Dark Knight Rises

• 227 Replies
?

Nomad

• Official Member
Re: Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »
I liked all three Matrices.  I was thoroughly entertained by them, and that's the point.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »
I agree. Also, they spurred my imagination, which is more than I could say about a lot of films.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
The third matrix is a massive lump of trying-to-make-sense.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
I am a big fan of the Matrix trilogy, perhaps because it was completely original. Albeit I had two minor complaints: Neo's psychic powers outside the matrix, and all the slightly less annoying the religious themes.

As for the Dark Knight Rises, one thing that concerns me is maintaining that strong link with reality. The completed films are so strong because the characters have all been plausible/realistic. Other characters are supremely cartoony and stretch the suspension of disbelief. For instance, I would have been horrified if Mr. Freeze was scheduled to show up again with his "freeze ray". Bane seems like he has a lot of potential to cross that line, and it concerns me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:15:10 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
I am a big fan of the Matrix trilogy, perhaps because it was completely original. Albeit I had two minor complaints: Neo's psychic powers outside the matrix, and all the slightly less annoying the religious themes.

As for the Dark Knight Rises, one thing that concerns me is maintaining that strong link with reality. The completed films are so strong because the characters have all been plausible/realistic. Other characters are supremely cartoony and stretch the suspension of disbelief. For instance, I would have been horrified if Mr. Freeze was scheduled to show up again with his "freeze ray". Bane seems like he has a lot of potential to cross that line, and it concerns me.

Why do you think Bane will cross the line? I thought he would be one of the more believable villains.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »
Why do you think Bane will cross the line? I thought he would be one of the more believable villains.
I said I think he has a lot of potential to cross that line into being completely unbelievable. I'm not saying that his character can't be handled right. They just need a decent explanation and impose certain limits to his abilities.

I think if Ras Al Ghul was introduced in combination with his lazarus chemical pits of eternal youth, I would have been pissed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:54:41 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:44 PM »

eh. anything effecting biology in such a extreme manner seems slightly unrealistic.
he has the power
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
Actually I think Freeze could work too.  I read the "Snow" series, that was fairly recent, and it was pretty good and had a believable story.

I mean, sure it would still kind of push the line of reality but it's still just a fuckin' movie.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
eh. anything effecting biology in such a extreme manner seems slightly unrealistic.
he has the power
Precisely.

Actually I think Freeze could work too.  I read the "Snow" series, that was fairly recent, and it was pretty good and had a believable story.

I mean, sure it would still kind of push the line of reality but it's still just a fuckin' movie.
Hmm. I consider the hallucinogenic flowers, and two-face to be pushing the line.
...Freeze is centered around his weapon, and his weapon completely disobeys the laws of physics. I'm not saying that Freeze can't be a respectable character, just that I can't think of a way for him to mesh well in the set Batman movie reality.

I should really start reading the batman comics though.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
The first movie had a giant gun that magically turned all the water in the city into vapor yet didn't kill people.

Did no one notice that? I do admit the villain's have been very plausible, but a freeze ray makes just as much sense as that machine.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
The first movie had a giant gun that magically turned all the water in the city into vapor yet didn't kill people.

Did no one notice that? I do admit the villain's have been very plausible, but a freeze ray makes just as much sense as that machine.

It didn't automatically target all the water in any given city, you had to aim it at a specific water source.  Also, it wasn't being carried around and used casually like a day-to-day weapon.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »

It didn't automatically target all the water in any given city, you had to aim it at a specific water source.  Also, it wasn't being carried around and used casually like a day-to-day weapon.

It sent out a pulse that affected an entire city yet left the water in people alone.

I'm sorry, I didn't know microwaves could tell the difference between people water and water in pipes. Good thing I was wrong.

You do have to admit it is a ridiculous idea.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
It sent out a pulse that affected an entire city yet left the water in people alone.
I believe a monorail carried it around, and it was directed at underwater pipelines beneath the train.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
I believe a monorail carried it around, and it was directed at underwater pipelines beneath the train.

The train was above the city on a rail system. Microwaves aren't really known for penetrating metal (that mesh screen you can see your food through is all that is keeping you away from horrible cancers) truthfully the machine is just a ridiculous idea. Anyone who knows how much electricity a microwave uses, and has seen how long it take to even get a few cups of water up to the boiling point would see this machine as impossible and simply a way to move the plot along.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 09:43:08 PM »

The train was above the city on a rail system. Microwaves aren't really known for penetrating metal (that mesh screen you can see your food through is all that is keeping you away from horrible cancers) truthfully the machine is just a ridiculous idea. Anyone who knows how much electricity a microwave uses, and has seen how long it take to even get a few cups of water up to the boiling point would see this machine as impossible and simply a way to move the plot along.

I wasn't commenting on the functionality of the microwave, but its concentrated direction. (I didn't recall seeing humans standing beneath the train) I fully acknowledge the large leaps that were made in respect to its functionality.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »

Yes, that is an official picture.

Lorddave

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 01:28:42 PM »
So bane.

But who else?
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lorddave

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
The joker was never meant to be how heath ledger played him
It wasn't?

Dunno about other people, but this is the joker I think of as the default/classic joker:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:37:02 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »
The cartoon joker was way too cartoony.  Read the comics.  Specifically Killing Joke.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
The cartoon joker was way too cartoony.  Read the comics.  Specifically Killing Joke.
I read killing joke simply because I quickly learned it was a premise in Arkham Asylum. I haven't read too many others though, and I saw nearly episode of Batman:TAS on TV as a kid.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »
The joker was never meant to be how heath ledger played him
It wasn't?

Dunno about other people, but this is the joker I think of as the default/classic joker:

Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »

Famed for his workout routines including several thousand pressups a day. Practised during solitary confinement.

That guy is actually pretty fat.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 03:27:08 AM »
Being pudgy as well as muscular in no way detracts from being muscular. Behold, the strongest man in the world 2009 and 2010:
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2011, 12:39:19 PM »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 12:43:02 PM »
I really do picture comic book version of the Joker more than anything else when he's mentioned (particularly the one from Killing Joke), but I grew up with the Batman show, so I can't help but make that connection above, say, Jack Nicholson or the animated series.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Lorddave

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »
I really do picture comic book version of the Joker more than anything else when he's mentioned (particularly the one from Killing Joke), but I grew up with the Batman show, so I can't help but make that connection above, say, Jack Nicholson or the animated series.

Same here.

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »

Same here.

Heath Ledger is far more mesmerising to watch than the cartoony one that Jack Nicholson portrays.
Cheesus is so wise I sometimes think he's my alt.
CheesusCrust is wise.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »
Heath Ledger's joker is just much more believable in movie format.
But I preferred Michael Keaton over Christian Bale.

As for cartoons, the portrayal of the joker was superior in the Batman Beyond movie than Batman the Animated Series. If you haven't seen the Batman Beyond Movie, but you did watch the original Batman series occasionally, I would recommend it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:43:49 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »