A request for some advice

• 87 Replies
?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
A request for some advice
« on: February 24, 2011, 06:07:50 AM »
I've been thinking about careers and shit, so I decided to consult the learned people of the Flat Earth Society. In short, IIRC some of you have experience in the Armed Forces. I was thinking of joining (no particular branch in mind but probably the Navy or Air Force) as an officer, because I don't fancy being cannon fodder and the pay is quite good. Would you recommend it?
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: A request for some advice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:35 AM »
Two questions:

1) Do you like brown people?

2) Would you prefer them exploded?

If you answered  'no' to question 1 and 'yes' to question two, welcome aboard, sir. May your aim be drue and your Predator drone never let you down.

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:17:44 AM »
Two questions:

1) Do you like brown people?

If you answered  'no' to question 1 and 'yes' to question two, welcome aboard, sir. May your aim be drue and your Predator drone never let you down.
This is the main reason I don't want to join the Army. I don't particularly agree with the Afghan war, and definitely don't want to lose my legs to some IED.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

?

Mr Pseudonym

• Official Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »
I've been thinking about careers and shit, so I decided to consult the learned people of the Flat Earth Society. In short, IIRC some of you have experience in the Armed Forces. I was thinking of joining (no particular branch in mind but probably the Navy or Air Force) as an officer, because I don't fancy being cannon fodder and the pay is quite good. Would you recommend it?
Sounds to me like you are focusing too much on the career side of things and not enough on the shit side. Try go and have a dump.
Why do we fall back to earth? Because our weight pushes us down, no laws, no gravity pulling us. It is the law of intelligence.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:30:19 AM »
In which case:

Air Force

1) Do you like British Tanks?

Navy

Do you always ensure your vessel is long, hard and full of seamen?

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
In which case:

Air Force

1) Do you like British Tanks?

This would only be true if I were American. The Navy thing is (I hope) just an incorrect stereotype.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
The only reason I can think of that a service man would not want to deploy to combat zone would be because he doesn't want to earn money. Plus, officers would be expected to jump through hoops to go. IMHO, if you don't want to be part of an unpopular war, don't join.
an vir

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:53 AM »
The only reason I can think of that a service man would not want to deploy to combat zone would be because he doesn't want to earn money. Plus, officers would be expected to jump through hoops to go. IMHO, if you don't want to be part of an unpopular war, don't join.
Fair enough. If we're pulling out troops when they say we are, then it shouldn't be a problem because if I do join it won't be for a few years anyway. It's not that I wouldn't go, especially if it meant earning a fair bit of cash, I just don't really see why we're there.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:49:59 PM »
Why not get a job which doesn't involve being a hired killer or commander of hired killers?

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »
Fair enough. If we're pulling out troops when they say we are, then it shouldn't be a problem because if I do join it won't be for a few years anyway. It's not that I wouldn't go, especially if it meant earning a fair bit of cash, I just don't really see why we're there.
God told Bush to send troops there.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
God told Bush to send troops there.
Maybe, the American people were louder I think
an vir

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
Don't join for the money or benefits. Join because it's something you want to do.

Money is easy enough to come by in life without resorting to working as a hired killer.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
Don't join for the money or benefits. Join because it's something you want to do.

Money is easy enough to come by in life without resorting to working as a hired killer.

Tell that to all the aspiring actors that are working as waiters or taxi drivers.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
Tell that to all the aspiring actors that are working as waiters or taxi drivers.

If those people really wanted to make money, they could. No one is forced into poverty. They don't need to be actors. There are many other fields or trades they could pursue. Nor are they forced to work for others, either. Independent contractors can make good money. A one man operation can make good money. There are limitless opportunities and thousands of fields by which to make money.

People are in poverty due to laziness and unambition, not failure.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:02:05 PM by Tom Bishop »

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
Anything medical based makes bank. Minus the jobs that require minimal education.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:49 PM »

If those people really wanted to make money, they could. No one is forced into poverty. They don't need to be actors. There are many other fields or trades they could pursue. Nor are they forced to work for others, either. Independent contractors can make good money. A one man operation can make good money. There are limitless opportunities and thousands of fields by which to make money.

That kinda goes against the whole, "Don't join for the money or benefits. Join because it's something you want to do" part.

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
I am in Air Force ROTC right now.  Officer training is kinda a bitch though  :-[
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

frostee

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »
Who gives a fuck, you are getting paid.
Recently religious due to the impending rapture.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »

That kinda goes against the whole, "Don't join for the money or benefits. Join because it's something you want to do" part.

Money is easy enough to come by that you can do something that is at least related to what you want to do.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 07:12:26 AM »

Money is easy enough to come by that you can do something that is at least related to what you want to do.

Like acting?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »

Like acting?

If someone truly enjoys and wants to participate in cinema there are plenty of careers one could purse in the film industry. All actors aren't necessarily Hollywood stars. There are actors who do commercials for companies, actors who appear in TV, actors who appear in direct-to-video movies, voice actors for radio, video games, and cartoons. An aspiring actor should be confident in himself and know enough about what makes a good actor that he could perform other related roles; such as Casting Director, Choreography Director, Stunt Coordinator, or Acting Consultant.

An actor could also use his skills in presentation in other fields - Sales, for instance. Plenty of companies would kill to hire an actor Sales Rep. Sales Reps who could put on a good show and convince clients to buy the product or service are always in high demand. Managers with good presentation and interpersonal skills are also in demand.

An actor could use his skills in a broad number of careers. There are an endless number of opportunities.

Any actor who resorts to waiting tables for a living is simply lazy and unambitious.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:43:59 AM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
Any actor who resorts to waiting tables for a living is simply lazy and unambitious.

Or is an unknown having a hard time breaking into the industry.  Remember that there is an awful lot of competition for even bit parts.  Open auditions can often bring in hundreds of hopefuls competing for one role.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 10:56:57 AM »

Or is an unknown having a hard time breaking into the industry.  Remember that there is an awful lot of competition for even bit parts.  Open auditions can often bring in hundreds of hopefuls competing for one role.

I've already established that there are other ways where one can use his or her acting talent in fields other than acting.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 11:03:38 AM »

Or is an unknown having a hard time breaking into the industry.  Remember that there is an awful lot of competition for even bit parts.  Open auditions can often bring in hundreds of hopefuls competing for one role.

I've already established that there are other ways where one can use his or her acting talent in fields other than acting.

Yes, and those ways depend on already having established one's self as an actor.  For the most part your suggestions are for "used to be" actors, not for "want to be" actors.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 11:19:12 AM »

Or is an unknown having a hard time breaking into the industry.  Remember that there is an awful lot of competition for even bit parts.  Open auditions can often bring in hundreds of hopefuls competing for one role.

Yes, and those ways depend on already having established one's self as an actor.  For the most part your suggestions are for "used to be" actors, not for "want to be" actors.

You don't need to have established yourself as an actor to get a job as a Sales Rep. You need to sell yourself in the interview and show that you can put on a show to sell a product. It's not particularly uncommon for good sales people to make into the six figures.

There are plenty of fields where one can use one's acting talent in a career.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:40:53 AM by Tom Bishop »

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »

Yes, and those ways depend on already having established one's self as an actor.  For the most part your suggestions are for "used to be" actors, not for "want to be" actors.

You don't need to have established yourself as an actor to get a job as a Sales Rep. You need to sell yourself in the interview and show that you can put on a show to sell a product. It's not particularly uncommon for good sales people to make into the six figures.

There are plenty of fields where one can use one's acting talent in a career.

Using skills you learned from acting != being an actor.

This is like saying a person the is doing accounting and doing busy work is being that computer programmer that they wanted to be because they are using a computer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:53:59 PM by EnglshGentleman »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »

Yes it is. If you're putting on a show to sell a product to an audience you're acting, and therefore are an actor. You don't have to do it in front of a camera for it to be acting.

This is like saying a person the is doing accounting and doing busy work is being that computer programmer that they wanted to be because they are using a computer.

Obviously the Accountant isn't a Computer Programmer when doing busy work because he or she is not doing any programming.

But if the Accountant is programming his own accounting tools and scripts for his company, then yes, the accountant is fulfilling his dream of being a Computer Programmer. An Accountant can do computer programming without having the title of "Computer Programmer" just as a Sales Rep can perform acting roles for an audience without having the job title of "Actor".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:44:00 PM by Tom Bishop »

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »

Yes it is. If you're putting on a show to sell a product to an audience you're acting, and therefore are an actor. You don't have to do it in front of a camera for it to be acting.

Obviously the Accountant isn't a Computer Programmer when doing busy work because he or she is not doing any programming.

But if the Accountant is programming his own accounting tools and scripts for his company, then yes, the accountant is fulfilling his dream of being a Computer Programmer. An Accountant can do computer programming without having the title of "Computer Programmer" just as a Sales Rep can perform acting roles for an audience without having the job title of "Actor".

Unless a person is going to create an entire different persona for their job, they won't do any acting, they won't be using any character development skills they learned, the only skills they will use are just interpersonal skills.

The person will not be fulfilling their dream of being a computer programmer if he is just adding together sales reports and putting together quotas. If he chooses to make his own program, than sure, that is his hobby, but he still isn't doing the job he enjoys.

Sure, he knows how to navigate a computer and all of his functions, but it programming it? No.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 10:34:47 PM »
Unless a person is going to create an entire different persona for their job, they won't do any acting, they won't be using any character development skills they learned, the only skills they will use are just interpersonal skills.

Putting on a show for potential clients and feigning interest in your company's product takes significant acting ability.

The person will not be fulfilling their dream of being a computer programmer if he is just adding together sales reports and putting together quotas.

That's not what I said. I said that if an accountant is doing scripting and programming of accounting tools to help his company then he is fulfilling his dream of being a programmer.

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »

You know - around here a new restaurant or night club when doing a meat call can often bring in over 300 applications.  Some of the girls in our club easily carry out a couple hundred in tips a night.  I've worked in bars as a cook and my tip cut was over 50 a night.  Sometimes I think people tend to underestimate the trades.

Berny
Coming up to a 111 hour work week soon.
To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.