A question for my brothers

• 5 Replies

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
A question for my brothers
« on: March 04, 2011, 02:10:33 PM »
Do you believe there is innate knowledge? I wish to know more about your relationship and views on what you study.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
Re: A question for my brothers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:19 PM »
Yes, I believe in prolepses phusikai.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
I think it depends on how you define 'knowledge', but I certainly think we have innate capacities which give meaning and order to the world we perceive. Human truths and 'objective' truths are not one and the same, and neither is reducible to the other.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
Yes, I believe there is innate knowledge.  To believe, as empiricists do, that sense experience and deduction are what really defines "innate" is not well founded to my perspective. They can not possibly know that completely enough to make such a claim.

We do know that infants younger than one year old have the sense of identifying individuals that are threatening and those that are nurturing.  This derives from an innate awareness and survival sense before experience would portend the identifying factors.      

Knowing the above to be the case, I would continue to include the possibility of knowledge passed forward generationally through our ancestors. An example of this would include knowledge of locations that we have never been to but that we have specific knowledge of.  

With the above also being the case, there could be other innate knowledge considerations that we just don't understand yet, but will some day as we advance our understanding of it.  

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
I am honestly not certain that I understand the question because the phrase innate knowledge seems vague and have different meanings. 

I do believe that men are born with a conscious.  I also believe that men are twofold - body and soul.  Both body and soul are inherited from our parents. 

That said, I emphatically do not believe in metempsychosis.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
While reading a book entitled 'Holiness:  Man's Supreme Destiny' by Constantine Cavarnos, the following paragraph from page 54 about a collection of letters written by Saint Nectarios (1846-1920) seemed relevant enough to quote.

http://ibmgs.org/miscellaneous.html

"Saint Nectarios introduces his counsels on this subject by saying that God created man "in His image" in order to render us partakers of His goodness.  Dwelling on the significance of the phrase "in the image of God," Nectarios says that this implies that love for God and neighbor is innate in our heart.  It is the first law of Christian ethics."

I do not know about the innateness of knowledge, but I do believe this that love is innate.  I believe the twentieth century theologian John Romanides who said that the way to God is through the heart and not the mind.  Contrary to this, Thomas Acquinas taught that the path to God is intellectual, and his scholastic teaching was wrong.  Deification, or a restoration of the God-likeness in which we were created, is more a path of love than intellect.

I think Charlie Chaplin had the same idea when he said "We all want to help one another;  human beings are like that."
He also said "More than cleverness, we need kindness."