eventually fade away.

Thoughts?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Re: Androids will end humanity!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
So what?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
This is fallacious. For one thing, robots cannot produce human offspring, which (for some reason) many people desire. For another, I suspect such technology will be caught in the Uncanny Valley for quite a while.

Lorddave

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:01:51 PM »
This is fallacious. For one thing, robots cannot produce human offspring, which (for some reason) many people desire.
True.  I hadn't thought about that. 

For another, I suspect such technology will be caught in the Uncanny Valley for quite a while.
Oh undoubtedly.  But what happens when it's not?

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »
It would only have a significant impact on Japan's population, anyway, and they need to free up some parking spaces.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:04:44 PM »
This is fallacious. For one thing, robots cannot produce human offspring, which (for some reason) many people desire. For another, I suspect such technology will be caught in the Uncanny Valley for quite a while.

People are programmed, so to speak, to desire children in order to preserve the species. Do you think that without some sort of evolutionary imperative guiding people's thoughts anybody would want to create one of those disgusting little things? Anyway, if all humans eventually pass away blissfully and the race becomes extinct, who's going to be bothered?

Lorddave

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »

People are programmed, so to speak, to desire children in order to preserve the species. Do you think that without some sort of evolutionary imperative guiding people's thoughts anybody would want to create one of those disgusting little things? Anyway, if all humans eventually pass away blissfully and the race becomes extinct, who's going to be bothered?

Alien Anthropologists.  Having to sift through all our trash to figure out how we lived is going to be a pain in the ass job.  Plus they'll likely get it wrong anyway.

?

Ryan Onessence

• All and neither; make of it what you will
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
I am currently watching the anime Chobits. (shush.  It's rare that I watch the stuff these days and netfix had the whole series.)

And it got me thinking: If we built androids to act as our personal computers our society would crumble.  Creating your perfect mate would be simply a matter of programming.  Even if it's only a basic range of emotions and responses, it could very easily lead to people choosing machines over real people.  This would cause population growth to cease and our civilization would eventually fade away.

Thoughts?

Not that it can be proven to easily but emotions are more than just programmable responses...they originate in the soul, robots don't have souls. yes I know even that's debatable from an expanded perspective, but, they wouldn't be natural original souls experiencing organic feelings which can be psychically shared in the highest states of ecstatic sexual bliss i.e. karma sutra, that cannot be recreated in an inorganic being...Maybe in a virtual matrix where the two ideal souls are creating the illusion of organic reality but that's another kettle of fish altogether
http://soundcloud.com/orin-zolis/sets/world-music-ethnic-beats/

Knowledge gained via academic means and intelligence are not mutually inclusive. Those who assume authority and superiority over conventionally uneducated persons would be wiser to keep this in mind.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »

Thoughts?

Not that it can be proven to easily but emotions are more than just programmable responses...they originate in the soul, robots don't have souls. yes I know even that's debatable from an expanded perspective, but, they wouldn't be natural original souls experiencing organic feelings which can be psychically shared in the highest states of ecstatic sexual bliss i.e. karma sutra, that cannot be recreated in an inorganic being...Maybe in a virtual matrix where the two ideal souls are creating the illusion of organic reality but that's another kettle of fish altogether

Where do souls come from? Why do we get souls and androids don't? Where is the line drawn? Do all living things have souls, or only certain higher life forms, and why does the soul differentiate the two if so? Did we always have souls, or are the only acquired at some point in evolutionary history?

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »

Thoughts?

Uh, given enough technology we could very easily emulate the emotions of Humans. Does that mean a sufficiently advanced android now has a Soul?

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:51:15 AM »

Thoughts?

Uh, given enough technology we could very easily emulate the emotions of Humans. Does that mean a sufficiently advanced android now has a Soul?

Is there a difference between perfect emulation and the real thing, or are we as programmed as our android counterparts?

rooster

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »
Data has a soul.  :(

Trekky0623

• Official Member

?

Ryan Onessence

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Im talking about the spiritual side of sex...thats why I said it isn't proven to easily, but those who know, know it does exist i.e. becomeing one with your partner total resonance with their EMF/auric field, the emotions that they feel intertwined with your own  can't be emulateted, because that is a response that is evoked from free will...if a robot is programmed they don't have free will and you cant fool an individual that has experienced even the slightest karma sutra sensations...it can occur even with just a hug.

I feel that souls emanate from the "Magic window" frequency band, (yes its an official term in neuro-electrical consciousness studies)
this band exists beyond matter/energy as we know it, above gamma and epsilon waves.

Knowledge gained via academic means and intelligence are not mutually inclusive. Those who assume authority and superiority over conventionally uneducated persons would be wiser to keep this in mind.

Lorddave

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
Im talking about the spiritual side of sex...thats why I said it isn't proven to easily, but those who know, know it does exist i.e. becomeing one with your partner total resonance with their EMF/auric field, the emotions that they feel intertwined with your own  can't be emulateted, because that is a response that is evoked from free will...if a robot is programmed they don't have free will and you cant fool an individual that has experienced even the slightest karma sutra sensations...it can occur even with just a hug.

I feel that souls emanate from the "Magic window" frequency band, (yes its an official term in neuro-electrical consciousness studies)
this band exists beyond matter/energy as we know it, above gamma and epsilon waves.

False!
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_cambio06b.htm#magicwin

Also:
That guy would fit in perfectly here:

http://www.cheniere.org/techpapers/Final%20Secret%20of%2015%20Feb%201994/index.html#OU%20CIRCUIT

Vindictus

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 04:02:49 PM »

Thoughts?

Is there a difference between perfect emulation and the real thing, or are we as programmed as our android counterparts?

That's what I was trying to get at.

?

Ryan Onessence

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »

Thoughts?

That's what I was trying to get at.

The free will bit was what I was getting at. An android is programmed to respond... a human always chooses their response. Over time we can seem to be programmed, as in engrained with responses that become automatic, but it all starts somewhere as a choice or the product of a choice. If the android is programmed from the neurological level up so that it experiences and can then feel the emotions that it is displaying then yes it has a soul, and then it has free will...which means it will not be a machine someone can own and dictate to how it should feel.

Vindictus

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
The free will bit was what I was getting at. An android is programmed to respond... a human always chooses their response. Over time we can seem to be programmed, as in engrained with responses that become automatic, but it all starts somewhere as a choice or the product of a choice. If the android is programmed from the neurological level up so that it experiences and can then feel the emotions that it is displaying then yes it has a soul, and then it has free will...which means it will not be a machine someone can own and dictate to how it should feel.

Seems to be purely semantics.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.