Inconsistencies with the FE Sun

• 13 Replies

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
Inconsistencies with the FE Sun
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
According to some/all of the FE maps that have been presented, sunset/sunrise times confirm that exactly half of the Flat Earth must be illuminated at the equinoxes.  That said, any current Sun models are therefore incorrect (or seriously need a revamp), as an explanation needs to be presented as to how a spherical/"spotlight" Sun could illuminate a semi-circle on the Earth.

Also, this debunks the theory regarding the spotlight effect in high-altitutude photographs (that there seems to be a horizon in these photos only because what is seen is a small area of the Earth lit up by the spotlight Sun).

FE'ers may want to get some facts straight.

Re: Inconsistencies with the FE Sun
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
its because the sun is not a spotlight.
ignore Toms FAQ. it is just his opinion,
i suggest a comitte of believers and non belivers rewrite the FAQ.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »

FE'ers may want to get some facts straight.

Please refrain from low content posting in the discussion forums.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

vhu9644

• Round earth supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
another problem is the minimum viewing angle for the sun, which is (as i read) 7 degrees, yet the sun "sets"
people i respect: Ski, Oracle, PizzaPlanet, Wendy

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »
REAL EARTH VICTORY

This is what happens when I lurk moar. :)
This isn't my signature. I just write this at the end of every post.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »
REAL EARTH VICTORY

Since when are you a FEer?
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
REAL EARTH VICTORY

Icwatudidthar. Also, iwanttobelieve, if Tom is so wrong and you obviously have the answer, why not share it with us?
This isn't my signature. I just write this at the end of every post.

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »
REAL EARTH VICTORY

Icwatudidthar. Also, iwanttobelieve, if Tom is so wrong and you obviously have the answer, why not share it with us?

It's best to just let iwanttobelieve post every once in awhile, just don't enourage him... [nudge]

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »
So, the explanation in the FAQ for how the sun rises and sets reads the following:

A: It is a perspective effect. The sun is just getting farther away: it looks like it is disappearing because everything gets smaller, and eventually disappears as it gets farther away.

If I am deducing correctly this is saying that the FE theory believes the sun moves in a linear path parallel to the flat earth surface and that it never goes below the flat plane of the earth.  Is that correct? It merely appears to vanish on the horizon because of it moving further away towards the vanishing point?

Here's a simple animation I made demonstrating what it would look like if it actually worked that way.
files.me.com/pgreenstone/zc9hrq.mov

n the animation the ground plane is a perfectly flat disk that extends far out (perceptually about as far as an infinite plane would.  The camera is just above the ground at the very center and facing perfectly level to the ground.  The Sun is represented by a luminous sphere roughly the scale and distance above the ground (3,000'-ish) as FE theory describes.  It starts directly above the center and moves at a constant speed away from the center (camera's POV), parallel to the flat earth until it is a tiny pin prick in the distance.

For those who somehow couldn't already picture this scenario in their minds before believing this theory that the sun sets this in this manner... this animation (primitive as it may be) clearly demonstrates how that would result in a sunset/rise completely unlike anything that happens here on earth.  In order for the sun to even get far enough away to come close to vanishing on the horizon due to perspective (in the course of a day) it would have to be moving so fast past us that noon would practically flash past us while the twilight would linger on most of the day...  And the friggin' sun would never set; it would just shrink in the distance, unlike anything anyone has ever seen on earth.

(EDITED: I read more of the FAQ)
I just saw further down in the FAC a diagram showing the FE movement of the sun.  So it moves in a circle above and parallel the the flat earth...  If it's even possible, that makes even LESS sense and it even contradicts the FAC description above!  In that model the sun would not even come close to moving far enough away to just vanish out of site on the horizon!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:42:57 PM by Round_Pancake »

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
Welcome to the site.  You have been reading through available resources, as recommended.  It will help you understand more about FET.  Here is a link that will help you sort out the specific issue you addressed regarding the sun.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za27.htm

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
Welcome to the site.  You have been reading through available resources, as recommended.  It will help you understand more about FET.  Here is a link that will help you sort out the specific issue you addressed regarding the sun.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za27.htm

Thanks for the welcome.

So, the info in your link describes the same thing I was demonstrating from this site's FAQ.  When have you or anyone on earth ever seen the sun move in such a manner?  When has the sun ever been seen shrinking (visually by perspective) as it moves away from the viewer and towards the horizon?  Never!

Even if you want to go with an earth-centric universe you'd still have to account for the plainly visible fact that the sun is the same size in the sky at noon as it is when it dips to the horizon, and you can plainly see it sinking below the horizon rather that shrinking to a vanishing point at or near the horizon. At least say the sun is orbiting the flat earth.  That would at least represent something that would look roughly like what can be seen every clear day of the year right out your front door.

My animation clearly demonstrates what the "shrinking perspective" FE sunset would look like, and it clearly looks nothing like the reality of the sun's or the moon's movement.  It really shouldn't require such a demonstration to be painfully obvious but I like to be clear.

All that said I believe the Flat Earth Society may be the most brilliant exercise in irony I have ever come across.  Anything else seems as unlikely to me as a flat earth.  I'm optimistic.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
It is great to hear that you come to the site with an open mind.  The FET concepts will make more sense to you as you continue your studies.  This link will give you more background about the sun that you may be lacking.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Sun

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
It is great to hear that you come to the site with an open mind.  The FET concepts will make more sense to you as you continue your studies.  This link will give you more background about the sun that you may be lacking.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=The+Sun

Well, the whole FET sunset/sunrise concept just immediately falls flat on its face with the most casual of direct observations.  No complex mathematics or extensive research required.  The descriptions in the FAQ and the other link clearly lay out a remarkably false case that easily can be debunked without even getting into the expansive array of complex scientific evidence disproving it.  Just go outside and look.  That'll give anyone enough information about the sun to know it doesn't shrink away off in the distance like an airplane or a bus driving away down a long desert highway.

I think I'm done here.  Thanks.

Anyway, the end of the world is this Saturday.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 04:30:17 PM »
You have arrived at a good place to pause and reconsider your decision to leave.  It is looking around you that will lead you to the reality of FET. 

You, like many others before you, have spent their life studying the world of RET and have landed where you are now.  Take a good look out as far as you can see, take more of a look around the site, and you may just surprise yourself with which side you align yourself with.