Private schools or public schools

• 27 Replies
?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
Private schools or public schools
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »
Which is better? Why? Or is there no difference?
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
Re: Private schools or public schools
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:32:11 AM »
Public schools are VERY expensive and are generally boarding schools. However, public schools like Harrow offer some of the best education in the world. Private schools are obviously more expensive than state schools, and are a (generally, at least) step up from step up from state schools in terms of educational quality. Depends how rich you are really.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:37:21 AM »
Seeing as how I have never been to a private school, I cannot make a direct comparison. I know private schools can offer great educations, but also do not have to meet to certain state education requirements. Preaching religion to kids comes to mind.

Many public schools offer phenomenal educations. But it depends on where you live for both. What criteria of judgment are you using?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:57:56 AM »
What criteria of judgment are you using?
Any criteria really.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:00:12 AM »
Public schools are VERY expensive and are generally boarding schools. However, public schools like Harrow offer some of the best education in the world. Private schools are obviously more expensive than state schools, and are a (generally, at least) step up from step up from state schools in terms of educational quality. Depends how rich you are really.
Where I am public schools means the school is publicly owned and as a result is 'free'.  Often there is no boarding situation offered as the people that attend live in the local area.  Can you inform me if there is a difference between the public and state schools you mention? 

Lorddave

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:58:07 AM »
Private schools often have a better quality of education if it's not religiously based. The reason being is that they don't conform to all government requirements, have smaller class sizes, and can teach children at a pace that they can handle rather than burying them in standardized testing.

Also the cost can make parents lush kids harder.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:08:45 AM »
In the UK public schools are privately run, but have no entry requirements. Private schools test pupils before accepting them and state schools are the obvious. We also have religious schools which are funded by the government because of fucking Blair being a fucking tim and shit.

But yeah, private schools are better just because they have more money.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:11:19 AM by General Douchebag »
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:22:20 AM »
In general, I've found private colleges to be better academically.

Although you have to watch out for retarded private schools in the U.S.
Example: Wheaton College (A Christian College)- Somehow ranks as one of the top schools in the country year after year...but they still don't teach the full theory of evolution and only in the past couple decades were even willing to talk about it. In addition, every student has to sign a contract before they arrive ensuring they believe in God the creator and that humans all descended from Adam and Eve, who were in turn directly created from God and in his image...or they get the boot.

They're actually good students (study hard etc.) but are absolutely retarted.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »

I like.

Anyhow the first private school I went to was rather free spirited and learning was pretty much to the individual.  It was small enough (25 or so students) that we did a lot of things spontaneously.  We were situated just outside of downtown and we all went embassy hopping to try and get interviews.  One of the students got a pretty cold shoulder a the US embassy 'cause he was wearing a Sandanistas T-shirt.

Second one I went to was a Christian Boarding School (which is really strange - neither of my parents were) where we were taught evolution was false, our geology teacher was  a young earth creationist, and many of the students were problem kids dumped there by their very Christian parents.

Surviving that my parents shipped my off to sea for two years.

Berny
Christian school required HIV tests for all students.

To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
The British and American posters are talking about two different things.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »

Don't matter I'm neither.

Berny
And I live in London on the Thames.
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
I'd say it's more up to the student than the school. Also, an arbitrary school from one category may be better than an arbitrary school from another. I don't know if there's a general tendency, but even if there is one, it seems logical to just ignore it and choose a school consciously, based on at least preliminary research.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 10:17:10 AM »

I like.

Anyhow the first private school I went to was rather free spirited and learning was pretty much to the individual.  It was small enough (25 or so students) that we did a lot of things spontaneously.  We were situated just outside of downtown and we all went embassy hopping to try and get interviews.  One of the students got a pretty cold shoulder a the US embassy 'cause he was wearing a Sandanistas T-shirt.

Second one I went to was a Christian Boarding School (which is really strange - neither of my parents were) where we were taught evolution was false, our geology teacher was  a young earth creationist, and many of the students were problem kids dumped there by their very Christian parents.

Berny

Why didn't your parents like you?
              Do they like you now?
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »

Berny

Britain , London, Ireland, Wales, England what's the difference?
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »

I like.

Berny

0_o...please tell us more about your life
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
Where I am public schools means the school is publicly owned and as a result is 'free'.  Often there is no boarding situation offered as the people that attend live in the local area.  Can you inform me if there is a difference between the public and state schools you mention? 
Ah, in Britain at least public schools are very highly rated private schools, like Eton or Llandovery. These are very expensive and usually boarding schools. State schools are government funded schools following a set national curriculum.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
In Ontario (and I think Alberta) we still fund Catholic schools. It's absolutely ridiculous, but they end up with the best schools because the church also funds them.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 12:21:34 PM »
In Ontario (and I think Alberta) we still fund Catholic schools. It's absolutely ridiculous, but they end up with the best schools because the church also funds them.
Britain funds religious schools, not just Christian ones. I went to a state-funded Catholic primary school and spent a year at a Catholic secondary school before I left.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
I went to the school in Rock School. Not the posh one but the really crappy one full of chavs. I'd still prefer state schools even if the education can be crappy cos people at private and public schools often turn out to be twats.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 10:18:51 PM »

Berny

Britain , London, Ireland, Wales, England what's the difference?

The London not in England or in America.

Why didn't your parents like you?
              Do they like you now?

Our appreciation of each other is best with distance.  You never know how well you have it at home until you no longer are at home.

0_o...please tell us more about your life

In dribs and drabs and other small amounts

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »
I went to the school in Rock School. Not the posh one but the really crappy one full of chavs. I'd still prefer state schools even if the education can be crappy cos people at private and public schools often turn out to be twats.

I sympathize with this sentiment.  I have also long cherished an enlightening classic on this subject that advocates illiteracy which is a awesome weapon against industrialization and all modern forms of propaganda (educational, news media, political and otherwise) including especially modern science.  Widespread illiteracy can deal death to modern science, industry, and political indoctrination which makes it a friend of the poor and of mankind in general.

The Bugbear of Literacy
By Ananda Coomaraswamy

http://www.worldwisdom.com/public/viewpdf/default.aspx?article-title=The_Bugbear_of_Literacy_by_Ananda_Coomaraswamy.pdf

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »

I sympathize with this sentiment.  I have also long cherished an enlightening classic on this subject that advocates illiteracy which is a awesome weapon against industrialization and all modern forms of propaganda (educational, news media, political and otherwise) including especially modern science.  Widespread illiteracy can deal death to modern science, industry, and political indoctrination which makes it a friend of the poor and of mankind in general.

The Bugbear of Literacy
By Ananda Coomaraswamy

http://www.worldwisdom.com/public/viewpdf/default.aspx?article-title=The_Bugbear_of_Literacy_by_Ananda_Coomaraswamy.pdf

I'm not quite so sure I'd advocate illiteracy as it'd the internet even moar dumb. But people ought to learn for themselves rather than rely on schools to educate them (get what education you can but do your own research too as it might not be correct as exampled by the lies we are told in school about the shape of the Earth - baby will know different!)
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 08:07:39 AM »

The Bugbear of Literacy
By Ananda Coomaraswamy

But then people couldnt read the Bible.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »

The Bugbear of Literacy
By Ananda Coomaraswamy

But then people couldnt read the Bible.

Illiteracy and ignorance are different.
Everyone with sight can see icons, and the Bible would be read in Churches for everyone, but
the main point is that the Bible is not the only way to God.

Over the centuries, apostasy has increased with literacy, and the way to God is through the heart and not the mind.

Lorddave

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »

The Bugbear of Literacy
By Ananda Coomaraswamy

Yes it would be the death of all modern society and put us right back into the dark ages.

Or Idiocracy, depending on our technological level.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
Sorry, can we clarify our terms, here?

I would prefer education to be handled publicly (that is: state owned and run), the private school system we have in Britain unfairly disadvantages poor students and disproportionately holds back publicly educated students.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 06:13:15 PM »
Sorry, can we clarify our terms, here?

I would prefer education to be handled publicly (that is: state owned and run), the private school system we have in Britain unfairly disadvantages poor students and disproportionately holds back publicly educated students.

The existence of private schools doesn't hold back state-educated children, the gross underinvestment in education, state sponsorship of bullshit religious schools and total lack of respect for teachers in our society do that.

Nobody bitches and moans about BUPA because the NHS provides a satisfactory service, private schools would be the same if it weren't for our state schools being in a shit state.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 06:05:34 AM »
No, I don't mean that it academically disadvantages them, I mean that having a private education is normally a leg-up to institutions like Cambridge or Oxford purely on the basis of having the cash to spend and getting references from a network of connected wealthy individuals.

And I do bitch and moan about BUPA, for one thing I don't believe it's right that people should be able to get faster access to operations or better standards of care based on the size of their wallet. Plus, organisations like BUPA damage the NHS by drawing away better doctors and contracts (Well, those who are interested in a nice big paycheck do, at any rate)

The NHS often provides training for these young doctors who are then lured away by the likes of BUPA.

However, that's an argument for another thread.