Accent caused by atmospheric pressure or similar?

• 10 Replies
Accent caused by atmospheric pressure or similar?
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:45:12 AM »
Are you aware of any work or data that would support that?

Lorddave

Re: Accent caused by atmospheric pressure or similar?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:59:28 AM »
Accent as in how words and sounds are pronounced?
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
In cold weather, I have noticed that my voice becomes more nasal and mucus-y.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »

Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »
No. People raised in the same areas by people with different accents take on those accents.
And if you are asking if the origin of existing accents were subtly influenced by air pressure, how would you test that?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »
I don't understand the question.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
I don't understand the question.
It is a bit unintelligible.
I considered moving it to RM, but seeing as how he might be serious and would be unable to see RM with less posts, I thought I'd let it play out.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
'Tis a cryptic, mysterious post.  I did come up with the acronym 'Atmospheric Composition Change, European Network' acronym but that isn't very satisfactory, either.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »
No. People raised in the same areas by people with different accents take on those accents.
And if you are asking if the origin of existing accents were subtly influenced by air pressure, how would you test that?

This seems to be the most accurate answer so far posted.

However, if you wanted some information along the lines of what you seem to be searching for, I have found very interesting scientific philosophy with reguard to things like the causes of hair, eye, and skin color in Hippocratic medicine.  Physicians like Hippocrates and Avicenna would agree that differences in climate influences cause these differences.  A lack of heat has everything to do with the fact that most Russians tend to have blond hair and pale skin.  The converse is true of Sudanese.  Their medical works go into most interesting detail.

The Four Temperaments
http://www.greekmedicine.net/b_p/Four_Temperaments.html

Inherent Temperament
http://www.greekmedicine.net/b_p/Inherent_Temperament.html

Lorddave

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »

However, if you wanted some information along the lines of what you seem to be searching for, I have found very interesting scientific philosophy with reguard to things like the causes of hair, eye, and skin color in Hippocratic medicine.  Physicians like Hippocrates and Avicenna would agree that differences in climate influences cause these differences.  A lack of heat has everything to do with the fact that most Russians tend to have blond hair and pale skin.  The converse is true of Sudanese.  Their medical works go into most interesting detail.

The Four Temperaments

Inherent Temperament

It's not the heat but the sunlight.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:22 PM »

The Four Temperaments

Inherent Temperament

The four humors? Really? And skin tone is due to UV, not Infrared.