A game of sorts...

• 31 Replies
?

spongebue

A game of sorts...
« on: July 13, 2005, 03:55:12 PM »
I call it, stump the master.  One per post (and another when I get back to your previous, if you'd like) try to convince me that the earth is, in fact, flat.  Here's the thing: for each reason you give me, I will give a reason that disproves it.

Let the games begin!

spongebue

?

reaperman

A game of sorts...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 04:01:16 PM »
well, from where I'm standing...yup, it looks pretty darn flat.

?

daguuy

A game of sorts...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 04:02:39 PM »
superman blasted out of the ground and one day when i was yelling at my TV and told me it was flat.

?

spongebue

A game of sorts...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 04:06:49 PM »
because the earth is so big, the curve would have to be very slight, so it is negligible from where you are standing.  However, if you talk to anybody that has been high up in the air in an airplane or what have you, it sure does look pretty round.

Next, looks are not what they seem.  Just because you cannot see the curve from where you are, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  I'm sure that we can agree that air exists, and we cannot see it.

?

User Name

A game of sorts...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 04:08:35 PM »
It must be flat because how would the world be round if it was flat? :P

beeotch.

?

gamer2

A game of sorts...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 04:10:18 PM »
Thr Ground Seems flat couse the curve is slight like Spongebue said, God i hope non of you Flat-believers have children

?

spongebue

A game of sorts...
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 04:12:51 PM »
Made while I made the last post:

Quote from: "daguuy"
superman blasted out of the ground and one day when i was yelling at my TV and told me it was flat.

And I'm sure your parents have told you Santa exists, too.  Just because it's been said, doesn't mean it's true.  And, to add to what has been said in my last post, think of this:

It's like bacteria.  They're so small that you cannot tell by seeing them as you normally are, but if you look through a microscope, they sure exist.

?

Anonymous

A game of sorts...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 04:24:36 PM »
Quote from: "spongebue"
because the earth is so big, the curve would have to be very slight, so it is negligible from where you are standing.  However, if you talk to anybody that has been high up in the air in an airplane or what have you, it sure does look pretty round.

Next, looks are not what they seem.  Just because you cannot see the curve from where you are, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  I'm sure that we can agree that air exists, and we cannot see it.

you'd have to be pretty high up in that airplane...  Higher than almost all of us have been.  since commercial planes really don't go high enough for a good look (government limitations of airways), we have to rely on civillian observation from only 30,000-50,000ft.  Even so, staring at a straight line like the horizon through an aircraft's bubble window may produce distortion.  Also with the low angle you're viewing from (at only 30k-50k), and the extended distance you're looking at, it's possible you were experiencing a mirage effect.

I mean, I've seen the pictures of earth from "space", but I've also seen some pictures of celeb heads grafted onto chimp bodies.  The reports of those government agents that have been higher than 80,000 ft may be tinted or censored.  perhaps they're conditioned to see what they're supposed to.  Perhaps madness sets in as their aircraft fails to produce pressure.

now:
if 'round earth' and 'gravity' are true, why aren't we in space already?  almost all sci-fi writers put large numbers of civillians LIVING in space decades in the past.  You'd think we'd be there, startrek and all...
unless it's a lie.

?

Anonymous

A game of sorts...
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 04:30:10 PM »
don't you think it's a little 'convenient' that we only see one side of the moon?  (the only other body in 'space' visible with the naked eye)

oh you 'round earthers' have your "proof" but not without using your unproven "gravity" theories.

?

spongebue

A game of sorts...
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 04:37:35 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

you'd have to be pretty high up in that airplane...  Higher than almost all of us have been.  since commercial planes really don't go high enough for a good look (government limitations of airways), we have to rely on civillian observation from only 30,000-50,000ft.  Even so, staring at a straight line like the horizon through an aircraft's bubble window may produce distortion.  Also with the low angle you're viewing from (at only 30k-50k), and the extended distance you're looking at, it's possible you were experiencing a mirage effect.

I mean, I've seen the pictures of earth from "space", but I've also seen some pictures of celeb heads grafted onto chimp bodies.  The reports of those government agents that have been higher than 80,000 ft may be tinted or censored.  perhaps they're conditioned to see what they're supposed to.  Perhaps madness sets in as their aircraft fails to produce pressure.

now:
if 'round earth' and 'gravity' are true, why aren't we in space already?  almost all sci-fi writers put large numbers of civillians LIVING in space decades in the past.  You'd think we'd be there, startrek and all...
unless it's a lie.

Have you heard of anybody that has gone that high up, and came back down, running around yelling, "THE EARTH IS FLAT!  THE EARTH IS FLAT!"?  Also, There are other ways to tell on a more large scale.  For example, at this very moment where I live (Minnesota) it is 6:36PM.  The sun is beginning to set, but it's still pretty bright out, and will be for a couple hours,  In the UK, however, it is 12:36.  The sun has set for a few hours, and it is dark outside.

Also, I'd like to try to turn the tables for a minute, and try to bring down this thought: how do you explain people going around the world, such as Magellan or Steve Fossett?

?

spongebue

A game of sorts...
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 04:39:55 PM »
don't you think it's a little 'convenient' that we only see one side of the moon?  (the only other body in 'space' visible with the naked eye)

oh you 'round earthers' have your "proof" but not without using your unproven "gravity" theories.

?

WTF

A game of sorts...
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 04:45:50 PM »

It's not my fault you are too lazy to do any investigating beyond what's visible with the naked eye.  Just because you are stupid and ignorant doesn't mean everyone else is.

?

spongebue

A game of sorts...
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 04:45:55 PM »

Sorry, it submitted when pressing enter to make a new line.

re: moon: Yes, and don't you think it's convenient that you can only see half of a basketball at one time, if it's inflated?

re: gravity: to make your own gravity, so to speak, try taking a simple bucket, and fill it with water about halfway.  Now, swing it in a wide horizontal circle with your arm.  You'll notice that the water does not spill.  That is just how gravity works.  The earth revolves around the sun (and I hope to God I don't have to get into that) and does the same thing on a larger scale.  Now, take that bucket of water, put it over your head, and turn it upside down.  It is gravity that brings the water down to your head.  Maybe that will wake you up and knock some sense into you.

?

WTF

A game of sorts...
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 04:47:59 PM »
Dude that isn't how gravity works :P That's centripetal force you are talking about.  Gravity is there whether a body is in motion or not.

?

spongebue

A game of sorts...
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 04:52:12 PM »
lol, centripital force is one of the things I had trouble with in physics.  Still, gravity is caused in a similar way.

?

Anonymous

A game of sorts...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »

?

reaperman93010

A game of sorts...
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 05:12:28 PM »
nobody can explain how your 'gravity' works--why objects of mass are supposed to attract.  your bucket theory makes life on the 'outside' of the bucket impossible as the people would be thrown off.  And since it's rotating we're all thrown off.

besides, maybe certain people in the aerospace industry have quite a lot to gain from claims that the earth is round.  not only money, but in prevention of chaos.  Also, if an Astronaut came back claiming that the world was flat, you wouldn't be the least surprised as the government locked him in a mental home never to be seen again.

I have a totally unproven theory, and I don't know how to test it:
The repeating pattern theory.  Nature repeats itself in patterns...  what if our universe was a giant, flat, infinitely repeating pattern.  What if there are other you's a set distance away--typing on a computer just as you are now, all unaware of the others existance.  "round earthers" have an infinite universe, so flat earthers can have one too.

When you fly around the world, you're departing from one copy of your life and arriving at the next.  Since the other copy of you left this location as you left home, it would appear to your new family as if you'd just arrived home from a trip.

Perhaps the sun, moon and stars are also infinitely repeating patterns, equal in distance from their copies.

A game of sorts...
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 05:16:44 PM »
nobody can explain how your 'gravity' works--why objects of mass are supposed to attract.

That is wrong of course. Flat earthers have no choice but to rely on lies and stupid theories like the "pusher particles", because their story is just wrong. It's false.

?

reaperman93010

A game of sorts...
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 05:28:02 PM »
very well then, if I'm wrong, then somebody can explain it...

can you explain how all objects of mass attract?
perhaps advancing a theory, as I know nothing's been proven.
Since your whole universe is based on this theory, it should be child's play.

A game of sorts...
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 05:49:54 PM »
Since your whole universe is based on this theory, it should be child's play.

It's not "my" universe. It's THE universe. The one in wich the earth is located. Yours isn't different (except maybe the one in your imagination)

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question232.htm

?

reaperman93010

A game of sorts...
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 05:54:05 PM »
come on now, haven't you read that page.  Here's a quote:

The question of why atoms attract one another is still not understood. The goal is to combine gravity, electromagnetism and strong and weak nuclear forces into a single unified theory. (Check out this page on quantum gravity string theory.)

?

Anonymous

A game of sorts...
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 06:15:27 PM »

"Gravity is the force of attraction between massive particles due to their mass. Weight is determined by the mass of an object and its location with respect to a gravitational field. While a great deal is known about the properties of gravity, the cause of gravitational force is an open question. In the most successful theory of gravitation to date, general relativity, gravity occurs when spacetime is curved by the presence of mass or energy."

Funny thing about gravity, if you actually read, is that we actually don't need massive bodies to prove it's exsistence. Try this take two bowling balls and drill a hole in the top. The point is to fit a hook in there. Now take some rather strong string or rope and hang them from your ceiling. 4 feet down. 1 foot apart. now wait. Unless you're blind, you will see them begin to pull together. No joke. Try it, or shut up about our "un proven" Laws of Gravity and Motion.

A game of sorts...
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 06:17:40 PM »
come on now, haven't you read that page. Here's a quote:

They said the reason is not understood. It,s still an observed phenomenon depsite the fact that they don't understand WHY it happens.

?

Anonymous

A game of sorts...
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 06:20:18 PM »
We only see one side of the moon because it's spinning as it orbits Earth. The rate it spins is at the correct ratio so it appears to not move. If it was not spinning, then it could not orbit the earth.

A game of sorts...
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 06:27:27 PM »
I'm certainly drilling no holes in my perfectly flat ceiling for you.  Bowling balls are plastic.  Perhaps a static charge has built up between them, pulling them closer to eachother.  there are many other forces that pull objects together.  not to mention all those 'experiments' I've seen at various "mystery spot" roadside attractions.

I've heard the moon argument before.  I'm simply saying it's 'convenient' that the moon happens to "rotate" at the same rate it "orbits" at--since it's the most obvious evidence of a relatively close sphere-shaped object.

?

Anonymous

A game of sorts...
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 06:44:19 PM »
If you aren't willing to prove me wrong then hush up. Besides, the same men that are "blind folding us from the truth with their conspiricies on gravity" are the same men that devoloped the ideas of Electromagnetism. Physicists. Yet you believe them on EM...strange...

A game of sorts...
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 06:57:55 PM »
why should I hush up?  this is the Flat Earth Society, and I'm currently located in a free nation.  Perhaps it's those like you who try to hush anything that rubs your faith in the establishment that keep us in the dark on so many levels.  believe what you're taught.  The group is always right.

how many things that you were taught turned out to be dead wrong?

as for static attraction, it's just another idea that could explain what you've seen--I picked one you were more likely to believe.  I've certainly observed more static attraction than I have gravity (in directions other than down).

(naturally I've observed many objects falling to the ground.)

the fact is that neither of us have seen enough of the earth at once to know it's true shape.

A game of sorts...
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 06:58:58 PM »
god you're retarded

?

Anonymous

A game of sorts...
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 07:00:21 PM »
Indeed...

A game of sorts...
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 08:18:31 PM »
matha fuckers.. Im freaking magellan i totaly disprov all your taller park shit... Pwnd fuckas
img]http://www.jimpoz.com/quotes/images/speakers/magellan.jpg[/img]