• 192 Replies

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
Re: Not a Christian Nation
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
Who said anything about being forced?

You went to a private school, didn't you? When something in a school is "not" mandatory, teachers generally make it so anyway. Or at least, that's my experience. And there are many schools where it is mandatory. This should be illegal.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2011, 08:06:37 AM »
ITT:  Wardogg has shown that many of the founders were Christian, but he has not shown that the U.S. Government was founded as a Christian government, as opposed to a secular one.

Wardogg, can you point out where in the U.S. Constitution it establishes us as a Christian nation?

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
Wardogg has shown that many of the founders were Christian

No, he has not because he cannot.  You share Wardogg's misunderstanding and it weakens your argument.

Even the devil can claim to be Christian, but it does not make it so.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »

No, he has not because he cannot.  You share Wardogg's misunderstanding and it weakens your argument.

Even the devil can claim to be Christian, but it does not make it so.

Every Christian denomination claims to be the true interpretation, the true religion, and all the others are decieved.  The only logical explanation is that they are ALL WRONG at least to some degree.  I am not going to argue whether or not the version of Christianity our founders believed in is really Christianity or not.  If you want to argue which denomination or variant of Christianity is the true one, create your own thread.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
The only logical explanation is that they are ALL WRONG at least to some degree.
If you want to argue which denomination or variant of Christianity is the true one, create your own thread.
I suggest you follow your own advice.

Quote from: Marcus Aurelius
Your insistence that they believed in even a version of Christianity weakens your argument that these same people founded a non-Christian government.

I agree with you that the United States government was never Christian at any time. (You do agree with that, don't you?)
I disagree with the assumption that its founders were Christians.  If you think this is irrelevant, then do please stop asserting that they were Christians.  You clearly stand with Wardogg on that issue.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »
The only logical explanation is that they are ALL WRONG at least to some degree.
If you want to argue which denomination or variant of Christianity is the true one, create your own thread.
I suggest you follow your own advice.

Quote from: Marcus Aurelius
Your insistence that they believed in even a version of Christianity weakens your argument that these same people founded a non-Christian government.

I agree with you that the United States government was never Christian at any time. (You do agree with that, don't you?)
I disagree with the assumption that its founders were Christians.  If you think this is irrelevant, then do please stop asserting that they were Christians.  You clearly stand with Wardogg on that issue.

The question as to whether or not the founders were Chistians has very little to do with whether or not the U.S. is a Christian Nation, that is all I wanted to point out to Wardogg, not bring up an argument on whether or not they were actually Christians.  It's a tangent, and it is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:39:23 PM by Marcus Aurelius »

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »

You went to a private school, didn't you? When something in a school is "not" mandatory, teachers generally make it so anyway. Or at least, that's my experience. And there are many schools where it is mandatory. This should be illegal.

No I didnt, and I grew up in a small town we were not forced to pray.  At least as far as I can remember...its been many years since i was in grade school  but for sure not in Jr High or High school.  My kids current elementary school has a moment of silence....is that so bad?

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »

No I didnt, and I grew up in a small town we were not forced to pray.  At least as far as I can remember...its been many years since i was in grade school  but for sure not in Jr High or High school.  My kids current elementary school has a moment of silence....is that so bad?

No. Not at all. I'm fine with that.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »

Yeah I heard about somebody suing about their kids school having a moment of silence.  I personally do not see how that is a public school sponsored religious practice, which is unconstitutional.  If it has a secular purpose, which is a requirment of the lime test, then I have no problem with it.

Even having Christian plays, or reading of the Bible is fine in my opinion, so long as it is done from a literary perspective, and not a religious one, is perfectly constitutional.  The Bible is an important piece of literature that is reference more times than any other book in history.

How can you read "The Master and the Margarita" without first being familiar with the Bible?  I had to read that for an English class in college, I was completely lost because I had not ever read the gospels at the time.

All that was deemed unconstitutional was school sponsored prayer and worship.  Though, students are still allowed to pray on their own time.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »
My school has Christian plays, and no body has a problem with it. They also have Greek Mythology plays. I, and any reasonable person, don't have a problem so long as it isn't indoctrination and you aren't forcing kids to pretend they believe in something they don't. Prayer is fine, so long as the teacher doesn't lead it and there isn't any pressure as to whether or not you pray or who you pray to.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2011, 04:18:59 PM »
Perhaps it is only my opinion, but it seems that capitalism was the chief influence on the dominant official version of the american flag.  I say this because it bears a striking resemblance to the flag of the East India Company - especially the stripes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_East_India_Company#Flags

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
Perhaps it is only my opinion, but it seems that capitalism was the chief influence on the dominant official version of the american flag.  I say this because it bears a striking resemblance to the flag of the East India Company - especially the stripes.

This comment came out of nowhere.

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:54 PM »

This comment came out of nowhere.

My point is that capitalism and not christianity appears to have been the chief influence upon the government approved design of the american flag.  This is further evident in that stars in the union area of the american flag replaced a cross which appeared in the same area of many flags of the East India Company.  That is in fact almost the only difference between the american flag and most flags used by the East India Company.