Poll

Did the president flat out lie to us because.....

He thinks we are all idiots?
5 (83.3%)
He is an idiot and doesnt know better?
1 (16.7%)
He is so disconnected with reality it is almost criminal.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

What is your opinion

• 31 Replies

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
What is your opinion
« on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
Ok folks. Here it is in black and white. You cannot deny that the president has now flat out lied to you. No spin. No right wing left wing bullshit. Check the facts and the numbers yourself.  You can't make this stuff up.  The white house response is at the end of the article.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/feb/15/barack-obama/barack-obama-says-white-house-budget-would-not-add/

WardoggKC130FE

Re: What is your opinion
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »
The press secretary got up today and tried to defend the whole thing....miserably....here's the transcript.  ABC's Jake Tapper was the reporter asking the quesiton.

TAPPER:  Jay, welcome.

JAY CARNEY:  Thank you.

TAPPER: If I borrow money from you - to pay - to pay off the interest for -

CARNEY:  You may owe me.

TAPPER: Ten-year rule. If I borrow money from you to pay off the interest for the debt I owe to Geoff, am I not adding to my debt?

CARNEY:  Well, without dealing with hypotheticals, why don't you, why don't you ?

TAPPER:  The president seems to think that that borrowing money to pay the interest on the debt is not adding to the debt.  I don't understand that math.

CARNEY:  What the president made clear is that we need to get to a place ? and his budget absolutely does this - where we are no longer spending more than we?re taking in.  And what the reality is, is that we have, like a lot of families  you know, like some families might have, debt on their credit card, with interest rates that have to be contended with.  But the first important step to dealing with this issue is getting your regular spending and income in balance so that you are no longer adding to the problem.
The interest is something we have to deal with, and interest payments are a major portion of our long-term debt.  It?s a problem that we need to  that we need to address.  But the - but it - look, it is not an inconsequential deal to propose a budget that cuts as substantially as it does in targeted areas so that the federal government lives within its means in order to be able to continue to invest in the future, because you have to have economic growth, you have to have job creation, if we're going to address this overall long-term problem.

TAPPER:  I assume when the president calls for an adult conversation, he means that conversation should be forthright and politicians shouldn?t be hiding behind cute language such as "We will not be adding more to the national debt," even if hundreds of billions of dollars are being added to the national debt in interest - paid on debt that President Obama helped, himself, create.

CARNEY:  Well, the debt is - has been created over a number of years, as you know.  And we came in here with an economic crisis, the likes of which, I daresay, I think nobody in this room has ever seen, and which threatened to head straight into a depression if we didn?t act.
But I also remind you that we inherited, when this administration came into office, this president came into office, an enormous debt that had been piled up in the previous eight years.  And that is part of the problem.  And the interest that you?re talking about is on that debt as well.
But, look, I think it?s important to step back.  The president is - put forward a budget that seriously addresses the need to reduce  spending that also protects the key areas that he thinks need to be invested in so that we can remain competitive, grow the economy, create jobs.  And he looks forward to working with Republicans and Democrats in Congress to, you know, deal with both the budget proposals and the long-term debt.  And he thinks that we can ? there is reason to believe that we can - we can get this done.

TAPPER:  Just to button this, you think that, "We will not be adding more to the national debt," is a statement that stands to scrutiny?

CARNEY:  Absolutely, absolutely.  And Jake, we have explained precisely what that means in terms of new spending; you know, getting our spending and income - I mean, our income and spending into balance - that is an important step towards dealing with our deficit and our debt.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:51:24 PM by WardoggKC130FE »

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:20:46 PM »
*GASP* A politician lying! Unheard of! Impeach him now!

But in all seriousness, can you post another link from a website I've heard of? I googled it and found nothing, but I'm assuming that that was my bad.

Lorddave

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »
You act as though he would be the first politician to lie.

In all likely-hood it was a ploy to build consumer confidence both on Main street and Wall street.
Think of it this way: How do economies work?  When people spend money.  If people think the deficit is going to go up and up and up with no hope, people will likely stop spending money and save it.  This will cause the economy to spiral downwards.  
In fact, the more government spending we cut, the less money get's paid to businesses that employ people, which means less people are needed by that business which means less jobs.
Economies are about the flow of money and the best way to ensure money flows is to make sure the consumers aren't afraid to spend.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
He thinks we are all idiots. That's how he won the election also.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Read my lips: no new taxes.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:31:38 PM »
He knows we are all idiots. That's how he won the election also.

Fixed. You'd be surprised how easily people are misleaded. My grandfather, for instance, genuinely believes that the recession didn't start until Obama came into office, the bailouts were the Democrat's idea, and his taxes went up in the last few years (they went down). I'd give you less biased examples, but I don't know very many adults that are like that.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »

In all likely-hood it was a ploy to build consumer confidence both on Main street and Wall street.
Think of it this way: How do economies work?  When people spend money.  If people think the deficit is going to go up and up and up with no hope, people will likely stop spending money and save it.  This will cause the economy to spiral downwards.  
In fact, the more government spending we cut, the less money get's paid to businesses that employ people, which means less people are needed by that business which means less jobs.
Economies are about the flow of money and the best way to ensure money flows is to make sure the consumers aren't afraid to spend.

Thats the scary part.  They want us to rely on the government for everything.  Jobs, Retirement, Healthcare, eventually food, water, shelter, you name it...all supplied for by the Feds.  Not good my friend, not good.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »

But in all seriousness, can you post another link from a website I've heard of? I googled it and found nothing, but I'm assuming that that was my bad.

A link for what?  I provided the politifact web link.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
Politifact is a pretty good website. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lorddave

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »

Thats the scary part.  They want us to rely on the government for everything.  Jobs, Retirement, Healthcare, eventually food, water, shelter, you name it...all supplied for by the Feds.  Not good my friend, not good.

That's not what I said.
What I said is that they want to keep in place the specialized jobs that already exist.  Things like the F35 Backup engine.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/02/16/133805530/whether-gop-or-democrats-lawmakers-find-home-turf-cuts-tough

All the people who manufactured that engine are now out of a job.

Of course all of those things ARE relied on by the Federal Government for most people.  How many people are employed based on government contracts?  Millions.  How many people use Social Security?  Millions.  How many people don't have Healthcare because they have crappy jobs from companies that don't offer Health Care?  Millions.  How many people rely on federal regulations to ensure their food is safe to eat?  Millions.  How many people rely on federal regulations to ensure their water is safe to drink?  Millions.  How many people rely on building regulations to ensure their homes are safe to live in?  Millions.

Without the Federal Government, we'd all be royally screwed.  Imagine the fine fields of Georgia filled with factories.  Factories operating using child labor.  Imagine the Hudson River filled with PCBs and no one able to stop it?  Imagine the ozone gone because CFCs never got banned.  You owe your life to the federal government and those regulations.  And if you think for one moment that the laws of supply and demand would magically solve that, you're ignoring history. 

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »

A link for what?  I provided the politifact web link.

I'd never heard of them, and wasn't sure if it was respectable. I now know that it is.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:38 PM »

So... the government shouldn't provide jobs, help those who have paid taxes and helped the system their entire life, or sponsor healthcare. I can see an argument for the last one, but not the first two.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »
You a New World Order believer or something?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:36:32 PM »
What the fuck is wrong with you. It's like you want people to fail who don't share the same political views as you. Liberals are still Americans. You are so ignorant it's ridiculous.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »
What the fuck is wrong with you. It's like you want people to fail who don't share the same political views as you. Liberals are still Americans. You are so ignorant it's ridiculous.

Thank you for contributing.  I once read a report that said liberalism is actually a mental condition....but i digress.

You a New World Order believer or something?

I want us, as a nation to rely on the government less.  Thats what I want.

That's not what I said.
What I said is that they want to keep in place the specialized jobs that already exist.  Things like the F35 Backup engine.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/02/16/133805530/whether-gop-or-democrats-lawmakers-find-home-turf-cuts-tough

All the people who manufactured that engine are now out of a job.

Of course all of those things ARE relied on by the Federal Government for most people.  How many people are employed based on government contracts?  Millions.  How many people use Social Security?  Millions.  How many people don't have Healthcare because they have crappy jobs from companies that don't offer Health Care?  Millions.  How many people rely on federal regulations to ensure their food is safe to eat?  Millions.  How many people rely on federal regulations to ensure their water is safe to drink?  Millions.  How many people rely on building regulations to ensure their homes are safe to live in?  Millions.

Without the Federal Government, we'd all be royally screwed.  Imagine the fine fields of Georgia filled with factories.  Factories operating using child labor.  Imagine the Hudson River filled with PCBs and no one able to stop it?  Imagine the ozone gone because CFCs never got banned.  You owe your life to the federal government and those regulations.  And if you think for one moment that the laws of supply and demand would magically solve that, you're ignoring history. 

You and I agree on one thing too many people are relying on the government for things they could probably provide for themselves.  I'm not calling for a total disconnect.  Lord knows I like driving on my interstates and some regulation on companies poisoning the population can't hurt, but how long could they really continue to do that before said population shuts down the company?  Doesn't this fall back on the ethics we talked about in the other thread.  If that company had any ethics and values it wouldn't do it in the first place.

Didn't you agree all military contracting should be abolished?  Which is it, we either abolish them or we build the F35 motors. 

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »
Obama lies, causing debt to increase.

Bush lies, causes a decade-long war which:
Murders 100,000 innocent people
Kills 4,500 US soldiers and wounds 36,000 more
Allows for the systematic torture of captured enemy combatants in gross violation of the Geneva convention and basic human rights
Drains ~$2,000,000,000,000 (2 Trillion) from an already failing economy
Degrades the US international image even further

Guess which one you post a thread about.

Lorddave

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 10:57:24 AM »
Clinton lies causing deep personal embarrassment and a media fiasco that puts his image from an upstanding citizen to a sexy ladies man who plays the sax.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
I'd like to genuinely ask the rest of TFES whether they think Wardogg decided to become a troll, or has really gone over to that tea-bag fox news nut job side?
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Lorddave

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
I'd like to genuinely ask the rest of TFES whether they think Wardogg decided to become a troll, or has really gone over to that tea-bag fox news nut job side?
It's tough to say. I think he's bored with everyone being against him.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
Obama lies, causing debt to increase.

Bush lies, causes a decade-long war which:
Murders 100,000 innocent people
Kills 4,500 US soldiers and wounds 36,000 more
Allows for the systematic torture of captured enemy combatants in gross violation of the Geneva convention and basic human rights
Degrades the US international image even further

Guess which one you post a thread about.

Pwned.

?

fluffycornsnake

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
$2trillion? Seriously?? Oh my.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »
We haven't had a really good president since Truman. 

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 09:45:25 AM »
Kennedy was all right during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »
Kennedy was all right during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

But terrible everywhere else.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, Clinton was a really good president.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »

And he got some while he was there.

Weegee Board

• Pokemon Master
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »

Then he was impeached for something every politician in the world does anyway.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:36 AM »

Then he was impeached for something every politician in the world does anyway.

Which is retarded because a person's personal life is irrelevant to their ability to lead a country.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
I think they actually impeached him for lying under oath.