Dark Knight Rises

• 227 Replies

Lorddave

Re: Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2012, 04:52:06 AM »
SPOILER!

Same reason why they didn't just shoot batman: to make him suffer. To break his spirit. They wanted him to watch as the situation in Gotham got worse and worse until it went boom.

If you're gonna get revenge, you want the person to suffer. And a broken spirit for the rest of your life in a horrible prison is a good way to make someone suffer.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2012, 05:36:09 AM »
Spoilers

I can buy that but it's an enormously extravagent was of exacting revenge on somebody. Most Bond villains are content to torture him or kill the girl, Bane leads a revolution of 12 million people (I think that's the number the soldier on the bridge said lived in Gotham)  and controls it for months. That's intense.

I think it would have been better if Talia had betrayed Bane with the bomb, if he didn't know it would become unstable.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2012, 12:22:35 AM »
Spoilers

I can buy that but it's an enormously extravagent was of exacting revenge on somebody. Most Bond villains are content to torture him or kill the girl, Bane leads a revolution of 12 million people (I think that's the number the soldier on the bridge said lived in Gotham)  and controls it for months. That's intense.

I think it would have been better if Talia had betrayed Bane with the bomb, if he didn't know it would become unstable.
Didn't Bane state at some point that he wanted to give them hope and then crush it?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
Spoilers

Didn't Bane state at some point that he wanted to give them hope and then crush it?

He did, but that really doesn't make any sense in the context of a bomb.  The people of Gotham didn't know that the bomb was going to go off, and if it had, they would have been killed instantly.  There would have been no time for them to despair or have their hope crushed.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »
Spoilers

He did, but that really doesn't make any sense in the context of a bomb.  The people of Gotham didn't know that the bomb was going to go off, and if it had, they would have been killed instantly.  There would have been no time for them to despair or have their hope crushed.
Maybe he was just happy knowing they had no hope, but stil hoped. Fuck you penguinhead. NO PLOT HOLES.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
That's not how hope works.

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2012, 10:11:43 AM »
Spoilers

I am a well selling author and agree with dann.

Maybe he was just happy knowing they had no hope, but stil hoped. Fuck you penguinhead. NO PLOT HOLES.
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:31 PM »
How did Batman get back to Gotham (and past the military quarantine, I might add) after escaping that prison?  Did he just teleport there?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:54:57 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »
How did Batman get back to Gotham (and past the military quarantine, I might add)) after escaping that prison?  Did he just teleport there?

He's Batman.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »
If Adam West were still playing Batman, I bet he would have a Bat-teleportation device on his belt.  Handy.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2012, 12:48:29 AM »
Finally got to see it tonight.  I liked it.  A few nags and observations (POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT):

Bane's voice.  I'm glad it wasn't some "gritty" unintelligible voice, but he was supposed to be South American and his accent should have been more appropriate to the region.  Otherwise I liked his role, but am disappointed at the lack of him having Venom.  Him being strong is believable enough, but that scene in the metro tunnel where Bane kicks Batman's would have been more intense if Batman was beating on him a while and suddenly Bane juiced up and just totally wrecked him.  They are really pretty evenly matched, and although I can believe Batman losing the fight as it is because of his lack of planning beforehand (which is a large portion of how Batman manages to survive most of his encounters, being well informed going into the fight), I think it would have been a good opportunity to REALLY demonstrate what kind of inhuman threat Bane is and not just a really strong guy who wants people dead.  He's a really REALLY strong guy who wants people dead.

I was fairly pleasantly surprised with Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Catwoman.  I expected her to have more of a villainous role, though; obviously Catwoman has never been that nefarious a character and is sometimes "good," but I expected her to be involved in some kind of big heist or something at the least.  Instead she just kind of became a supporting character and vague love interest of Bruce/Batman.  The way the movie played out at the end with them together just didn't really make a lot of sense since there was never really any actual developmental interaction between the two besides the one quick sequence with her telling Batman to leave Gotham with her.

Speaking of villains, I was pleasantly and thoroughly surprised that it turned out that Talia Al'Ghul was the real antagonist the whole time.  Nolan did a good job of using the fact that he'd already made small changes to the Batman universe and with such class that I only briefly for a second questioned the idea that Bane was Ra's Al'Ghul's child, with the full outside Knowledge that the only child Ra's had was a daughter--Not to mention that she's exceptionally business savvy so I should have known better, but I'm not disappointed by this.  It was a delightful twist.

I'm fine with ignoring the small plot holes like how Bruce got back to Gotham from a literal hole in the ground in South America in less than a day, but I figure with his resources (and I don't just mean money) it's not a surprise he'd find a way.  Don't really care about little things like that, that's all part of suspension of disbelief for films in general.

Only other thing that bothers me about this movie, as well as Begins, is why the hell Ra's wanted to destroy Gotham in the first place.  Joker just wanted to spread chaos, that's always been his thing--to "watch the world burn" as Alfred had put it.  But Ra's was determined to obliterate Gotham for no real apparent reason, and he's too intelligent and straight forward to want it to happen "just because."  I would have preferred if Nolan explained a bit of reason here.

Aside from that, I enjoyed it and I hate Nolan for the ending and his saying there won't be another one.  Come on, I want to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt either suit up as Nightwing or take over the Batman cowl!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:50:05 AM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

rooster

« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:39 AM »
Didn't Ra's want to destroy Gotham because it was too corrupt and criminal? In Begins he wanted Bruce to kill that small time thief, showing that Ra's has very strict punishment ideals. He saw it as a dirty little smudge that needed to be wholly wiped out.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
Of course, considering how crime is almost non-existent in Gotham when this movie begins, the motive no longer makes sense.

rooster

« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
Of course, considering how crime is almost non-existent in Gotham when this movie begins, the motive no longer makes sense.
Nah, the cancer is still there. Once Batman quits crime will run rampant again.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
Batman DID quit, for seven years.  The Dent Act gave the police more power to put criminal behind bars and obliterated the majority of big crime in the city.  When Bane popped up Gotham crime was at an all time low.  While Ra's may have wanted to punish Gotham for its crimes, most of that was gone by the time the third movie came.  The premise that Talia wanted to continue her fathers work just to stop corporate fat cats from being so happy with their wealth is a little silly.  But I don't really mind all that, it was still a fun movie.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

rooster

« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »
Batman DID quit, for seven years.  The Dent Act gave the police more power to put criminal behind bars and obliterated the majority of big crime in the city.  When Bane popped up Gotham crime was at an all time low.  While Ra's may have wanted to punish Gotham for its crimes, most of that was gone by the time the third movie came.  The premise that Talia wanted to continue her fathers work just to stop corporate fat cats from being so happy with their wealth is a little silly.  But I don't really mind all that, it was still a fun movie.

I don't have high standards for the story when it comes to superhero movies. I just kinda chalked it up to Ra's being cray cray and once he set his heart on something then by George his daughter will finish it.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
Fair enough.

Also, speaking of Ra's, I was wondering myself if Bruce was just hallucinating him in the scene in the prison, or if Ra's was resurrected and using some trick to taunt Bruce with a hologram or something!  Hard to tell with Nolan's "realistic" approach to the Batman universe.

Also, speaking of the prison that reminds me of another small thing that bugged me about the movie was the sense of passage of time.  Supposedly five months passed while Bruce was in the hole, but it really just felt like a few days.  Nolan could have done a better job demonstrating the passage of time than just having a character state that it's been four months.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

rooster

« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
Also, speaking of the prison that reminds me of another small thing that bugged me about the movie was the sense of passage of time.  Supposedly five months passed while Bruce was in the hole, but it really just felt like a few days.  Nolan could have done a better job demonstrating the passage of time than just having a character state that it's been four months.
YES

That back injury seemed to heal way too fast. I don't even remember them saying how long it had actually been.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »

So maybe she just wanted to finish the job her father had died attempting.  Maybe she wanted to destroy Gotham out of hatred for Batman for his role in her father's death.  Her motivation doesn't have to be rational for it to make sense within the context of the series.

Also, speaking of Ra's, I was wondering myself if Bruce was just hallucinating him in the scene in the prison, or if Ra's was resurrected and using some trick to taunt Bruce with a hologram or something!  Hard to tell with Nolan's "realistic" approach to the Batman universe.

Pretty sure it was a hallucination.  I thought it was a nice nod to his immortality in the comics without actually bringing it into the mix.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
Re: Dann Knight Rises
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
the dann knight rises.

Make it.
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2012, 01:13:39 AM »
No, it's fairly obvious that in the film the prison is in a middle eastern or maybe indian region, but the comic/cartoon/everythingelse Bane is South American.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »

Rushy

« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
It is a shame that they killed Batman at the end of the movie.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »
It is a shame that they killed Batman at the end of the movie.

A crude troll?

Or were you referring to Batman in a personified sense, simply as the hero Gotham knew, as opposed to Bruce Wayne?

Rushy

« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:28 AM »
No, they killed Bruce in the most literal sense possible: by blowing him up with a nuclear weapon.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
So it's a crude troll, then.  Okay.

Rushy

« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2012, 08:08:07 AM »
Uhh, no. The story was purposely written so that one could easily support that Bruce died, but not to make it painfully obvious to people who would like to think he lived.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »
What, did Alfred just imagine seeing him in the cafe at the end, then?

Rushy

« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
Yes. That is why the shot appeared to be more or less like a dream-state. Alfred saw what he wanted to see Bruce become, not the reality of the situation. The entire movie (and the series overall) was themed around Bruce as wanting to die as Batman, not Bruce Wayne. The bomb gave him the ultimate chance to do this.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:51 AM »
I'll have to watch it again, but I think you're wrong.  Bruce used the "clean slate" virus and sapped enough cash from remaining Waynetech funds to gtfo Gotham and get started again elsewhere.  He knew Alfred frequented that joint at a certain time so he took Selina there to show Alf he was doing OK.

But I don't recall the sequence being "dreamlike" so I might be wrong and it might just have been Alfred seeing what he wanted to see and the Waynetech funds that disappeared might have been part of some other plan Bruce had put in place that hadn't been mentioned.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET