Christine Garwood's book "Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea"

• 12 Replies
Hello, I want to consult something in that book, do you know whether it's in PDF somewhere?

John Davis

• Secretary Of The Society
  • Administrator
  • Most Prolific Scientist, 2019
Re: Christine Garwood's book "Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:50:52 AM »
Hello, I want to consult something in that book, do you know whether it's in PDF somewhere?
If you can't buy it from the publisher legally, we can't help you.

I just got this book for Christmas along with a new copy of ENAG.  Can't wait to read it.
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:42:48 AM »
I don't want to read the entire book, I just want to consult something.
May be someone who has the book can tell me what I want to know.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
I don't want to read the entire book, I just want to consult something.
May be someone who has the book can tell me what I want to know.

You can purchase the book online.

?

doyh

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »

Try your local library. If that doesn't work, Demonoid (if you have an account) or Pirate Bay. Or, more legally, start a thread here or in the Lounge asking someone to summarize it. (Although, the RIAA would still call it illegal...)
If we would all stop deflecting questions, maybe we could get somewhere.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »

Try your local library. If that doesn't work, Demonoid (if you have an account) or Pirate Bay. Or, more legally, start a thread here or in the Lounge asking someone to summarize it. (Although, the RIAA would still call it illegal...)

It wasn't my intention to do something illegal, besides, I see that the book's price is from $1 used and $4 new, but I don't live in the US, and I don't think I'll find it in my city.

I just wanted to verify something that I read at Wikipedia, the article is citing this book as the source and I wanted to see what it actually says (and the basis that the book's author had to say that).

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »

It wasn't my intention to do something illegal, besides, I see that the book's price is from $1 used and $4 new, but I don't live in the US, and I don't think I'll find it in my city.

I just wanted to verify something that I read at Wikipedia, the article is citing this book as the source and I wanted to see what it actually says (and the basis that the book's author had to say that).
Feel free to ask and I'll look it up.  Include the full citation, if you don't mind. 
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
Feel free to ask and I'll look it up.  Include the full citation, if you don't mind. 

OK. The page is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._W._Bullinger#Theology

The citation is under Theology, and it is "According to Christine Garwood, he was also a 'flat earth' supporter, a member of the Universal Zetitic Society".

Thanks.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 05:37:01 AM »

OK. The page is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._W._Bullinger#Theology

The citation is under Theology, and it is "According to Christine Garwood, he was also a 'flat earth' supporter, a member of the Universal Zetitic Society".

Thanks.
Yes, its on page 159 of Chrtine Garwood's Flat Earth hardback.  Specifically, it says: "Universal Zetetic Society members included an archbishop, a major-general, several counts and colonels, the eminent Anglican clergyman and Bible scholar Ethelbert William Bullinger, and the senior moderator in natural science at Trinity College Dublin, Dr Edward Haughton."
Quantum Ab Hoc

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
Yes, its on page 159 of Chrtine Garwood's Flat Earth hardback.  Specifically, it says: "Universal Zetetic Society members included an archbishop, a major-general, several counts and colonels, the eminent Anglican clergyman and Bible scholar Ethelbert William Bullinger, and the senior moderator in natural science at Trinity College Dublin, Dr Edward Haughton."

OK, thanks. I would like to know her sources, but I guess I should have to contact her for that.

John Davis

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:55 AM »

OK, thanks. I would like to know her sources, but I guess I should have to contact her for that.
Indeed.  The particular passage is uncited.
Quantum Ab Hoc

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
I tried Eccentric Lives and Peculiar Notions, but found no reference there, either.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »

Thank you for the information you provided.
Indeed.  The particular passage is uncited.