How were people tricked.

• 74 Replies
Re: How were people tricked.
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
I believe in what I can see with my own eyes.  Trees grow from the ground.  The sky is blue.  The Earth is flat.

Well there's your problem.

How is supporting a theory a problem?

Have you ever heard of Occam's Razor?

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I believe in what I can see with my own eyes.  Trees grow from the ground.  The sky is blue.  The Earth is flat.

His problem is that he's never directly observed a tree growing or the entire structure of the earth, yet he makes claims with absolute certainty despite this. Zeteticism, indeed.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »

I don't think Occam's Razor is accepted on this site anymore, because it doesn't solve anything, and only causes more pointless bickering from people.

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »

There's no problem with supporting a theory, nor did I claim there was.  There is, however, and problem with making claims before considering any other possibilities aside from what is directly observed.

And Occam's Razor is pointless, at least in RET vs FET context.  Debates about Occam's Razor inevitably degrade into fruitless bickering.

?

Around And About

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 06:21:04 AM »
...inevitably degrade into fruitless bickering.

I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a thread NOT do this.
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2011, 06:27:20 AM »
...inevitably degrade into fruitless bickering.

I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a thread NOT do this.
  It is the Flat Earth Razor.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »

His problem is that he's never directly observed a tree growing or the entire structure of the earth, yet he makes claims with absolute certainty despite this. Zeteticism, indeed.

I've never observed a tree growing?  You mean in the sense that I can't literally see it getting bigger?  What other conclusion am I supposed to draw from the fact that trees are always sticking out of the ground unless artificially put in other circumstances?   ???

There is, however, and problem with making claims before considering any other possibilities aside from what is directly observed.

Pot, meet kettle.  Look, you're both the same color!

And Occam's Razor is pointless, at least in RET vs FET context.  Debates about Occam's Razor inevitably degrade into fruitless bickering.

About this, we agree.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Around And About

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
I've never observed a tree growing?  You mean in the sense that I can't literally see it getting bigger?  What other conclusion am I supposed to draw from the fact that trees are always sticking out of the ground unless artificially put in other circumstances?   ???

Yes...observing trees only confirms their existence, not that they're growing. This is precisely the sort of argument that people make all the time on this board so I'm surprised that I have to spell it out for you.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »

Yes...observing trees only confirms their existence, not that they're growing. This is precisely the sort of argument that people make all the time on this board so I'm surprised that I have to spell it out for you.

I've watched trees as they've grown over many years from tiny saplings to mighty oaks.  If you've never had the pleasure of observing a tree grow I feel sorry for you.  Maybe if you got more in touch with nature you'd be better equipped to see the world as it truly is.  :)
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Around And About

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »

I've watched trees as they've grown over many years from tiny saplings to mighty oaks.

Hmm, interesting. Can you describe to me how you've managed to observe a tree grow over many years? It does not seem physically possible. ???

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »

I've watched trees as they've grown over many years from tiny saplings to mighty oaks.

Hmm, interesting. Can you describe to me how you've managed to observe a tree grow over many years? It does not seem physically possible. ???

Roundy has an exceedingly long attention span and exceedingly little life.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »

A poplar from sapling to cultivatable size for burning takes 4 or so years.  When I was at boarding school for the 3 years i was able to see the poplars grow while working in the field.  Unless someone keeps replanting larger and larger trees....

Berny
Smart school 400+ students = lots of free labour.
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »

A poplar from sapling to cultivatable size for burning takes 4 or so years.  When I was at boarding school for the 3 years i was able to see the poplars grow while working in the field.  Unless someone keeps replanting larger and larger trees....

Berny

I think you're onto something Berny, the "mysterious being that appears when we're not looking and replaces smaller plants with larger plants to make them appear growing theory."

?

Oracle

• RE'er with an open, but critical, mind.
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

Berny

I think you're onto something Berny, the "mysterious being that appears when we're not looking and replaces smaller plants with larger plants to make them appear growing theory."

It seem perfectly reasonable, from a Zetetic standpoint, that we consider all possibilities no matter how insane they might seem at first.

So tell me sillyrob, do you think that it is possible that there is always a static number of trees and that this mysterious being ... let's just call it the "tree fairy" for convenience sake ... that the tree fairy just cycles the trees around the world when everyone is not looking, sort of like Santa Claus?

I think this evidence brought forth deserves some more thorough investigation... but how do you catch this tree fairy if they are never around when you aren't looking?

*** Please note intense sarcasm ***

?

Puttah

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »

A poplar from sapling to cultivatable size for burning takes 4 or so years.  When I was at boarding school for the 3 years i was able to see the poplars grow while working in the field.  Unless someone keeps replanting larger and larger trees....

Berny

It seem perfectly reasonable, from a Zetetic standpoint, that we consider all possibilities no matter how insane they might seem at first.

So tell me sillyrob, do you think that it is possible that there is always a static number of trees and that this mysterious being ... let's just call it the "tree fairy" for convenience sake ... that the tree fairy just cycles the trees around the world when everyone is not looking, sort of like Santa Claus?

I think this evidence brought forth deserves some more thorough investigation... but how do you catch this tree fairy if they are never around when you aren't looking?

*** Please note intense sarcasm ***
Video surveillance. It has been done, but for other reasons besides catching tree fairies.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.