Zetetics-Happier People?

• 76 Replies
?

Nolhekh

• Animator
Re: Zetetics-Happier People?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »
These forums have forced me to research and to educate myself in order to make educated responses, and a result, I have come out a smarter, more confident, and truely happier person as a result.  As much as I disagree with the stance of those true Flat Earth believers, I respect, and thank them for providing those arguments which gave me the opportunity to expand my knowledge, and my understanding of why I believe in Round Earth.

?

doyh

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »
These forums have forced me to research and to educate myself in order to make educated responses, and a result, I have come out a smarter, more confident, and truely happier person as a result.  As much as I disagree with the stance of those true Flat Earth believers, I respect, and thank them for providing those arguments which gave me the opportunity to expand my knowledge, and my understanding of why I believe in Round Earth.

As much as I may condescend and be generally abrasive to them, this.
If we would all stop deflecting questions, maybe we could get somewhere.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »
The RET frustration does show through and is a limitation to happiness.

My frustration is not with RET.  My frustration is with FE'ers who refuse to give a straight answers to simple questions.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 06:01:37 PM »
It struck me when I was first informed by a science teacher that 'there is no truth in science.' Of course, there is only hypothesis testing but never a sequence of results that can be deemed a truth. 

To never reach the finish line always seemed sad because an ending could never be attained no matter how much effort was put in.

?

doyh

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 06:05:37 PM »
It struck me when I was first informed by a science teacher that 'there is no truth in science.' Of course, there is only hypothesis testing but never a sequence of results that can be deemed a truth. 

To never reach the finish line always seemed sad because an ending could never be attained no matter how much effort was put in.

What joy lies in the finish line? If you run because you like to finish, then why run at all?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »

Truth is a journey, not a destination.

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
Truth does not have an expiry date.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2011, 06:13:10 PM »
Truth is stranger than fiction.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
There is sometimes happiness in certain victories.  For example, in realizing that you have worked to solve a problem and reached a conclusive result.  Think Zetetic and you will find such results. 

?

doyh

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
There is sometimes happiness in certain victories.  For example, in realizing that you have worked to solve a problem and reached a conclusive result.  Think Zetetic and you will find such results. 

If we reached the end of science, millions of people would be unemployed.

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »

If you like your worldview to be limited you can indeed get those results.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

?

doyh

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
There is sometimes happiness in certain victories.  For example, in realizing that you have worked to solve a problem and reached a conclusive result.  Think Zetetic and you will find such results.  

You literally just said zeteticism is not science.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:30:47 PM by doyh »

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
There is sometimes happiness in certain victories.  For example, in realizing that you have worked to solve a problem and reached a conclusive result.  Think Zetetic and you will find such results.  

You literally just said the zeteticism is not science.

What I am expressing (or trying to, anyway) is that happiness can be found in the Zetetic world.

Agreed!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:32:15 PM by gotham »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

Of course it is.  Fiction has to make sense.

?

doyh

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »

You literally just said the zeteticism is not science.

What I am expressing (or trying to, anyway) is that happiness can be found in the Zetetic world.

Why an't you find that happiness in normal science? You just need a smaller scale. You may not be able to create the theory of everything, but you can create the theory of evolution. I'd imagine that Darwin felt the level of contentedness that you describe.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
Darwin wasn't really a happy individual.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

berny_74

• The IceWall! Beat that
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »
Darwin wasn't really a happy individual.

Would you be if you were perpetually seasick?  I mean 5 years sailing around and you never get over seasickness.  Would you be happy?

Berny
Also got seasick

To be fair, sometimes what FE'ers say makes so little sense that it's hard to come up with a rebuttal.
Moonlight is good for you.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
He probably got bits of sick in his gigantic beard. Yuk! That's why I only ever wear a moustache.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
I don't think there is any room at all for the huge generalization that RE'ers are generally unhappy and jaded.  It is, as has been said, only because the setup of this forum in general that they come here and you think that.  They arrive here to what seems to be a ludicrous idea (whether it is or not isn't the point), they challenge it, and what are the first responses they get?  "lol noob" "read the faq" "lurk moar" "wow ur dum"

When you guys learn to put yourselves in another's shoes, then you'll see how this forum practically encourages pissing people off on arrival.  It's rare I stay on a forum that gives such terrible welcomes and is so ill-receiving.

Though I think this supposed "more happiness" Zetetics think they experience is due to the fact that, honestly, quite a lot of FE'ers on this site exhibit quite the superiority complex over RE'ers, and it's sort of saddening to see a whole forum group cooperating in such a unanimous work of ego-inflating.  Obviously, there are RE'ers that are like this as well, but there isn't exactly an REB section, now is there?  For if there was and they claimed to be happier, I'd have to challenge that as well.

But either way...it'd be nice if you guys (from both groups, so calm the hell down) would get off your Goddamn high horse and stop acting like God himself has spoken to you about this (and if he has...just...please, please leave).

I'm going to go off and suggest that someone reading through this is considering quoting it and saying "lol frustr8ed n jayded muhc?????"  Frustraded?  Yes.  For the above reasons.  Unhappy and jaded?  Hell naw.  But everyone gets to be frustrated now and then.
Recently listened to:

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »
Ignorance is bliss.  Perhaps that's why the zetetics around here are so happy.  :P

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
That could also be it.  But then my big post goes to waste.  :(
Recently listened to:

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »
:(
Turn that frown upside down RE er!  :)
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 01:19:18 AM »
How happy an idea might make someone is not evidence of how true the idea is. There are countless examples of ideas which are completely void of truth content, but, believing the idea makes some people happy.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2011, 08:45:38 AM »
When you guys learn to put yourselves in another's shoes, then you'll see how this forum practically encourages pissing people off on arrival.  It's rare I stay on a forum that gives such terrible welcomes and is so ill-receiving.

Actually, the majority of FE'ers here were RE'ers when they first joined. Yes, we were stupid noobs like most people, but we were never angry. When I joined I had to endure Parsifal answering ever post newbies made, yet I never got mad. It is only fitting that a calmer, happier person like myself eventually was compelled through good science to become a zetetic.

?

Thork

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2011, 08:56:25 AM »
When you guys learn to put yourselves in another's shoes, then you'll see how this forum practically encourages pissing people off on arrival.  It's rare I stay on a forum that gives such terrible welcomes and is so ill-receiving.

Actually, the majority of FE'ers here were RE'ers when they first joined. Yes, we were stupid noobs like most people, but we were never angry. When I joined I had to endure Parsifal answering ever post newbies made, yet I never got mad. It is only fitting that a calmer, happier person like myself eventually was compelled through good science to become a zetetic.
I was a furious noob. No hang on, no. That's not right, I wasn't. Bemused and sorrowful, with boughts of melancholy yes. Angry, no. It seems EG is correct.
Of course now I am a Zetetic, so I am much happier. :)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2011, 09:07:13 AM »
When you guys learn to put yourselves in another's shoes, then you'll see how this forum practically encourages pissing people off on arrival.  It's rare I stay on a forum that gives such terrible welcomes and is so ill-receiving.

I was a furious noob. No hang on, no. That's not right, I wasn't. Bemused and sorrowful, with boughts of melancholy yes. Angry, no. It seems EG is correct.
Of course now I am a Zetetic, so I am much happier. :)
Reading stuff like this makes me giggle.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 11:50:51 PM »
Well gee aren't you guys just shining pinnacles of humanity.

An exception or two does not make a majority.  If you guys are even being honest.  :)
Recently listened to:

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2011, 12:14:42 AM »
My life was incomplete before I discovered that the Earth was flat.

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 01:05:20 AM »

Just out of curiousity, how exactly did you discover this, given that it takes more than twice as long to fly to Melbourne Australia from London than it does from Buenos Aires, and, how neither one of those trips takes you over the North Pole? 

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
I'm sorry you appreciate so little that you couldn't have a complete life without that one fact.
Recently listened to: