• 12 Replies
Curvature
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:23:31 AM »
You mad bro?

Taken from this video, at 1:04:00
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
Re: Curvature
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »
There are actually 4 suns, u mad?

Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
Of course the earth appears curved;  we've known that for hundreds of years.  What is your point?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:33 AM »
The moon is falling into the Earth, u mad?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »
Of course the earth appears curved;  we've known that for hundreds of years.  What is your point?

Isn't that evidence suggesting that the earth is round?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »
I think JD is becoming a RE'er....  :o

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:36:54 AM »
On the other side of the earth there is a bigger planet, u mad?
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
The earth has not "appeared curved for hundred of years."

The earth does not appear curved at 40,000 feet, the commuter flight altitude. Pressurized aircraft didn't get above 40,000 feet until the late 1940's.

As for why there is some curving to the horizon at altitudes above 60,000 feet see: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=High+Altitude+Photographs
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:09:24 AM by Tom Bishop »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »

The earth does not appear curved at 40,000 feet - commuter flight altitude. Pressurized aircraft didn't get above 40,000 feet until the mid to late 1940's.

As for why there is some curving to the horizon at altitudes above 60,000 feet see: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=High+Altitude+Photographs
Its appearance has not changed Tom, our perception of it has.  Just because we were not viewing it hundreds of years ago does not mean it did not appear curved.  Unless there is sufficient evidence otherwise, its safe to assume it appeared yesterday as it does today, at least for the short term cosmically.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »
Its appearance has not changed Tom, our perception of it has.  Just because we were not viewing it hundreds of years ago does not mean it did not appear curved.

Why stop at hundred of years then? Why not thousands, tens of thousands, or millions?

If we did not view any curving to the horizon prior to the 1940's then there is no reason to say that the "earth has appeared curved for hundreds of years." It's not "appearing curved" if no one is looking at it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:09:49 AM by Tom Bishop »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:12:54 AM »
Its appearance has not changed Tom, our perception of it has.  Just because we were not viewing it hundreds of years ago does not mean it did not appear curved.

Why stop at hundred of years then? Why not thousands, tens of thousands, or millions?

If we did not view any curving to the horizon prior to the 1940's then there is no reason to say that the "earth has appeared curved for hundreds of years." It's not "appearing curved" if no one is looking at it.
Its a slippery slope slop you are traversing.  You are correct, the only thing to assume is the earth is infinite as well as the time from its creation.  Unless of course there is evidence otherwise.  That is what zeteticism should teach us.  Trust our senses, not insane induction that things must have been something.

I'm not going to have some sort of "tree falls in the woods" in the discussion because I think we both understand that there are views that differ there. 

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

The earth does not appear curved at 40,000 feet, the commuter flight altitude. Pressurized aircraft didn't get above 40,000 feet until the late 1940's.

your link doesnt explain this at all, it says when you are above the atmosphere. you dont need to be above it

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:17 AM »

1)  Can you please explain to me the difference between the edge of the Earth looking like "an arc of a circle" and "elliptical"?

2)  The Sun can't possibily shine down onto the FE in a circle.  What about the equinoxes?  It would have to light up exactly half of the Earth, not just a small, circular portion.