Chemistry question

• 9 Replies

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Chemistry question
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
If you mix salt and baking soda, and put it in water, and preform electrolysis, what would you get?

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
Re: Chemistry question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:01:31 PM »
Carling.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »
Hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide and carbon dioxide. I can't remember the valencies though, so I'm probably wrong.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
Thanks

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
I think the main thing you would get would be hydrogen and oxygen gas.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »

I know that if you use salt, you end up with chlorine gas, because Chlorine is oxidized preferentially to water, and sodium would reduce preferentially to Hydrogen.  Although this doesn't work out perfectly and you end up with some interesting chemistry.  I know my explanation is shit, but it's been 12 years since I've done redox reactions.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 04:24:34 AM »
You would end up with the above mentioned mixture....and no hair.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
You'd have toilet duck.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »

I know that if you use salt, you end up with chlorine gas, because Chlorine is oxidized preferentially to water, and sodium would reduce preferentially to Hydrogen.  Although this doesn't work out perfectly and you end up with some interesting chemistry.  I know my explanation is shit, but it's been 12 years since I've done redox reactions.
I know that chlorine oxidizes with preferentially to water, which means that it is happier being in its ionized form then water is being water meaning that water breaks down first right?
I swear that I used to see people at the science museum preform electrolysis with salt water. granted I could be wrong but the 5 minutes I spent googling it seemed to implies people use saltwater to for like home electrolysis which I doubt would happen if it produced chlorine in greater concentrations then oxygen and hydrogen. again I could be wrong but that is just based on what I remember from chem.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »
I remember using salt water and burning my nose when I inhaled what I thought would have been oxygen but turned out to be chlorine.  I'm almost certain that the voltage used makes a difference as to what gets produced.  Again, it's been 12 years since I've dealt with redox reactions.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.