@Religious people

• 41 Replies

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
@Religious people
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
I can understand you argument for the existence of God - Something as complex as the Universe is evidence enough for intelligent design.

But my question is - There are hundreds of possible religions out there. How do you know yours is the correct one?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
Re: @Religious people
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:57 AM »
I can understand you argument for the existence of God - Something as complex as the Universe is evidence enough for intelligent design.

But my question is - There are hundreds of possible religions out there. How do you know yours is the correct one?

I think you're asking this on the wrong forum WEEGEE, from what I read Wardogg seems the only one to follow a religion and to post more regularly. I've seen a few more but they hardly ever post. I can be wrong though.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »

I think you're asking this on the wrong forum WEEGEE, from what I read Wardogg seems the only one to follow a religion and to post more regularly. I've seen a few more but they hardly ever post. I can be wrong though.

Then maybe Wardogg will answer.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »
There are hundreds of possible religions out there. How do you know yours is the correct one?

BECAUSE I KNOW!!! I HAVE FAITH!

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »

Very good question. This is in fact the reason why I am merely a theist, not a mono/poly theist. I am open to any religion being the right one, I simply believe that there is some form of divinity in this existence.
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
How is the Universe and it's complexity evidence for intelligent design?

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »

That was just my example of a creationist argument. While this point could also be debated, that's not the purpose of this thread.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »

This. "Because my God says so".

But then it becomes more complex with Judaism, Christianity and Islam all having the same God..

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »
Well, very complex systems tend not to be accidental. Another thing to consider is that if the Big Bang created the Universe, who lit the fuse?
Always check your tackle- Caerphilly school of Health. If I see an innuendo in my post, I'll be sure to whip it out.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:05:00 PM by Tausami »

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »

This. "Because my God says so".

That image answers the OP rather well, in my opinion.

?

fluffycornsnake

• Official Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
All knowledge is based on experience. A consistent religious person will justify their belief in experience, rather than a philosophical fancy.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »

Very good question. This is in fact the reason why I am merely a theist, not a mono/poly theist. I am open to any religion being the right one, I simply believe that there is some form of divinity in this existence.

Why do you believe there is some form of divinity in this existence?

?

Hazbollah

• Flat Earth Editor
  • Earth Shape Apathetic.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
All knowledge is based on experience. A consistent religious person will justify their belief in experience, rather than a philosophical fancy.
If this is directed at me, then my experience is the testimony of an old man. Harry Patch, who died last year, believed in God because he saw his friend die in WWI. His friend's last word was 'mother', not in a pleading tone, but one of greeting. His mother had been dead for several years.

Honestly? See above, and gut feeling, I suppose. That may sound dumb, but with no empirica evidence either way, it's all I can really go on.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
@OP, IMO it is possible to believe in a god but not be religious.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
If this is directed at me, then my experience is the testimony of an old man. Harry Patch, who died last year, believed in God because he saw his friend die in WWI. His friend's last word was 'mother', not in a pleading tone, but one of greeting. His mother had been dead for several years.

Honestly? See above, and gut feeling, I suppose. That may sound dumb, but with no empirica evidence either way, it's all I can really go on.

I don't see what above has to do with god, though.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
@OP, IMO it is possible to believe in a god but not be religious.

I know that.

?

fluffycornsnake

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »

No it was directed at the OP. I have religious beliefs myself and I base this on experience and perception. The likelihood is that many of my own theological beliefs are inaccurate, but the truth is there are common themes and experiences underpinning a wide variety of faiths. I believe there are elements of Godliness in countless different religions and creeds. The religious instinct is far more fundamental than the theologies or philosophies built around it.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »

I don't, I follow it because it fits my views on life

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 08:17:52 PM »
I imagine its a personal issue;  they choose their religious due to a personal connection to it that makes it seem "real" to them in some way in a zetetic way.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »
My experience is the testimony of an old man.
lol. So it wasn't really your experience then...
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »

But your views could be wrong, and then you'll go to hell.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »

I don't care... if the christians are right i'm about thrice damned, if not more

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »

I don't care... if the christians are right i'm about thrice damned, if not more

You don't care about eternal torture?

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »

He probably doesn't care, just like most atheists don't care, because he's quite sure that Christian dogma is false.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
He says that he believes in the religion, and also that he's not afraid of hell.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »

He probably doesn't care, just like most atheists don't care, because he's quite sure that Christian dogma is false.

It's not even that I am sure Christian dogma is false, and I'm not an atheist and not christian, it's that I know that if the Christians are right I am already damned for things that I can't change in myself, so I don't see the point of trying for their salvation

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »

It's not even that I am sure Christian dogma is false, and I'm not an atheist and not christian, it's that I know that if the Christians are right I am already damned for things that I can't change in myself, so I don't see the point of trying for their salvation

For me that is the point of Chritianity(I can't change myself very well). And I don't have to pay the eternal price for past wrongs.
  God knows you are human, you will be weak in some areas of life, if not many or even all.
   Jesus has paid the price for your salvation, I can't earn my salvation. I don't believe anyone can earn salvation. As it is a gift of God.

Listen at one time I was alcoholic, druggy. I sometimes would blackout, get in fights, black eyes, drunk driving arrest, locked up, all that fun stuff. I'm off all that stuff for about over 20 yrs with the Lord's help.
   He will save you if you want.
  The dogma seems corny, but it is this easy.
            Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.       

I am not sure how to reply, every time I try to type something either I will think it's not true or a dozen other points will come to mind... first off I am a firm believer in my religion, and though there is no "end goal" like heaven or whatever, it suits me well.

As for "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved," that depends on the meaning of "believe," I believe he was a great man, I believe that he was a great healer, and I believe he had some good points of view, but I do not believe that he was an all powerful divine being that took on human form to save humanity.

Also, many of the Christian religions say that I am unable to be saved as I am gay, and I am not giving up a part of myself for the chance that Christianity is actually right.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:19 AM »
So why be religious at all then?