The Dark Side of Oz

• 6 Replies

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
The Dark Side of Oz
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:01:23 AM »
Has anybody ever tried watching The Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon?  I did it the other day (there's a google video that shows the sync up nicely) and I have to say, it was interesting.  I thought there were a few places where an intentional sync seemed to be taking place. 

For example, "Great Gig in the Sky" starts just as the wind starts blowing, leading to the tornado, and the intensity of the vocals in the song seem to mirror Dorothy's state of mind.  The whole scene with the house flying is during that song.

Also, in "Us and Them", when the lyric "Black" is sung, the focus is on the Wicked Witch of the West in her black dress; and then when "Blue" is sung, it's on Dorothy in her blue dress.  That might seem like a stretch, but actually seeing it, it really looked intentional.

I intentionally watched it before reading The Definitive List so I wouldn't have any preconceived notions about what to expect; I only had vague notions of where the sync-ups were supposed to take a place (like Scarecrow's dance during "Brain Damage" and Tin Man sing "If I Only Had a Heart" while the beating of the heart is playing at the end of the album), and I found that the few syncs I was anticipating did indeed exist, and a number of others as well, all of which appeared on the list.

The list also includes some real stretches, but that doesn't change the fact that many of them are rather eerie... considering that a)the idea that Pink Floyd would have really gone to such great lengths to engineer an album to sync up with a movie seems unlikely, and b)the band and Alan Parsons, the album's engineer, deny an intentional connection.

But actually watching it makes you wonder.  A lot of things, from shifts in mood to the dancing of the Munchkins, seem to match the construction of the songs.  There are surely places where the music and the action are completely incongruous... but to expect Pink Floyd to perfectly match the movie would be ludicrous as well.  If nothing else it demonstrates a fascinating principle about randomness and coincidence, if it's simply an urban legend.

It makes me want to try experimenting with other albums and movies (musicals, to be fair), and seeing if I can compile such a list of synchronous moments.  Maybe Led Zeppelin 4 and Singin' in the Rain, or Master of Puppets and My Fair Lady...

Has anyone else given this a shot?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
Re: The Dark Side of Oz
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:19:34 AM »
Apophenia.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
I've tried it and just couldn't watch the whole thing, sure a few things sync up, but Pink Floyd have stated, as did you, on record there was nothing to do with this, along with producers and virtually everyone else involved with "Dark Side of the Moon". 

Interestingly there are other albums that sync the same.  I can't remember now but Cracked.com took a look at it once.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »
They played it at the Pink Floyd laser show here, but we left like twenty minutes in.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
I've tried it and just couldn't watch the whole thing, sure a few things sync up, but Pink Floyd have stated, as did you, on record there was nothing to do with this, along with producers and virtually everyone else involved with "Dark Side of the Moon".

Interestingly there are other albums that sync the same.  I can't remember now but Cracked.com took a look at it once.

That's why I'd like to experiment with a random album and movie.  I want to see if I can force connections that seem as compelling as the ones I saw when I tried it out with these.

Don't know if I'll ever actually get around to it, though. 

Apophenia.

No doubt.  I fully acknowledge that any examples of synchronization are very likely unintentional, but I still find it fascinating.

It's a bit like the Bible Code, I think.  If you actively look for coincidences you're bound to find them.  It's the breadth of coincidences in this case that I think has captivated people to the degree it has.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:11:52 AM »
Susan Boyles new album fits over Rollerball (1975) perfectly. FACT

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:26:42 AM »
Susan Boyles new album fits over Rollerball (1975) perfectly. FACT

I shall check this out for myself and post the results!