Dark Knight Rises

• 227 Replies
?

Nomad

• Official Member
Re: Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »
The Batman Beyond movie was actually pretty good.  That show itself was fairly underrated as well.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »
Michael Keaton was great, he just didn't have the physique. Bale has the physique, but his batman voice is annoying.

Also: 

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »

Fun fact:  Cesar Romero refused to shave off his mustache to play the role of the Joker, so they just covered it up with white makeup.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
Michael Keaton was great, he just didn't have the physique. Bale has the physique, but his batman voice is annoying.

Also:  

A lot of people seem to hate Bale's Batman voice, but I actually like it. I think Bale/Nolan have done a great job of making 'Bruce Wayne' as much of an act as Batman, with the real 'him' lying somewhere inbetween these two dramatic, overblown personas.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I think where Bale is really good is in how he portrays Bruce Wayne.  He plays the spoiled playboy part perfectly, better than anyone else who's done it.  Of course, Nolan writes him better than anybody else has too.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »
I think where Bale is really good is in how he portrays Bruce Wayne.  He plays the spoiled playboy part perfectly, better than anyone else who's done it.  Of course, Nolan writes him better than anybody else has too.

That might be because he's the first Batman to be given an actual origin story, rather than just jumping right into the middle of his life where he's already a crime-fighter.  Bale's portrayal was the first one where I could look at him and automatically think "That's Bruce Wayne" instead of just "That's Batman not wearing his outfit".  And you're also right about his public persona.  All of the other portrayals have shown Wayne to be a strong and respected community and business leader, and that's just not faithful to the comics.  Wayne deliberately acts like a weak character in public so that no one will suspect him of being a strong person like Batman.

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 11:22:39 PM »
The Batman Beyond movie was actually pretty good.  That show itself was fairly underrated as well.
this. I loved the show though I thought that it each episode felt a little rushed, being only 1/2 hour. the one with mr freeze especially.
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:33 AM »
Wayne deliberately acts like a weak character in public so that no one will suspect him of being a strong person like Batman.

It's funny, because this is a major part of Superman's disguise, but people always disregard it because of the glasses.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »
Wayne deliberately acts like a weak character in public so that no one will suspect him of being a strong person like Batman.

It's funny, because this is a major part of Superman's disguise, but people always disregard it because of the glasses.

In fairness, at least Batman covers half his face. Clark Kent doesn't even change his hair.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »
He does in Superman: The Animated series. Also, the glasses can actually work wonders if they're thick enough. And you have the bullshit excuse with the subconscious Kryptonian hypnosis.

Edit: I think it was revealed in Superman #330.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:41:18 AM by Wendy »
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:14 PM »
And a pair of glasses is going to hide this kind of frame, is it? What's this mild-mannered reporter's story, that he bench-presses a car?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »
Precise muscle control. He can suck it in. :P Nah, but there's a reason he always wears a suit, isn't there? And there are plenty of buff people in the world.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
Buff? His neck is the size of a tree! You'd think somebody would go "oh, big muscles, dark hair, distinctively chiselled jawline... Clarke, is there something you're not telling us?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
Which is why they had his super-hypnosis back in the golden age. I just chalk it up to suspension of disbelief. He plays the mild-mannered reporter to everyone he knows, so it's no wonder there's a mental disconnect between seeing that, as you say, "His neck is the size of a tree," and assuming he's a guy who stares into the cold eye-beams of Darkseid and spits in his face. Also, he's a Kansas lad from a small farming community and only came to the city in his late twenties, it's no wonder that he'd be bulky if he's been working on a farm for most of his early life.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
Your biggest problem with a dude who can fly through space and lift entire buildings is his disguise?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
Your biggest problem with a dude who can fly through space and lift entire buildings is his disguise?

No, I don't really like Superman, and that's just one bugbear.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »

Even with the wilful suspension of disbelief, that is still a legitimate question. I can believe, for example, that Magneto has a supernatural mutation that grants him the power to control magnetic substances and create magnetic fields, because it lets the story keep going. However, that's not the same thing as saying he's just magical and can do whatever the hell he wants. For example, in the Ultimatum event he uses his powers to reverse the polarity of the Earth. I'm fine with that, and it is plausible that Earth's magnetic field could change due to an outside force, but the effects of this shift is a shift in the axial poles, rapid climate change and tidal waves, none of which are significantly affected by magnetism. Later in the same event, he somehow cauterizes a wound using his powers. Both of these examples are bullshit, because Magneto is stated to only have the power of control of magnetism. Likewise, we can accept that the last son of Krypton can shatter skyscrapers and shoot lasers from his eyes, but if no explanation is given for his arguably poor disguise, it's equally valid to call bullshit on that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:32:56 PM by Wendy »

Lorddave

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »

Even with the wilful suspension of disbelief, that is still a legitimate question. I can believe, for example, that Magneto has a supernatural mutation that grants him the power to control magnetic substances and create magnetic fields, because it lets the story keep going. However, that's not the same thing as saying he's just magical and can do whatever the hell he wants. For example, in the Ultimatum event he uses his powers to reverse the polarity of the Earth. I'm fine with that, and it is plausible that Earth's magnetic field could change due to an outside force, but the effects of this shift is a shift in the axial poles, rapid climate change and tidal waves, none of which are significantly affected by magnetism. Later in the same event, he somehow cauterizes a wound using his powers. Both of these examples are bullshit, because Magneto is stated to only have the power of control of magnetism. Likewise, we can accept that the last son of Krypton can shatter skyscrapers and shoot lasers from his eyes, but if no explanation is given for his arguably poor disguise, it's equally valid to call bullshit on that.

Y'all need to read the comics.

His glasses are not ordinary glasses.  The lenses are made from his rocket ship, which has a slightly hypnotic effect allowing him to fool everyone he see's.
At one point he defeats someone by having all hypnotic signals removed from the Earth.  This includes his glasses.  He actually walks into work and everyone says "Superman?  Why are you dressed as Clark?"
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »
Later in the same event, he somehow cauterizes a wound using his powers.

lrn2induction heating
http://www.inductionatmospheres.com/induction_heating.html?gclid=CNKPj6j3pKkCFUaK4AodTHZntg
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2011, 04:25:09 PM »

His glasses are not ordinary glasses.  The lenses are made from his rocket ship, which has a slightly hypnotic effect allowing him to fool everyone he see's.
At one point he defeats someone by having all hypnotic signals removed from the Earth.  This includes his glasses.  He actually walks into work and everyone says "Superman?  Why are you dressed as Clark?"

That's kinda silly.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Lorddave

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »

That's kinda silly.
Indeed it is.  But it's Canon.  At least at one point.  Here's the wiki entry on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Kent#Secret_identity_security
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
Later in the same event, he somehow cauterizes a wound using his powers.

lrn2induction heating
http://www.inductionatmospheres.com/induction_heating.html?gclid=CNKPj6j3pKkCFUaK4AodTHZntg

Induction heating flesh? Really? I've actually tried putting my hand on an active induction plate. Nothing happened.

Uh...

And you have the bullshit excuse with the subconscious Kryptonian hypnosis. [...] I think it was revealed in Superman #330.
[...][They] had his super-hypnosis back in the golden age.

I kinda did. At least I read up. They removed this power after a while, though. I don't know what the excuse for it is now.

Vindictus

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Resurrect thread!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/trailers/11150457

What the hell kind of a trailer is that?  They showed very little of the actual movie.  Bleh.  Still, Bane looked pretty creepy.  And who was that guy in the hospital bed?

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Resurrect thread!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/trailers/11150457

What the hell kind of a trailer is that?  They showed very little of the actual movie.  Bleh.  Still, Bane looked pretty creepy.  And who was that guy in the hospital bed?

Commissioner Gordon.

Vindictus

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
I think it's just a clip, not the trailer. I could be wrong.

Next year needs to come faster!

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
I think it is just a clip and must be quite new.  They played it before the Harry Potter movie and I about jumped out of my seat.  The week before in the same theater they didn't play it.

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
It's more like a teaser than a trailer.

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »
It's more like a teaser than a trailer.

Hmm, what are those called again?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
I'm excited.  That didn't look like Gary Oldman in the bed, though.  Is he still playing Gordon?  Could have just been the shitty resolution and that half his face was obscured.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET