What is the origin of the flat Earth?

• 64 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
Re: What is the origin of the flat Earth?
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
Ah, I thought you were suggesting that as the camera obscura had been around since the tenth century, it substantiated his point about photo-realistic paintings not existing until after the invention of photography. Sorry for the confusion!
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that these paintings could possibly be mistaken for anything but paintings? 

In the last decade or so, probably not, but at the time they were painted and for many decades afterwards they were far more 'realistic' than contemporary photographs, and for a significant period after that I would say they were at least on a par. I personally think that Waterhouse's The Lady of Shalott looks a lot more like a stylised photograph than it does a painting.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »
I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that these paintings could possibly be mistaken for anything but paintings? 

In the last decade or so, probably not, but at the time they were painted and for many decades afterwards they were far more 'realistic' than contemporary photographs, and for a significant period after that I would say they were at least on a par. I personally think that Waterhouse's The Lady of Shalott looks a lot more like a stylised photograph than it does a painting.

Granted, that is a beautiful painting, but remember that it measures 153 cm ? 200 cm (60 in ? 79 in).  You would be surprised at how much different the full sized original looks compared to a rather smallish reproduction.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2011, 06:57:19 AM »

Granted, that is a beautiful painting, but remember that it measures 153 cm ? 200 cm (60 in ? 79 in).  You would be surprised at how much different the full sized original looks compared to a rather smallish reproduction.

I know; although I haven't seen that particular painting in real life (unfortunately), I have seen many other pre-raphaelite paintings, and they tend to be rather large. However, when you stand back from them (as you should), they practically come to life. Moreover, they're still far more accurate and realistic than any photograph of equivalent size, at the time or for many years afterwards.