Why didn't my plane fly in a straight line

• 77 Replies
Why didn't my plane fly in a straight line
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:49:32 AM »
Why did the aeroplane i was travelling in go from London Heathrow to San Francisco in thiscrazy arc manner, why not just fly in a straight line?????

?

Kira-SY

• Ja pierdole!
Re: Why didn't my plane fly in a straight line
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »
To not crash with other planes having similar trajectories.
Signature under building process, our apologies for the inconveniences

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
so the aeroplane i was travelling on is the only aeroplane that takes that route from LHR to SFO?

?

Around And About

• Circular Logic Falls Flat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
so the aeroplane i was travelling on is the only aeroplane that takes that route from LHR to SFO?

I think a better question might be, how can you have over 2k posts on this forum and still ask such a silly question?

Edit: In reference to your OP, not specifically what was quoted, although of course that's a silly question as well.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:31:57 AM by Around And About »
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

Hessy

• My alts: Edgeworth, any/all spambots
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »
how can you have over 2k posts on this forum and still ask such a silly question?

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
my question isn't silly? The shortest route between 2 points is a straight line. I assume airlines realise this and don't want to burn their profits by way of flying longer distances.

Hessy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:50 AM »
my question isn't silly? The shortest route between 2 points is a straight line. I assume airlines realise this and don't want to burn their profits by way of flying longer distances.

The map you have there is a 2-d projection of a round Earth; if you you got a globe and followed that line, it'd make sense.

It only looks like an arc because you technically did fly in an arc... you need to visualize it.

?

Around And About

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »

Uhh okay? Well I guess I'll answer your question then.

If you support RET: What you're seeing is a direct path on a spherical surface represented on a flat surface.

If you support FET: You're using the wrong map, the continents are radially situated about the north pole.

Welcome to the board, enjoy your stay.  ::)
I'm not black nor a thug, I'm more like god who will bring 7 plagues of flat earth upon your ass.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »

Uhh okay? Well I guess I'll answer your question then.

If you support RET: What you're seeing is a direct path on a spherical surface represented on a flat surface.

Welcome to the board, enjoy your stay.  ::)

Oh my dear friend, i've been here for ages, but thanks all the same.

If you support FET: You're using the wrong map, the continents are radially situated about the north pole.

Could you supply me with the Flat Earth Map?

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »

???

Umm... here you go. Welcome to FES.

Hessy

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »

Good luck with that.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »

???

Umm... here you go. Welcome to FES.

now that's not a map is it? That's a flattened out globe picture. what i'm after is a proper map of the flat earth, the one done by a cartographer

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »

Is that better? I hope you don't live in Australia.

?

Around And About

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »

Do you support any claim to have this outlandish evidence?

Here's another little help for you: Your chances of getting a completely accurate 2-D map for either model are 0%.

(lulz PP)

Hessy

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:31 AM »
Monkey, you won't find a (correct) map of the Flat Earth because no such thing exists, nor is such a thing possible.

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »

Do you support any claim to have this outlandish evidence?

I do. Any.

Here's another little help for you: Your chances of getting a completely accurate 2-D map for either model are 0%.

(lulz PP)

The chances of me getting a decent 2d RE map that i could use to get around the "globe" are 100%
The chances of me getting a decent 2d FE map that i could use to get around the "globe" are 0%

However, you answer presupposes that there is a completely accurate 3d map. Do you know where i can get one?

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
Monkey, you won't find a (correct) map of the Flat Earth because no such thing exists, nor is such a thing possible.

I know this. However, in all my years here, I am yet to get a reasonable answer as to why, if the earth is flat, it hasn't been mapped correctly.

Hessy

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »

I have yet to get a reasonable answer as to why, if the earth is flat, it hasn't been mapped correctly.

You don't get a correctly mapped FE map because the Earth isn't flat, so an accurate FE map is impossible.

Simple, no?

?

Around And About

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »
My answer presupposes absolutely nothing about 3-D maps. Read everything I type very carefully. Including the part about "completely accurate" as opposed to "decent".

Also, what Hessy said.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
This one is pretty good. Nothing is distorted.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 10:09:51 AM »

I have yet to get a reasonable answer as to why, if the earth is flat, it hasn't been mapped correctly.

You don't get a correctly mapped FE map because the Earth isn't flat, so an accurate FE map is impossible.

Simple, no?

To you an I maybe yet here we find ourselves in a Forum on a website dedicated to

"Mission Statement

The mission of the Flat Earth Society is to promote and initiate discussion of Flat Earth theory as well as archive Flat Earth literature.  Our forums act as a venue to encourage free thinking and debate. "

Yet it has no map of the flat earth  :-\

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:17 AM »
This one is pretty good. Nothing is distorted.

Please see this old post http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=22131.0    We've been here before......

Also if that's what you call a pretty decent map i'd hate to see you draw something rubbish in paintbrush

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »
My answer presupposes absolutely nothing about 3-D maps. Read everything I type very carefully. Including the part about "completely accurate" as opposed to "decent".

Also, what Hessy said.

Sorry, my mistake. It seemed like you brought up 2 maps for a reason.  I don't think i asked for a completley accurate map of either. That said i do expect a better effort than something a 5 year old could draw in crayon.

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
Alright, fine. The Earth is actually a non euclidean, trans dimensional, magical geometric shape that can be represented as something like this:

Any questions?

?

Around And About

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
Alright, fine. The Earth is actually a non euclidean, trans dimensional, magical geometric shape that can be represented as something like this:

Any questions?

Hmm yes, where is Australia?

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »

Any questions?

Why have you posted a drawing of a cake stand?

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 10:27:32 AM »
Ask John Davis, it's his. http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=44906.380

It got pretty good reviews, such as
Quote from: PizzaPlanet
An excellent diagram, indeed!

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »
Oh i see, you don't understand the argument you're making. Ok. I'll ask Daniel errr John Davis errrr countless other alts.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »
I'm not making an argument, I'm showing you one.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
Why did the aeroplane i was travelling in go from London Heathrow to San Francisco in thiscrazy arc manner, why not just fly in a straight line?????

lrn2great circle route
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.