Dark Knight Rises

• 227 Replies
?

Nomad

• Official Member
Dark Knight Rises
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »
Probably already a thread somewhere buried deep in here about the new Batman, but I don't care to look for it.  I read that Anne Hathaway was cast for Selina Kyle (not necessarily going to be Catwoman yet, they seem to have deliberately not mentioned the moniker; just Selina Kyle), and some scrawny faggot as Bane.  Nolan, you really are not making me feel hopeful.  But then again, I thought it was a joke (HAW HAW) that Ledger was cast for Joker, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Lorddave

Re: Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
She's deinitely cast as catwoman.
So catwoman and Bane. I can't imagine how they're going to pull that off. I guess a muscle bound drug addict didn't have enough personality to be the sole villain.
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »
But Bane was scrawny until he took his magic muscle drug. (as far as I can remember)

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »
But Bane was scrawny until he took his magic muscle drug.

QFT. Casting someone who doesn't have Bane's physique is a no-brainer, since he's supposed to be a 'roid-raging maniac, akin to a drug-fuelled Hulk.

Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
I just really hope that he doesn't end up being a stupid shit like the one in the old batman movie.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I think after the last movie, this is bound to be a disappointing film.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:08 AM »
Maybe not disappointing, but possibly not as good as TDN.  Nolan seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders and is aware exactly what he's up against (his own work, and billions of stupid rabid fans of it)
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »
Maybe not disappointing, but possibly not as good as TDN.  Nolan seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders and is aware exactly what he's up against (his own work, and billions of stupid rabid fans of it)

TDN?

That said, I agree with you. I try to make it a habit never to judge a sequel on its predecessor, because that will only do one of two things to me. If it's better, that takes away from the first film/book/series/video game/generation of edible underpants. If it's worse, I'm inevitably disappointed, because I expected something en par with the first. And before anyone mentions the golden middle where both of them are equally awesome/dramatic/action-packed/delicious, when comparing two similar products, when did that last happen to you?
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:04:08 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but them hiring a small Bane could be what saves this movie. Cast him as a demented tweeker perhaps. Muscle bound Bane seems to be lacking any personality, and a villain with no depth does not bode well for a comic book movie. If all goes well he won't get dosed with the steroids himself except at certain moments in the movie, or perhaps he'll pull a scarecrow and only start using them during the final fight.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
And before anyone mentions the golden middle where both of them are equally awesome/dramatic/action-packed/delicious, when comparing two similar products, when did that last happen to you?

Lord of the Rings trilogy?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
I wouldn't know, I never got through the first book. It's a good story and it has a rich background with likeable, diverse characters, but it's written in a way that just doesn't appeal to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but them hiring a small Bane could be what saves this movie. Cast him as a demented tweeker perhaps. Muscle bound Bane seems to be lacking any personality, and a villain with no depth does not bode well for a comic book movie. If all goes well he won't get dosed with the steroids himself except at certain moments in the movie, or perhaps he'll pull a scarecrow and only start using them during the final fight.

I honestly think that the Scarecrow could carry an entire Batman movie, though. I forget if they killed him off or not in Begins.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »
He survived begins and makes an appearance in the dark knight.

The lord of the rings trilogy is good, but it can drag. The action is rather boring, but it's the overall plot that drives you, and the characters give the book life.

I believe the one thing that will always make movies less appealing to me than books is the actor's range. A good author can always tell you exactly what is going on in a character's head, but it takes an amazing writer, and an equally good actor to pull it off in a movie.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
True. Then again, I've become sort of used to the "quick fix" I get out of a movie as opposed to a book. It's become rather hard to stay focused while reading for me.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
Damn it, people, lrn2Batman, and lrn2Bane.

But Bane was scrawny until he took his magic muscle drug.

QFT. Casting someone who doesn't have Bane's physique is a no-brainer, since he's supposed to be a 'roid-raging maniac, akin to a drug-fuelled Hulk.

First of all, no, Bane was not scrawny before he took Venom.  He was actually just as physically capable as Batman.  The Venom simply gave him an edge by boosting his strength to abnormal levels.

Second of all, even if it were true, that still doesn't make the case for having a wimp play Bane.  He would still be muscular after taking the Venom, wouldn't he?

Also, Tom Hardy is largely unknown to American audiences.  After excellent performances from Liam Neeson and Heath Ledger, it doesn't seem right that the grand finale is a relative nobody.  It's like they're taking a gamble with this guy.

What's the point of selecting a certain villain if you just change everything about them?  There are plenty of "demented tweekers" among the Batman villains, but Bane is not one of them.  You're saying he lacks any personality, what are you basing that on?  Batman and Robin?  Bane was never supposed to be a big dumb lunkhead who just roars and smashes shit up.  But neither was he supposed to be anything similar to a guy like this:

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »
And you really think that guy won't go through a year long bootcamp workout schedule? I said the same thing about Heath ledger before the movie came out. The joker was never meant to be how heath ledger played him yet who wasn't pleasantly surprised? If anything you should at least give his casting choices a chance before commenting.

I do have one agreement with you, I have hated his choice of batman for a long time, he has a rather snotty look about him at all times, and he just doesn't have the voice for him either.

As for your question, I see all batman characters as either their comic versions of themselves or as "batman the animated series" circa 1990's.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Saddam, I never said Bane was scrawny. What I meant was that Bane goes to the physical peak of human potential, or even beyond it, when he uses Venom.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
And you really think that guy won't go through a year long bootcamp workout schedule?

He doesn't look like the type.  But then again, neither did Christian Bale, so point taken.

I said the same thing about Heath ledger before the movie came out.

What same thing?  Ledger was a well-known and critically-acclaimed actor before The Dark Knight, and his character wasn't supposed to be physically imposing, so I don't think his physique was ever a problem.

The joker was never meant to be how heath ledger played him

It wasn't?

If anything you should at least give his casting choices a chance before commenting.

A chance to what?  I'm not reviewing the movie here.  This is all the information we're going to be getting for the next several months.  I shouldn't have an opinion until then?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
An opinion is fine. An educated opinion is better.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
Tom Hardy was in 'Bronson' which was apparently a fantastic film and his character was a pretty muscular psychopath.

In fact, he seems to be quite a prolific British actor.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
So saddam, do you admit you judged too early? I say that dude pretty much exemplifies muscle bound badass that could break batman's back.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »
I was just looking that up myself.  DAMN YOU AND YOUR MISLEADING ASSUMPTIONS, NOMAD!

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »
lol. Also, grats on 20k posts. You whore.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
Nolan did it right twice, I trust him to do it right a third time.

I was also talking about the LotR movie trilogy :)

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 04:46:29 PM »

The movie trilogy was alright. It just seemed to drag sometimes.

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »

Famed for his workout routines including several thousand pressups a day. Practised during solitary confinement.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
I was just looking that up myself.  DAMN YOU AND YOUR MISLEADING ASSUMPTIONS, NOMAD!

WELL HE LOOKED WIMPY IN THE MYSPACE ARTICLE I READ
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »

The movie trilogy was alright. It just seemed to drag sometimes.

I watched the first film on the plane and have never been so bored. I sat through about half to 3/4s of an hour of it while they were walking through a wood, I woke up later, they were still walking through a wood, fell asleep again and woke up to see them walking through a mountainous wood. I thought it was a home-movie of my Duke of Edinburgh expedition...

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 04:58:30 AM »

TDN?

That said, I agree with you. I try to make it a habit never to judge a sequel on its predecessor, because that will only do one of two things to me. If it's better, that takes away from the first film/book/series/video game/generation of edible underpants. If it's worse, I'm inevitably disappointed, because I expected something en par with the first. And before anyone mentions the golden middle where both of them are equally awesome/dramatic/action-packed/delicious, when comparing two similar products, when did that last happen to you?

Interesting philosophy....how would you rate Matrix 3 based on that?

?

Eddy Baby

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 05:02:07 AM »
It's a shitty film in general, even if you don't compare it to anything.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 05:14:16 AM »
It's a shitty film in general, even if you don't compare it to anything.

This is the kind of conclusion I would come to. However, as I am a massive fan of the franchise, I didn't think it was shit. It was just mediocre.