How do you explain this?

• 37 Replies

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
Re: How do you explain this?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:29 AM »
Hmm...I'm gonna call Photoshop on all of those images, whether it's a photograph or not, just to be safe.

Oracle's is obviously MS Paint.

NO VICTORY YET!!!

if we call the other pictures on wiki false. no?
and also, they have provided explanations as well, no?
and diagrams?

Are you suggesting that diagrams are actually not pictures of the real world? How preposterous.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

Oracle

• RE'er with an open, but critical, mind.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »
Hmm...I'm gonna call Photoshop on all of those images, whether it's a photograph or not, just to be safe.

Oracle's is obviously MS Paint.
NO VICTORY YET!!!
if we call the other pictures on wiki false. no?
and also, they have provided explanations as well, no?
and diagrams?

Are you suggesting that diagrams are actually not pictures of the real world? How preposterous.

Gah... it doesn't matter if the photos are of a real sunset or not, we can all go out and look at a sunset and see that it pretty much does look just like that for ourselves.  It's just illustrations to help communicate meaning, and not offered as evidence.

As to the diagram, it is just a diagram that communicates a concept regarding perspective and how it works better than words might, because you can 'see' the impact of it rather than trying to visualize what I'm trying to say with words.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »

Still looks like the sun is sinking below the horizon, does not look like it has diminished to an infinitesimally small, but still a fully round, dot approaching the horizon from above.

Actually, it looks like the sun is being squished into the horizon due to optical effects.

Yeah, but when drawing that diagram you forgot to consult the explanations in Earth Not a Globe and the Wiki: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Magnification+of+the+Sun+at+Sunset
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:11:23 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Oracle

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »
http://chamorrobible.org/images/photos/gpw-200702-48-NASA-STS111-321-24-space-sunset-20020618-Sahara-Desert-medium.jpg

Still looks like the sun is sinking below the horizon, does not look like it has diminished to an infinitesimally small, but still a fully round, dot approaching the horizon from above.

Actually, it looks like the sun is being squished into the horizon due to optical effects.

Looks pretty flat on the bottom and pretty curved on the top to me, especially when observed at the halfway mark in the first picture.  It looks cut off at the bottom, not squished, as if it has partially fallen behind the horizon, but definitely not squished.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee509/DragonsOracle/perspective.png

Yeah, but when drawing that diagram you forgot to consult the explanations in Earth Not a Globe and the Wiki: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Magnification+of+the+Sun+at+Sunset

No... I didn't... I've read it and it is a BS explanation of how perspective actually works... as I have pointed out numerous times in the past.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
The explanation in Earth Not a Globe is not mathematically supported.  I have already pointed this out to you.  Apparent position is determined by angle at which light reaches the observer.  Nothing more.  If the apparent position does not comply with the angle that the model predicts, the model is wrong.  Light would have to bend both sideways, up, and "inward" for your model to be true.

?

Puttah

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
This is your best judgement as a zetetic scientist? It seems much more like a belief system you're abiding by than anything else.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

?

Oracle

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »
This is your best judgement as a zetetic scientist? It seems much more like a belief system you're abiding by than anything else.

You know Tom... when you point out to a RE'er that the horizon when viewed from the ground does appear to be a horizontal line and when viewed at high altitudes that it does appear to be the edge of a disk... and we can accept that and move on... but you are just absolutely outright denying the obvious apparent effect of a very easily observable event.  this in NO way looks like the squashing of anything.  If it was an optical illusion of 'squashing' then the curvature on top arcing downward would MATCH the curvature going up from the bottom.  This is very clearly NOT the case here in these pictures.

At least admit what is very plainly visible to anyone who can objectively look at something without deluding themselves with their own personal non-Zetetic biased belief system.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
To disappear, the sun have to move far enough away that it wouldn't be day anywhere on Earth.