Lottery

• 63 Replies

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
Re: Lottery
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »
I play the euromillions when the jackpot is high.

I've never understood this "tax on the poor" line, as if poor automatically means stupid! Do you think that "poor" people don't understand the odds? Do you think that if the lottery didn't exist they'd take that money and invest it wisely in a ISA or something? Or maybe they'd play the upper class lottery, there's a few of them FTSE, NASDAQ etc... More people lost money on these lotteries than all the others put together.

Desperation does change one's view of odds. In a sense, if someone gets enjoyment from playing the lottery, it's a fine use. If someone thinks they have a better chance of improving their life through playing the lottery than addressing their own debt or some other such activity, it's a negative force.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »

I've never understood this "tax on the poor" line, as if poor automatically means stupid! Do you think that "poor" people don't understand the odds? Do you think that if the lottery didn't exist they'd take that money and invest it wisely in a ISA or something? Or maybe they'd play the upper class lottery, there's a few of them FTSE, NASDAQ etc... More people lost money on these lotteries than all the others put together.

You apparently don't get around much. Have you never seen poor people lined up to buy lottery tickets?
   I see them alot, not spending 1 or 2 dollars for fun. They spend 30 or 40 dollars. In the mean time they can't pay for rent, electricity or other needs. Wake up.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »
I only play in office pools -- and only because I would hate myself if they did manage to somehow win big money and I was one of the few jackasses that did not get a cut.

Sometimes I wonder if we were separated at birth.  I only play in office pools too, and for the exact same reason.

My parents play a lot of scratch-offs.  I find them a tedious waste of time and money.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »
Everytime I see an office pool win big money I instantly think of the two or three coworkers who chose not to play... I would never forgive myself.

I don't think I've ever bought a scratch ticket for myself, but have bought a few as a card- or stocking-stuffer gift.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 03:43:22 AM »
I've already told my coworkers that should they win, they are quite entitled to rub my face in it as long as I can quote statistics and take the piss every time they don't win.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »

The lottery plays on humans' natural disposition to interpret absurdly large numbers. I think if people could visually see their chances and relative expenses, the amount of people spending would decrease drastically.

By the way, that comic doesn't have accurate statistics.

"Your actual odds of winning the lottery depend on where you play, but single state lotteries usually have odds of about 18 million to 1 while multiple state lotteries have odds as high as 120 million to 1."

Lottery Calculator

So anyone want to spend money guessing which blade of grass in your local park is special?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:03:01 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

vhu9644

• Round earth supporter
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
hey, the government needs money, how else to do it than use good marketing?

i mean, a expected gain of 5-115 million/winner (depends on lottery) who wouldnt love that
people i respect: Ski, Oracle, PizzaPlanet, Wendy

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
As I recall, the Great Wall of China was funded by Keno.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 03:33:20 AM »

You apparently don't get around much. Have you never seen poor people lined up to buy lottery tickets?
   I see them alot, not spending 1 or 2 dollars for fun. They spend 30 or 40 dollars. In the mean time they can't pay for rent, electricity or other needs. Wake up.

I don't need to wake up, i'm not porr.

In other news

Euromillions is £117m jackpot tonight.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:42 AM »
Everytime I see an office pool win big money I instantly think of the two or three coworkers who chose not to play... I would never forgive myself.

I don't think I've ever bought a scratch ticket for myself, but have bought a few as a card- or stocking-stuffer gift.

I really dislike that kind of lotterys. We got the same idea but that one zipcode wins which makes people that don't want to play buy tickets just in the off-chance that the others might win and they are the only ones that didnt
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 04:41:49 AM »
Someone in NY just won 391 million.  I bet their life sucks right now.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 07:07:38 AM »

How much in taxes do they have to give back to Uncle Sammy?
That would bite!

Berny
Won another coffee with Roll Up The Rim
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »

That would bite!

Berny

He should take a page out of GE's book.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 07:43:50 AM »

That would bite!

Berny

He should take a page out of GE's book.

This.

I havent heard....40ish% i think,

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:33 AM »
I think it's more like 50 or 60.  Still, 50% of 391 million, I wouldn't complain.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »
90% of 391 million and I still wouldn't complain
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
I liked your link.  It was interesting. 

Question, this is a computer program "random number" generator though, which if I understand it correctly can't really be random because its a program.  Does using the actual balls in the container rolling around and getting selected by vacuum pressure change the randomness odds?

Randomness isn't the problem here. It's frequency of ball picks, which can be accurately simulated.

parsec

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »

Question, this is a computer program "random number" generator though, which if I understand it correctly can't really be random because its a program.  Does using the actual balls in the container rolling around and getting selected by vacuum pressure change the randomness odds?

Randomness isn't the problem here. It's frequency of ball picks, which can be accurately simulated.

So, what if you made all the balls appear in repetitive order. How is this a lottery?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »

So, what if you made all the balls appear in repetitive order. How is this a lottery?

It would effectively simulate one if the picks were constant throughout. The distribution of prize money is the only thing that would change. Silly wiggles.

parsec

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »

It would effectively simulate one if the picks were constant throughout. The distribution of prize money is the only thing that would change. Silly wiggles.

I'm sorry, wat?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »

I'm sorry, wat?

Let me dumb it down for you. As long as in the simulation the pics are set to random then it would not affect total payout, or even payout per person. So it is an effective simulation despite having a different mechanism for random numbers.

Comprende?

parsec

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »

I'm sorry, wat?

Let me dumb it down for you. As long as in the simulation the pics are set to random then it would not affect total payout, or even payout per person. So it is an effective simulation despite having a different mechanism for random numbers.

Comprende?

Que?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
I'm gonna play the Lotto this week cos its the biggest pot they've had (sadly only 7 and a half million, thats nothing compared to lotto pots in civilised countries. And America)
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »
I'm gonna play the Lotto this week cos its the biggest pot they've had (sadly only 7 and a half million, thats nothing compared to lotto pots in civilised countries. And America)

The kicker is you don't even have an increased chance of winning despite fewer players.

?

vhu9644

• Round earth supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »

I'm sorry, wat?

Comprende?

Que?
yo no hablo ni leo espanol
people i respect: Ski, Oracle, PizzaPlanet, Wendy

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »

I kept reading this and I have to respond. Every day I watch unwashed men with barely any money drop 20-30 bucks on lottery tickets. They never win much and if they do they just drop the money right back into lottery tickets. At best part of their money gets given to some random bastard who now is "set for the rest of his life" and will probably be poor within the next decade. I don't see how a lottery does anything but increases poverty and funnels money into whoever runs said lotteries.

?

sillyrob

• Official Member
  • Punk rawk.
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
The tax rate on lottery is about 40%, and if you decide to take a lump sum they cut out about 50% after the taxes. They're still looking at one lump sum of $117 million or they could get about $234 million paid over 20 years, or $11.73 million a year. I think I'd rather get the $11.73 million a year myself.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 09:13:14 PM »
The tax rate on lottery is about 40%, and if you decide to take a lump sum they cut out about 50% after the taxes. They're still looking at one lump sum of $117 million or they could get about $234 million paid over 20 years, or $11.73 million a year. I think I'd rather get the $11.73 million a year myself.

Interest mofo. You'll make back what you give up simply by investing the money.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 09:16:46 PM »

The kicker is you don't even have an increased chance of winning despite fewer players.

I know, it sucks. I'd play the Euromillions but Finland doesn't participate grr
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 04:48:57 AM »

I kept reading this and I have to respond. Every day I watch unwashed men with barely any money drop 20-30 bucks on lottery tickets. They never win much and if they do they just drop the money right back into lottery tickets. At best part of their money gets given to some random bastard who now is "set for the rest of his life" and will probably be poor within the next decade. I don't see how a lottery does anything but increases poverty and funnels money into whoever runs said lotteries.

I was actually being a little facetious.  I watched a show about lottery winners and how it negatively changed their lives.  Im not talking about in small ways either.  Marriages lost.  Family isolated.  Like you say...broke in 10 years.  Kind of sad.  I have played though when the jackpot get really high.