When did you become a believer

• 46 Replies
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:58:42 PM »
I will leave my personal believes entirely out of this discussion.  I am asking you, FE believers if you will, when you began to believe that the Earth was flat.  I am not looking for the rhetorical question, when did you believe the earth was round?, I am not stating that I do believe the earth is round and I am not saying I think it is flat, it is unimportant in this matter.  
Has this been an inherant truth throughout your life or perhaps someone has opened your eyes through a very good argument to lead you to believe this way.  
I realize this is something that has been brought up in the past, but I would like this to be nice thread stating stories of when/how this belief came about for you, without any arguments over who is right or wrong.

Thank you very much for your time

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 09:00:30 PM »
The earth is flat?

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:01:31 PM »
Well a lot of FEers don't even believe what they preach, in fact a lot of them came here to prove the FE theory wrong, but after a while they start to see how many dumb trolls seem to gather around here. They then come to the conclusion that it's much more fun to argue for the FE simply for debate practice or to troll the trolls.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:03:56 PM »
Quote from: "Desu"
Well a lot of FEers don't even believe what they preach, in fact a lot of them came here to prove the FE theory wrong, but after a while they start to see how many dumb trolls seem to gather around here. They then come to the conclusion that it's much more fun to argue for the FE simply for debate practice or to troll the trolls.

I am not intent on being a "troll" this is an honest thread being started from my own curiousity.  Please inform me of what I did improperly so I can fix it and my post looks how I intended it to

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »
Quote from: "philospher"
Quote from: "Desu"

I am not intent on being a "troll" this is an honest thread being started from my own curiousity.  Please inform me of what I did improperly so I can fix it and my post looks how I intended it to

I never meant to call you a troll. Sorry if it was somehow implied.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 09:47:35 PM »
Most people who argue FE are Devil's advocates, I did exactly what Desu was talking about, I went and found something that cause a respectable FE'Er to say something along the lines of, "if you can get proof of that, which isn't hard, you have serious ground against the FE model."  I'm not going to refer to what it was about, because I was proud of it, and I want noone to steal it.  It is easily provable though, with a TV.
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 10:03:10 AM »
Thank you for the replies so far, if you do not currently believe in teh FE model, did any of you believe in the past and perhaps then maybe your mind was changed in the opposite direction?

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 05:50:19 PM »
"I will leave my personal believes entirely out of this discussion."

Looks like an attempt to stay above the discussion.

"I am asking you, FE believers if you will, when you began to believe that the Earth was flat." etc.

A double-standard approach. You are trying to hide your own personal beliefs while asking others to share theirs with you. Besides, you are addressing only FE believers. Why not RE believers, too? Some elements of psychoanalysis are apparently evident.

My working hypothesis: a well designed and skillfully elaborated attempt to weaken and possibly split FE believers. A trap.
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:11:54 PM »
Quote from: "Humble_Scientist"

"I am asking you, FE believers if you will, when you began to believe that the Earth was flat." etc.

A double-standard approach. You are trying to hide your own personal beliefs while asking others to share theirs with you. Besides, you are addressing only FE believers. Why not RE believers, too? Some elements of psychoanalysis are apparently evident.

My working hypothesis: a well designed and skillfully elaborated attempt to weaken and possibly split FE believers. A trap.

You little punk bit ch. You're not humble, nor a scientist.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 06:16:31 PM »
I gotta admit, Its impossible to get a straight answer out of any Flat Earthers. They have no proof with which to support their arguement.

I believe that the people who claim to believe the Earth is flat, are just lonely nobodys, who just want to be part of a group. Like the nerdy kids in school, they all bunched together and couldn't stick up for themselves.

I bet that In REAL life, not one of them would admit to being a 'Flat Earther'. Because they know what a load of rubbish it is and how EVERYBODY would just laugh at them.
ttp://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare.php
"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the church". - Ferdinan Magellan

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 06:17:35 PM »
Quote from: "LiamH"
I gotta admit, Its impossible to get a straight answer out of any Flat Earthers. They have no proof with which to support their arguement.

I believe that the people who claim to believe the Earth is flat, are just lonely nobodys, who just want to be part of a group. Like the nerdy kids in school, they all bunched together and couldn't stick up for themselves.

I bet that In REAL life, not one of them would admit to being a 'Flat Earther'. Because they know what a load of rubbish it is and how EVERYBODY would just laugh at them.

There are no Flat Earthers...

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
Quote from: "Ubuntu"

What? This website doesn't exist? I need sleep, or is this a dream?
"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the church". - Ferdinan Magellan

Re: When did you become a believer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 06:29:10 PM »
Is anybody gonna reply?

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 06:31:43 PM »
Quote from: "Ubuntu"

What? This website doesn't exist? I need sleep, or is this a dream?

Patience child! No one really believes in the Flat Earth; they just argue for fun. Remember that.

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 06:33:44 PM »
There are about five real FEers on this site and perhaps a few dozen worldwide, but for all intents and purposes there are no longer any real Flat-Earthers.
the cake is a lie

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 06:35:14 PM »
Quote from: "dysfunction"
There are about five real FEers on this site and perhaps a few dozen worldwide, but for all intents and purposes there are no longer any real Flat-Earthers.

Five liars, you mean.  :wink:

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
REALLY! So Type yes is you belive that the earth is Round! I actually thought there were people who thought it was flat! How stupid!

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 06:39:44 PM »
REALLY! So Type yes is you belive that the earth is Round! I actually thought there were people who thought it was flat! How stupid!

Lol, they don't. This site is mostly a waste of time, unless you find it somehow entertaining. It's just a game.

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 06:44:03 PM »
If there are no real believers can my friends spam it to death?  They're good at that, and this is a small site...

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »
yeah! SPAM sp@m SpAm 5pam. SPAM IT!

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 06:47:28 PM »
Quote from: "Psychopath"
If there are no real believers can my friends spam it to death?  They're good at that, and this is a small site...

No, spammers are no fun.

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 06:49:16 PM »
yeah! SPAM sp@m SpAm 5pam. SPAM IT!

No. Please don't.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 06:50:52 PM »
Oh, come on... I know some professional spammers.  They're busy planning on invasion on Myspace, but, they may have time to knock out you retards.

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »
Quote from: "Psychopath"
Oh, come on... I know some professional spammers.  They're busy planning on invasion on Myspace, but, they may have time to knock out you retards.

Why would you do that? The only "retards" are the ones who don't realize this site is just a fun place to play word games.

Oh, and I suggest leaving comments with 85 MB Hubble Telescope images from NASA on MySpace pages.  :wink:

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 07:25:41 PM »
"You little punk bit ch."

What if you are all that?

"You're not humble, nor a scientist."

Nor you are Ubuntu?

"I suggest leaving comments with 85 MB Hubble Telescope images from NASA on MySpace pages."

Dear friend,

"Hubble Telescope", if I am not mistaken, is not even working in visible light waves range. All those images ought to be heavily computer processed and painted in some arbitrarily chosen colours. You, as well as I, have absolutely no means to verify what all those images are about. How can you believe them?
"It is not necessary that hypotheses should be true, or even probable; it is sufficient that they lead to results of calculation which agree with calculation".
Copernicus

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 07:53:33 PM »
"You little punk bit ch."

What if you are all that?

"You're not humble, nor a scientist."

Nor you are Ubuntu?

"I suggest leaving comments with 85 MB Hubble Telescope images from NASA on MySpace pages."

Dear friend,

"Hubble Telescope", if I am not mistaken, is not even working in visible light waves range. All those images ought to be heavily computer processed and painted in some arbitrarily chosen colours. You, as well as I, have absolutely no means to verify what all those images are about. How can you believe them?

I use Ubuntu.

Yes, you are mistaken. Stop being such a damn pretentious, condescending prick, criticizing people for asking questions.

Hubble Image: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2006/35/image/a

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 08:00:15 PM »

Sorry Humble_Scientist but your post makes absolutely no sense, I did not include RE'ers because I was not interested in simple answers like, I learned it at school or because its obvious things like that.  

I am not intent on trapping anyone I am curious to learn this as I believe others are as well.

And lastly I am confused why keeping my personal beliefs out of the thread implies bias, the purpose of not including any personal beliefs is to eliminate bias.

?

Ubuntu

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 08:20:47 PM »
There are no Flat Earthers, so they couldn't have started believing in something if they don't exist.

It's Devil's Advocates and people who play games.

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 09:04:49 PM »
"Sorry Humble_Scientist but your post makes absolutely no sense"

Dear philospher,

It was just a hypothesis. Your post seemed extremely well elaborated and carefully designed.

Do you think the Earth is flat or round?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Copernicus

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006, 09:16:52 PM »
Dear Ubuntu,

"I use Ubuntu."

So do I.

"Yes, you are mistaken"

You are right, my mistake, I have just checked it. I thought it was another, X-ray instrument. Anyway, the star images are looking quite different than the pictures they had before, which is very strange.

"Stop being such a damn pretentious, condescending prick, criticizing people for asking questions."

Pretty much close to my impression about your behaviour.
Copernicus