Big new additions to the Flat Earth Library!

• 9 Replies

Daniel

• Administrator
Big new additions to the Flat Earth Library!
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »
As of today, there are two new additions to the Flat Earth Library:

Lady Blount's "Adrian Galilio; or a Songwriter's Story" is now available in its entirety.  It's about 150 pages long and contains all of the original text, sheet music and illustrations.  As far as I know, our library is the only way to get this book without having to track down a 110 year-old copy like I did!

Also, I was lucky enough to meet with the widow of Ellis Hillman (a key figure in the transition between Samuel Shenton and Charles K. Johnson) near Christmas of last year.  She gave me access to a variety of Flat Earth-related materials from his archives.  These included some letters and hand-written notes from former FES president Samuel Shenton himself.  Really amazing stuff.  She also gave me delicious cinnamon cookies.  The documents are currently in the Library.  The cookies, sadly, are not.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
Re: Big new additions to the Flat Earth Library!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »
Great news! PizzaPlanet is also doing some research for the society, and has managed to get photocopies of two works, the first by John Hampden (The Newtonian or solar system Is it scientific?) and the second by Samuel Birley Rowbotham (Zetetic philosophy : Patriarchal longevity, its reality, causes, decline and possible re-attainment).

I can only imagine what 'Patriarchal longevity' refers to; no doubt this work will the subject of great scrutiny within our RE'er community. In any event, thanks to PizzaPlanet for doing this!
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
Hey. Sorry to bump this thread, but I have never heard about what's going to happen with my submissions to the FE Library. Any news?
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:28:28 AM »
Hey. Sorry to bump this thread, but I have never heard about what's going to happen with my submissions to the FE Library. Any news?

I thought you said you were going to clean it up or something? I'm happy to put the one you sent me in the Info Repo, but I can't put it up on the main page. Have you sent it to Daniel?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
I thought you said you were going to clean it up or something? I'm happy to put the one you sent me in the Info Repo, but I can't put it up on the main page. Have you sent it to Daniel?
Oh, yeah, I did fix them a little bit and then I sent the links to Daniel. Haven't heard from him since.

Just in case, here are the links again:
http://pizzaplanted.steven-mcdonald.id.au/zetetic_philosophy.pdf
http://pizzaplanted.steven-mcdonald.id.au/newtonian_system.pdf

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
Fantastic stuff! I'll be doing some work in the Info Repo in the coming days, and I'll be sure to include these great finds. Thanks again!

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »
Just be sure to re-host them somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Parsifal replaced them with le‭monparty the next time he gets drunk ::)

PizzaPlanet

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:44:39 AM »
Very sorry about the delay, PizzaPlanet.  The two documents you submitted are now online in the Library under the heading "Universal Zetetic Society, Samuel "Parallax" Rowbotham and other 19th Century Writings".  If you'd like to be credited on the Library page as a contributor, let me know.  I'll be adding a 'Thanks' section at the bottom this weekend. 

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »
Sure, a mention in the credits section sounds cool. If I may suggest a design for it, here it is:
PizzaPlanet is the greatest!
Also, I'll be submitting one more book once I stop being lazy and get around to scanning it.